EvE is dying

Stop making sense, you! That’s not what this thread is about! :psyccp:

1 Like

Interesting theory and nice job at spinning a positive light on those graphs.

The Monthly NPC Kills Per Sector doesn’t prove anything other than the amount of PvE activity happening in each sector. From viewing that one could surmise that High Sec was steadily nerfed from 2014 to 2016 and Null Sec had a massive buff in 2016.

The Monthly Jumps Per Sector could possibly be in direct correlation with the amount of players logging into the game but to use that graph as evidence is purely conjecture at best. The data shown could be attributed to various changes of game mechanics and policies that have been enacted over the years.

The bottom line is that each of those graphs can be interpreted differently and are subject to one’s own viewpoint.

There goes Black Pedro again, trying to use facts in a discussion ruled by emotion and false perceptions. :grinning:

The real truth is that the “EVE is dying” people are the olks who are and have always been unhappy with the game. They scream EVE IS DYING in a vain and impotent attempt to get CCP to change the game into something they think they would enjoy.

The problem with that is that most of those people are perpetually unhappy no matter what anyone does, so if CCP did change the game to match their expectations, they’d just find another way to be unhappy.

It can be proven. Go back on those graphs to when EVE was growing, and look at all the EVE is dying complaints. Many times it’s the same exact people saying it, because when EVE was growing pcu-wise and CCP was screwing it all up with “Jesus features” they’d quickly abandon, they still complained. No CCP is focusing on not making the mistakes of the past and, yep, still unhappy.

CCP has learned on thing if nothing else, and that is that it’s stupid and unproductive to try to please people who can’t be pleased, so you might as well develop the game for the people who like it instead of forever chasing neurotic haters.

BTW, I saw a interesting thread on reddit about the issue. https://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/6s7jar/interest_in_eve_versus_interest_in_mmorpgs_via/

These graphs are funny, not because they are incorrect, they are very correct. Looks like Tranquility is becoming chinese server. Inevitable happened.

2 Likes

Sure, I said as much in my post. Many things have changed over the last 7 years and it is hard to isolate any single variable.

But the truth is still players are shooting NPCs, and taking gates in numbers similar to 7 years ago (the earliest data DOTLAN has). Highsec has taken a hit in activity for sure, and there was a lot of activity there, but beyond that there is no evidence that “Eve is Dying”. I agree that there are less people playing overall, and I didn’t mean to claim that these numbers say CCP is doing a perfect job and everything is peachy, but it is not like the game has imploded or is about to implode, at least as far as one can determine from these activity trends.

1 Like

I dont think that positivity is in the air. I am rather thinking that next fanfest will be full of incidents of people asking even more difficult questions. And devs will have even more answers like “maybe” and “we will think about it”, or “sorry, we dont work like that”.

Ask Rixx Javix for example, about the EVE shop debacle.

3 Likes

I agree with ( black pedro ) eve is not in the final ramp of the graphs or the final phase of the game.
But still is 45k players around 2013 and now is around 25k .
Yes bots, bonus accounts and other changes could justify that numbers.
It is too much in my opinion. I think something is going on.

1 Like

Well the EVE shop is like a comforting thought: if you think WiS was f*ed up, that’s nothing compared to the shop. :rofl:

1 Like

Well, it did briefly when they introduced F2P Alpha player status. But CCP failed to strike while the iron was hot.

They should have thought things through with an aggressive campaign strategy for player retention.

Not sure if CCP have any MBA strategic thinkers on their staff.

1 Like

Evidence will come when CCP announces layoffs. They’ve been shedding their venture investments over the past years and have not grown in a healthy way as any other company should grow.

Players should not be so smug that a game is going to be around for them indefinitely. The bottom line of any company will tell the story, and I’m concerned.

3 Likes

Skill trading and infinite resources are slowly wrecking the game.

Everyone can instantly get the perfect tool for farming.
The farms can be farmed forever, at infinite speed, in relative safety.

Why bother with other activites than super ratting or multiboxing Rorquals?
Why take other people’s space when you can farm in your own infinitely?

Goons are the largest organization in the game and the most hardcore farmers, but they use only ~60% of Delve’s capacity. Delve is just one of many regions …

3 Likes

Sure, if CCP starts announcing layoffs then you can be concerned about the future of your game, but unless you are shareholder, I don’t know why CCP’s financials should be something you spend any time thinking about. Besides, CCP had their most profitable year ever last year, so there is no need to claim “Eve is Dying” based on CCP’s financial statements.

I will agree that Skill Injectors were a boon to the bottom line but one that might have unintended secondary impacts that negatively affect the health of the game, but again, there is no evidence of that yet, and CCP isn’t laying off anyone.

Eve isn’t going anywhere for a long time. The game will be a ghost town for years and running in maintenance mode before the server is finally shut off. You may be playing by yourself, but New Eden is going to be around for a long while yet.

1 Like

And when that happens I’ll definitely be saying:

7 Likes

Another salty post…

Reading through your “grim medieval” posts about EVE I just had bethought a video clip

Possible (partly) explanations:
People in Null shoot NPCs when they don’t have people to shoot at and the ratting meta has evolved to much higher efficiency.
People in Null have longer travel distances to get to other people to shoot at and/or can cover less distance per cyno as they used to.

Pretty simple: Eve is a sink for time and possibly money and many of us are rather passionate about it. If CCP is financially well, it’s easier to further invest all those things.

Isn’t the negative impact of SP farming already a fact? Assuming rising Plex prices are considered negative.

2 Likes

Chicago - If you leave me now, sums up my feelings about Eve. ( that tear in my right eye is just hayfever, honest):cry:

1 Like

As the ship goes down. All I want is Jack to hold me.

1 Like

My feelings about EVE just became this at one point:

You’ll get over it. It’s just a videogame.

4 Likes

sweet electronica

1 Like

you’re right, eve players are dying in the thousands, time for a military intervention and be greeted as liberating heroes

1 Like