Eris needs more base armor and Sig reduction

I’ve been flying dictors as my primary ship for over five years. Each dictor has a major advantage over the others — except the Eris. Right now the Eri’s only major advantage is being half-cost.

However, since it is half-cost it is the dictor that I usually fly, because 90% of the time this dictor does the exact same job as the others.

That being said, my experience with this dictor has allowed me notice two slight advantages over the other dictors. It can be fit to be the fastest and/or most agile dictor with a 8k shield tank and 75mm rails or it can be fit to still be the fastest dictor with scram and blasters doing over 600 dps (750+ dps can be achieved).

So, the Eris has a speed and dps advantage — but only if it fits no tank. It’s speed and dps advantages are not significant enough to make this the choice interdictor for the majority of pilots.

I’ve thought of many things to improve the Eris, but concluded that all of them would make the Eris OP compared to the other dictors, except the armor bonus. Here are the things I considered:

Increase Eris Base Armor and Reduce Sig and remove astro and armor Rig drawbacks.

Since this ship has it’s advantage in speed over the other dictors, this change would go along with it’s “slight advantage” and make it a large advantage, which is precisely what the Eris needs to make it viable choice among the other three dictors who also have their large distinct advantages.

The reason for the removal of rig drawbacks is so this ship can fit a speed tank and rigs without eating up it’s own armor or conversely fit armor rigs without gimping its speed. Regardless of how the eris is fit (speed over armor or vice versa) I would point the Eris towards resistance tanking instead of buffer tanking since armor buffs also drastically inhibit speed.

I have yet to determine if it should have an active armor rep bonus.

2 Likes

How about no?

Great response. Have you flown dictors for five years like me?

1 Like

Eris Base Armor > Yes, it needs a slight buff.

Reduce Sig > Please no… it is already long enough to lock it.

Remove astro and armor Rig drawbacks > Easy now… this will effect a lot of things in the game.

1 Like

The rig drawback bonus would only be for the eris

1 Like

No but I killed a few of them. You also seem to be the only one noticing that everyone else only is flying the matar one in matar online.

So what you are saying is you want the eris to cost as much as a sabre, heretic, or flycatcher?
If you are flying your 'dictor as an actual interdictor and not as a better dessie, cost is literally the #1 factor you should take into account when you are flying a ship that is a coffin on its own as well as putting you in the unique position to be a guilty party on your own pods lossmail.
The thing you didn’t mention that the eris also has going for it is that it uses guns, and thus doesn’t have to rely upon the crap application of rockets/missiles vs fast targets like combat inties and light drones (if you are great at avoiding webs and scrams this can greatly increase your survival).
You are correct, each interdictor has a few advantages; the sabre is great at still being a destroyer, has a good slot layout and the minmatar t2 shield resists, uses guns. Easily worth the (now small) price premium.
I think the flycatcher is objectively worse than the eris; single low slot is extremely limiting, and though you can fit a pretty good buffer on it, your sig radius suffers a lot from it (not a huge issue if your logi is frosty). Also kin damage lock is piling garbage onto garbage (single low).
The heretic gets amarr t2 resists and an armor resist bonus, which is nice. I miss when it was only slightly more expensive than the eris.

So if the eris gets more armor, will the amount of structure be reduced to compensate?

I trained interdictors back in '06 and have used them when it made sense to. When BoB was disbanded I intercepted over 380bil isk in shipping running catch bubbles on industrials and freighters fleeing null with all their assets;
eris was pretty good for the role because of the dps you could fit so you could hunt t1 industrials solo pretty easily (tbh a vagabond with a few medium anchorable bubbles in the cargo hold was a lot better for solo work).
I’ve since trained HIC5/GP5 for my interdiction needs, though they can’t replace the mobility of an interdictor, or the ability to leave a delay bubble and gtfo to catch up with your gang.

Eris is fine, if it is your favorite be happy it is cheap, because we all know that if you are in an interdictor, you are reshipping soon.

1 Like

Yes. Reducing the Hull by 1 point for every 2 points of armor would be a fair trade.

Or we can go the opposite way and make it a fast/agile hull tanker give it a 3-3 med/low slot layout and change heretic to 2-4 med/low and make that the true armor dictor.

As it stands the Eris is actually a better omni resist dictor than the Heretic in a armor logi fleet. That shouldn’t be the case when heretic gets a armor resist bonus.

10k ehp, 428 dps and 67% omni resists (which is 2/3 damage reduction)
[Eris, Gank Doc 2 ]

400mm Rolled Tungsten Compact Plates
Reactive Armor Hardener
Adaptive Nano Plating II
Magnetic Field Stabilizer II

5MN Cold-Gas Enduring Microwarpdrive
Small Capacitor Booster II, Cap Booster 75

Interdiction Sphere Launcher I
Light Electron Blaster II, Void S

Small Anti-Explosive Pump I

We can change out the magstab for another enam if you want more tank giving you 12k ehp, and 75% omni resists (minus 3/4 damage) at a still respectable 350 dps.

[Eris, Gank Doc 1 ]

400mm Rolled Tungsten Compact Plates
Reactive Armor Hardener
Adaptive Nano Plating II
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II

5MN Cold-Gas Enduring Microwarpdrive
Small Capacitor Booster II, Cap Booster 75

Interdiction Sphere Launcher I

The Heretic, for it’s intended role, is broken, when compared to the Eris. The Eris is the best armor dictor for fleets with armo logi. With the reactive hardener they are basically immune to missile boats (caracals and jackdaws and cerbs are the first to come to mind).

Part of fixing the Eris would be a simple slot layout switch with the heretic. A swift/agile hull tanker with a scram/web and a set of blasters or 75mm rails would make this is a more popular dictor.

Currently Heretic functions best with no buffer fit to maintain it’s speed/agility. Strange! You either choose the 400mm plates or the reactive hardener with the Heretic, you fit both with the Eris. Crazy!

3 Likes

Unless you catch a saber with her, then the saber will have a really bad day.

1 Like

I wouldn’t want to be caught be an autocannon sabre in a flycatcher unless my first missile alpha was well out of his tackle range.

1 Like

Hi Saladine -

Thanks for posting your fit for the Eris.

1 Like

Tangentially offtopic:

Hail Eris!
All hail Discordia!

sometimes i feel like i’m the last Discordian alive.

I avoid eating hot dogs.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.