Economy and Trading Dead

They let you live.
(And respawn when they don’t anymore)

I already pay for that tho

Life is a constant strife. You can’t expect to be done with it in one payment.

Where I live, it’s like this:

Say I go out to a bar, and I want to buy a beer. The beer is $10. There’s a sales tax on the beer of let’s say 9%. Additionally, the bar charges a “gratuity fee” (which they make sure to clarify on the receipt is not a “tip” for the servers) of anywhere from 10-25%, and let’s say in this case it’s 17%. I have to leave a tip of around 20%, or basically never be able to come back to that bar again. I can add it to the bill or leave cash, with the latter being the cheaper option because I won’t have to pay all the additional tackled-on percentages for the tip. Then there’s a credit card processing fee of let’s say 3%. So the final math looks something like this:

((($10 * 1.09) + ($10 * 0.17)) * 1.03) + $2 = $14.98 (cash tip)

((($10+$2) * 1.09) + (($10+$2) * 0.17)) * 1.03 = $15.57 (bill tip)

But the sign says the beer is $10.

Anyway, I see some arguments saying that adding additional sinks in the form of taxes would be perceived as an “income nerf” and would cause players to quit the game. Well, what’s the issue with that? If certain players quit because of that, they’d quit because of something else, too. Sometimes you just have to eat the snail.

By a rough estimate, we need to eat another 15T or so in order to avoid the runaway effect. It’s a large amount (but not catastrophically so compared to the ISK that’s already being consumed by the system), and I don’t think “space farms” are going to be enough to make up this difference.

Mining permits, lol…

Where I live, the beer is tagged 20$, so you pay exactly 20$, and it’s awful :smiley: . But if you have a 20 note, you can be served that beer that is tagged 20.

Usually you pay tip to round up when you pay by cash, or you leave a note. But you are not expected to do so, typically you do so when the restaurant owner worked extra hours to serve you. So if it says 15 for an extra bad beer, and you pay cash, you can give a 20 note and ask to keep the change ; or you can pay CC 15 and give a 5 note as tip. Depending on the bar/restaurant it can either go to tip jar, to the waiter pocket directly, or to the owner pocket directly.

The point is, the price tag include tax. there can be a payment limit/fee like 1 when the payment is CC below 10 , OR a payment rebate like -1 when payment is not CC or over 10 (which is the same ^^ ) . But when you have 10 you know exactly what you can buy with that : anything that is tagged less than 10. You are not requested to make useless math as a consumer. Sometime for expensive furniture the delivery price is also included in it (like XXXXX delivery included). And you kow the employee will be paid for their work.

And yes, my country is theory because in theory there is no difference between theory and reality, while in reality there is .

/offtopic

The theory is, that if the sum of (active) money increase, it will eventually reach an effect of increasing prices. If every spends on average 100 per month, and suddenly they received 100 more in a month which they have to spend, then basically they will have the same needs for double the money so the prices will eventually double (note : some will most likely buy an expensive item from an alt to just make it a saving. It’s more complexe than linear increase, but you get the idea)

So the idea is that, to have a stable so trustable economy, you need prices stability. This means, that the amount of money exchanges every month should remain stable or with a little price inflation. Stable economy is required to allow people to invest their time in the game to produce things.
If prices are not rising enough, then it’s better to hoard money, reducing the velocity and making it even more deflatory.
If prices are rising too fast, people invest in anything and therefore the product and the demand don’t meet anymore (which is the goal of markets)

So CCP increased the isk production (isk faucets) recently. Therefore they need adjustable isk sinks to adapt to that increase in active money and keep the money amount approx stable.
Now the thing is that, isk sinks in the market or in industry are the least problematic ones, and the most effective ones, the former because they are literally a part of a marketer/producer equations, and the later one because most of eve economy relies on them.

My point being, this is not an income nerf except for stupid people who can’t math ; and actually not having them would make the economy much less useful with wider gaps between offer and demand, therefore leading to people leaving the game because the prices are constantly increasing way above their ability to pay. So a few people leave because they are too stupid to actually math, but many people stay because the economy is stable.

Re-listing fees and $10/$20 beer…

It’s a beer market when prices go down.

1 Like

Or you’re Bud Light… :smiley:

Whut is that ? I only drink stouts. Or russian ones. IRS I don’t like, too many artificial flavours. I like my stout chocolate or coal, but not vanilla cocoa strawberry mix.

Bear Market Guide: Definition, Phases, Examples & How to Invest During One for those who may not have gotten the previous joke.

Bud Light is like piss that comes in a can. I was more referring to the Bud Light boycott…

That’s the best part: the bill in the bar will have a “recommended” figure already calculated for you (which usually means a 50-100% tip). Or you can do your own math and put the tip and total figures on the lines below that. I can do the math just fine, but I’m sure there are plenty of people out there who can’t, who just take that $22 total for their $10 beer and go with it.

I wouldn’t say it was recent. The first major shift occurred when incursions came out in 2011. That was the inflection point at which we went from “finding a few 1.5 million ISK BS spawns is an epic gaming weekend” to “if you’re not making 150 million ISK per hour, you’re wasting your time.”

Some of us sounded the alarm on that, including CCP’s own god-damn economist, but, and I ■■■■ you not, the push-back from the obvious RMTers got so bad that there were actual threats to burn down the CCP HQ if they did anything to change it. That was also the year when there was a major alt-posting push to turn off high-sec PvP by the incursion-runners, since they were getting hit by ganks and wardecs. In large part it led to the CrimeWatch changes, which didn’t exactly turn off the PvP, but watered it down significantly.

1 Like

Where I’m from it’s called “läger” . It means cold aged beer, with little taste and little character, so you feel like drinking water. Some are still very good, I remember in Dresden it was nice to have some in a bar after a glühwehn by the old city walls. But you usually only drink them when your lemonade bottle is empty.
Or when you are carrying a baby ^^

That’s not relevant. They also did it recently with the changes to FW and this is what triggered the increase in isk sink that was the rework of industry taxes.
I think we are talking different things. I’m not saying you’re wrong about 2011 or the political fight that ensued.

The industry changes to ships has also had an impact on LP - since it’s cheaper to actually buy some ships with LP than manufacture them from BPCs.

You’re right. I am focusing only on the most recent changes but some other changes may be more important regarding their effect on the economy.

I agree that the gas incorporation into the building of faction ships and T1 BS was pretty stupid, but regarding that it’s only my opinion - or more like, my lack of insight. Just because I don’t understand it does not mean it makes no sense : all it means is, I don’t understand it.

1 Like

Well, if the problem existed for a long time, we shouldn’t only look at the most recent changes.

In terms of ISK, 2011’s “Incursion” was what set off the apocalypse. The issues with mineral pricing that resulted in “scarcity” were caused by Rorqual proliferation.

And all of these very bad turning points were caused by CCP catering to their primary constituent demographic: the null-sec bloc powers. The majority of incursion-runners were actually upper-echelon null-sec leadership caste, and Rorquals were predominantly used in null-sec too. You can in large part thank the CSM for providing the “positive feedback” with regard to those gameplay additions as they were being focus-tested.

People tell me “silly Destiny, you hate the null-sec so much, lol!” Yeah, I do. And if you had the privilege of sitting in Ventrilo and listening to the “FC” brag about how EVE paid for his new BMW, you would too.

2 Likes

I think this is interesting.

HS is seen by many as the “noob zone”. Why would CCP focus on the noob zone requests ? If their vision is that people should go to null after learning the basics in high then learning to fight in FW LS. Then they should help the NS blocks make the game better for them ?

I don’t sit in Ventrilo, and I hate conformism that is required when joining a leveling down corp. NS blocks are made of mostly very good people, but the assembly of them makes it almost as toxic as this forum.

Still I understand that devs must work toward their vision, and if that means that rorquals are required to have fun well it makes sense. People had fun chasing down rorquals in NS. Jumping with 30 people in bombers, waiting for the bridge, then PANIC 4 rorquals in a row, with a team ready to intercept frigate defense while PANIC CD ticks down … then shoot down that fax, but no escalation because they know your escalation is in range, ready. Good memories. Ns blocks are not only the fascist egocentric leaders. They are made of many people, who can make as many friends.

Tough luck CCP does not allow to have alt-relations outside of corporation :confused:

CCP Rattati (I believe) stated in 2023 that CCP does not see Highsec as a “noob zone” or nullsec as the “endgame” - they see each zone as independent, with content for both new players and experienced veterans. Anyone who insists Highsec should be “safe” for new players, is someone who doesn’t understand the basic game design.

2 Likes

Even sitting in a station isn’t safe (as we’ve seen with the trading/re-listing changes)…

or in the move to pochven.