EVE is Dying (is it?) Monumentally

Someday, they are going to bulldoze the monument, grinding it down to provide a base for the new monument, which will depict Aiko, the sole winner of EvE Online.

Didnt the CODE people and @Aiko_Danuja deface it a few years ago?

no that was someone else and they got banned ,lol a decade before the princess came here i would point out .

Eve Online monument vandalized, CCP and police investigating | PC Gamer

2 Likes

Kind of amusing that Xenuria later went on to serve on the CSM and do a pretty good job, earning a measure of respect. Goons put him on their ballot as a joke but then he actually got elected. Name recognition from this monument incident probably didn’t hurt. Strange guy, but I ended up liking him somewhat.

My name and all my alts is on there.

1 Like

The degredation is sad, but maybe understandable given the material: aluminum. I hope it had a good clear coat over it, and/or was anodized. Any coating should probably be re-applied every few years. This is in the harbor, exposed to salt air all the time.

Worlds Within A World - A Message Through Time | EVE Online | 2014-03-06

2 Likes

I know my name is there, but I only log on a couple of times a year now

The only monuments that are going to last forever* are in the EVE universe.

*in human terms a relatively long time.

The names should have been stored inside monument if ccp were writing them this way, not outside where they are exposed to elements.

i would hope they had some other way to have the names written down that are on the monument…

It should have been a sarcophagus made in a form of a capsule made out of bronze. With all the tablets with names inside it.

1 Like

Or just accept that it was a really cool gesture and landmark by a company full of nerds who didn’t have to do that, out of their own pocket and for some stupid game.

It’s not a funded ww2 memorial. Things decay unless you spent a ton and even more to maintain it.

1 Like

They raised quite a bit of money from “PLEX for time capsule messages” though.

Yeah but that’s on the inside

The creamy nougat of regret hidden inside a chocolate shell of failure. I can’t wait until they unwrap that one. I left quite a…thing inside for y’all.

1 Like

Thoughts is you created clickbait title for a thread that doesn’t concern the majority of EVE players, just to tell someone, anyone, that your toon’s name is on some pixelated monument and whoopty-do… that’s sad.

Nobody cares about bittervets from years ago.

Let the salty Icelandic winds claim them.

1 Like

I feel like it was meant to decay. I recall, but can not verify, that the artist was cognisant of that eventuality. In that way it is an evolving art piece. Melancholic entropy has its own beauty.

Hey all, we’ve just pushed a fix for the search function, so you should be able to find yourselves again.
Happy holidays o7

7 Likes

1 Like