On the occasion of this imperial jubilee, LUMEN is happy to organise a contest for best poster/drawing/artwork that celebrates the reign of Empress Catiz. The prize for the winner is 1 billion isk!
Your work should in some way celebrate an achievement of the Empire under the glorious reign of Empress Catiz.
There is a lot to choose from. There are new policies such as the Peace of the Two Swords or the Pashanai Accords with the Federation. The Empress also led us to overcome many enemies, from outside such as the Drifter war culminating in the capture of Sanctified Vidette, or the Triglavian war; and from inside, heretics such as the Purity of the Throne cult, or the Equilibrium of Mankind attacks. Of course topics are not limited to those few examples; your work can be linked any other noteworthy event/achievement of the Empire in the last 10 years.
Rules:
Submit your poster/drawing/artwork in this thread before September 28th.
Blasphemous or defamatory works will be disqualified by the Ministry of Internal Order - it must be a celebration of the Empress!
Use of non-sentient AI is allowed, we ask that you mention it if used.
In the week following September 28th, a jury will score the submissions on (a) visual attractiveness, (b) originality, (c) relevance, and (d) clarity (the latter meaning that it should be clear what story you want to tell or event you want to depict, propaganda value is a plus).
In the unlikely case that no poster makes it to a passing score, no prize will be awarded. If there is an ex-aequo, prize money will be divided among the winners.
I would like to humbly submit my work in honour of Empress Catiz. It is in the form of a devotional image common here in Nakri, known as an icon. This particular work celebrates the Peace of the Two Swords, as noted by the associated symbol between the Empress’ hands, and the script in the middle of the image, which shows the first letters of the words Pax e Kilizhe Do, in Nakri’s native alphabet. The script at the top shows the first letters of the phrase “Imperatritsa Katiz Pervaya Apostol” (Empress Catiz, First Apostle), again in Nakriian script.
Amarr Victor
Lady Ekaterina Mariya deSilvestris
((Hand-painted, acrylic paints on card. It’s based in rl Eastern Orthodox icons, and there’s a fair bit of head-canon involved in this, so I hope that’s ok. I’ll be happy to explain anything that isn’t clear in my thinking - Ekat))
In the last minutes of the last hour of the last day of this great veneration, I come bearing homage to the Empress Catiz I. God willing, may she reign another decade yet. No AI, sentient or otherwise, was used, but imagery elsewhere was traced to improve hand drawn quality.
Please inform me if the Ministry of Internal Order would make any improvements to this homage.
I delayed the interpretations until after September 27th NEST from doubt that I would submit before day’s end. Regardless, I present to you the meanings of the signs from left to right:
The Triglavian Collective’s disassembled red arms, to celebrate God’s victories in the war through Empress Catiz I.
The faithful with gatling laser small arms and shattered chains who were freed by the Military Emancipation Edict of YC 125, proclaimed by Empress Catiz I.
A datapad to represent the Petitions of YC 120, during which Empress Catiz I honored the Praetoria Imperialis Excubitoris and the Curatores Veritatis Alliance.
A Maller for the free fleets which can now serve the Empire without submission exclusively to her Navy, thanks to the Heideran Decree’s repeal in YC 121 under Empress Catiz I.
An open palm bearing DNA in honor of Empress Catiz’s gracious gift of royal geneticists and bio engineers to valiantly fight the Kyonoke Crisis of YC 119.
Two Swords, to mark the Peace of the Two Swords
A broken white Dragoon to denote the Purity of the Throne’s rout, settling Empress Catiz I’s claim for good.
Every deed is a jewel to adorn the Imperial Crown, and that of Empress Catiz I must shine brilliantly in Amarr’s sunlight!
My friends in the Offices of Kitaba have forwarded to me the following to post, asking to highlight the good works in Exordium taking place on the Empress’ behalf by a distant bloodline of the loyal House of Sarum:
Gripped by artistic passion, I crafted an alternate to the above poster. If possible, may it be a fitting substitute to the former. Otherwise, let the former child of passion stand firm with my full backing.
“I am the Harbinger of hope, I am the Sword of the righteous. And to all who hear my voice I say this!. What you give to this Empire, I shall give back unto you.”
This! There is only one true Empress! Jamyl Sarum isn’t dead! She is the eternal undying will of the Empire, waiting to return in the moment of greatest need! Even thinking anything else is heresy!
Dear participants, after careful deliberation the jury has reached a conclusion and is pleased to announce that the prize of 1 billion ISK for best artwork goes to:
Ekaterina deSilvestris
Price citation:
“The jury especially admires the craftsmanship in creating the image. The jury also commends the chosen medium, a religious icon with portrait on gold background. It naturally evokes devotion to the Empress, and it invites reflection on all the blessings that the Empress has brought and still will bring. The golden aura accentuates the holiness of the Empress. Her hands appear ready for prayer while at the same time they protect Amarr, and gift us the peace of the two swords. This icon by excellence showcases to the rest of the cluster the glory of our faith, and the richness of the art and culture that comes with it.”
The jury would also like to express our praise for the high quality of the three other qualified entries: Haapsalu’s portrait crowned with metaphors of the Empress’ achievements engraved in the Amarr symbol and a text that evokes how efforts (deeds) lead to prosperity (the jewel); Arline’s portrait and text that invite the viewer to stand up and follow the Empress’s lead; and Oleo’s celebration of Exordium, reminding us all of our humble beginnings in a corvette, and the importance of recruiting fellow pilots for the cause.
In order to encourage these participants to continue and grow as artists, they will be given a prize of 100 million isk.
I would like to thank the members of the jury for the honour they do me by their decision and their kind words on my work. I would also like to congratulate the other participants on their excellent pieces that show great devotion and praise of Her Imperial Majesty. May we see many more celebrations of Her Righteous Leadership and Guidance.
Mopsus has responded on behalf of the Exordium Sarum branch:
We the distal Royal Sarum of Amarr familial offshoot are touched, honoured and most certainly chuffed that our humble endeavours have been recognised by the functionaries of Her Munificent and Beneficient Majest, The Right Honourable and Forever Indiscernible and Inscrutable Empress Catriz. Expansion of the acknowledgements of foretold Amarrian toils to include our simplistic travails within the engrossed remit of her sublime tokens is certainly most sagaciously appreciated.
Thank you from all Amarr royal representatives here in Exordium, your Excellencies.
Of course, there could only be one winner and in our united and unanimous opines, the winner was most judiciously, sensibly and completely fittingly selected. Such iconography - imbued with the coruscations and ethereal ambience of true art will surely adorn the walls of many a Royal office, copyright-permitting. In inferior position to our official and sanctified framings, naturally.