EvE is dying

Dat undeniable trend

4 Likes
2 Likes

Indeed. In fact I think that trend can tell the future:

Live it up. Eve really is dying!

3 Likes

I am usually not one to cry “Wolf!” but I, too, am a little concerned about EVE’s health (and moreso concerned about the video game industry’s health, overall). To stay on the topic of EVE, however, I tend to think that when games go to a Free-to-Play model that is generally where the downward trends start playing out. F2P games, based upon my experiences, attract more players up front but, in order to keep this new player-base’s attention span from drifting elsewhere, the developer’s have to constantly insert new content (usually in the form of temporarily fun and exciting bells & whistles). This consistent, albeit shallow, injection of content into the gaming experience temporarily resuscitates a struggling heartbeat and merely prolongs what, one could argue, is the inevitable final breath. It requires more and more injections of content to keep the game alive due to the demands placed on Dev’s because of an ever-decreasing attention span that so many video gamers exhibit. Don’t get me wrong, I started playing during Apocrypha and loved it. EVE quickly became my favorite game of all time, but I had to take a hiatus for many years before I started playing again a few weeks back. I still really enjoy the game and it will always have a place in my heart. I do, however, see an inkling heart tremors and hope I am simply reading too much into it. Cheers folks.

4 Likes

eve is dying - unable to log into my account page to re-sub… maybe its a blessing in disguise lol

2 Likes

Well I was going to jump on the Omega sale, but then I remembered they’re killing CQ in August, so what’s the point?

Seriously, seeing 16K to about 20K average number of players a night though. Weekends barely breaks 30K.

Hmmm

2 Likes

I’m a new F2P player, I have been watching this game for a long time. So when I herd there was a F2P entry level I was excited. I didn’t know how much of the game was open to F2P. But it seems very narrow. So now I just log on to update my skill research. I don’t even play much. But that the games goals are the same as 90% of mmorpg type games Im just kinda burnt out.

Really, mine ore, build stuff, kill stuff, talk to people, repeat, do a meaningless mission earn some ISK. Play some hacking side game get some junk. Spend 20 min scanning a sight.

I tend so set drones in a med sec mining location and go play a other game. Do the skill thing and spend 3 day doing something else.

THERE IS NO FEELING OF REASON TO. anything.

1 Like

Um, no. EVE as a game doesn’t give you goals. You set your own. EVE has nothing in common with any other MMO out there other than a few surface features. You log in occasionally to set skills and don’t play though, so what do you even know about the game? This is exactly why you don’t understand it though. Your first mistake was trying to apply what you know about other MMOs to EVE Online. Your second was thinking the skill training is accomplishing something. While those skills are training, you’re supposed to be out there learning what to do with them. If you just log off and let the skills train, you’re going to have no idea what it is you even want to do, let alone how to do it. Skills are meaningless without understanding. Your problem isn’t the game, it’s your own failure to adapt to something new and completely different. Make no mistake, EVE is the single most unique gaming experience available right now.

2 Likes

There is no reason, because you don’t give it a reason. when you depend on premade content to consume, then you’ll be disappointed. EVE offer(ed) more than other games, but CCP chose to cater to the consumer market, instead of the (smaller, but more dedicated) market of creators. They actually drove them out and what we have now is the result of it.

[quote=“Remiel_Pollard, post:208, topic:4519”]Um, no. EVE as a game doesn’t give you goals

…

Your problem isn’t the game, it’s your own failure to adapt to something new and completely different.
[/quote]

to be fair, i am convinced that CCP does nothing to get that message across. For good reasons, i believe. most people need rails, because they can’t build their own.

[quote=“yellow_parasol, post:210, topic:4519”]
to be fair, i am convinced that CCP does nothing to get that message across.[/quote]

I wouldn’t blame CCP for that. If you take the text from the front page, it pretty much describes the game:

[quote]
Player-created empires, player-driven markets, and endless ways to embark on your personal sci-fi adventure. Conspire with thousands of others to bring the galaxy to its knees, or go it alone and carve your own niche in the massive EVE universe. Harvest, mine, manufacture or play the market. Travel whatever path you choose in the ultimate universe of boundless opportunity. The choice is yours in EVE Online. [/quote]

The problem is rather that there are lots of games that promise choices, freedoom, endless opportunities and don’t keep those.

If you view Eve based on the surface game mechanics, it is in many regards a rather boring and maybe even shallow game.
This view starts to change once you realize that those mechanics are quite numerous, often intertwined and you never do any acitivity truly isolated. This is where Eve gets the reputation of being rather complex (for some also complicated). This is also the level on which most Eve players interact with the game: they find some corner of the game and play within the given mechanics.
And while this already allows lots of different play styles, Eve can be and is in fact a lot more:
For some people it is a social platform, a real time strategy game, a grand strategy game, an economy simulation and many more things. Most of all, it is arguably the truest roleplaying games I’ve ever seen:
Not in the sense that everyone is playing a rebellious Minmatar slave, an Amarrian slaver or something along this line, but everybody is what he actually does in game - or at least make other people believe what he is doing.
You want to be a bounty hunter? No problem, go and hunt people for bounties. Once you are succesful, you are a bounty hunter. Miner? mine. Trader? trade. Don’t want to be a miner anymore? stop mining, do something else.
No artificial limits or immutable ‘class’ choices at character generation - or at any point later in the game.

5 Likes

Sweet I see a lot more hanger sales in the future!

This sweet timing I’m setting up a new EVE corp contract me your hangers and in return you no longer have to bitch about EVE.

For FREE I will liquidate hangers then I will quit the game for you. Actually I probably just give ISK to new player no check that I have a ISK biomass services I’m starting. I just talked CCP into giving me the first and only tech 3 ISK biomassticator.

Oh yeah one more thing send me your credentials so I can biomass your characters wouldn’t want anyone changing their minds. I know what your thinking I’m a hero right? Save your “thank you” mail the sweet sweet biomass is my reward.

Oh one more thing. So who isn’t dying out all of us? If your living your dying so crying that EVE is dying is prefect. I wouldn’t have any other way you philosophically challenged nematodes.

2 Likes

3 Likes

I do see this as a social game primarily. As i’m new I have no established well anything. And as a single player experience is seems not much different than Rune-Scape. Being as I’m also on a alpha. I just feel as a alpha I’ll max out on skills and the ship wall built into a Omega account. Then burn out. Unless I find a social niche.

I play WOT a lot now and whats nice is anyone can progress through just about all the tanks in the game. And I was a huge fan of Sim games city1-4 and Sims 1 and 2. This so far doesn’t seem that level of sandbox.

Ive said else where I was a huge fan of the X games. It was basically a market single player game. With some faction war and conflict. BUT it was Xwing vs Tie fighter like not this click and attack, witch to me feels like a MMORPG just make my great knight attack the orc, then use power smash.

But this is a EVE is dying thread. SO is 15-19k On Tranquility the only major server world wide? If so is that rather low? and I wonder how many are alts and Alphas.

1 Like

The Troll is strong with EVE players so strong that they will Troll new players in forums on the regular.

is this real?

they bait with fake advantages? amazing, they really treat people like they’re stupid! :smiley:

The starter packs always were some kind of rip-off, but this one makes me angry.

Feels like CCP is actively trying to get rid of their loyal player base this year- one stupid ■■■■-up after another…

1 Like

it’s not a ■■■■-up, it’s proper marketting.

I apologize for calling it proper, but this really is proper for the people CCP started to attract several years ago.no, not just with Ascension. the cultural shift began way before that. i’ll let everyone else judge the intelligence of those who fall for this.

People are stupid. It’s just that the common EVE Online player used to be well above-average on that.
CCP has driven most of the smart people away in chasing after the dumb crowd, because they outnumber us like 10.000 to 1. More people paying, more total money to waste of failing side-projects.
What CCP hasn’t thought about, however, is that EVE is hard. Too hard for the dumb people and I don’t think they can dumb the game down fast enough to make up for the loss of their loyal fanbase.

5 Likes

i know. i know way too well. i’ve been preaching it for long enough, but those with lots of opinion and no clue just crush anyone who actually uses his brain for thinking. Lots of “us” knew it and most of “us” quit. What’s left are those this targets and a few people who are being treated as the equivalent of conspiracy theorists…

On one hand i’m happy for CCP managing to pull this off over the years, on the other… hell, i’m not even mad. this is amazing!