EVE Launcher for Linux

Maybe you have used the wrong wine prefix. I have my site updated to make it clearer, how to use the latest installer, which i have used on the screenshot two posts before.

Update: Hmpf, found another glitch in the launcherscript which prevent the correct wine setting.
A corrected version from the installer are uploaded and should work now. If you have used the installer before please reinstall the new version and set the Windows Version to “Windows XP” with evewinecfg (in the application menu called as EVE Configuration).

Tried to follow https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Installing_EVE_on_Linux guide.
Launcher starts, i can authenticate but nothing happens when i click play button… what can i do?

Schermata%20da%202018-12-21%2011-12-26

Yes. Thank you.

Hi, I have this very same issue. Found any workaround ? Is it due to the (french?) locale?

unable to login

The evelauncher version which you have used is quite old and not functional anymore. Please use the newest version https://binaries.eveonline.com/evelauncher-1514997.tar.gz .

The UniWiki needs some update. :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks!
So far I’ve used Q4Wine and Lutris. All unsuccessful on Pop!OS 19.04.
Looks like Linux is not on demand from EVE players?
Q4Wine and native windows launcher works, but sometimes I get black screen and resource is loading…

Nice to hear that but using windows launcher in wine is not my department. I’m using the linux launcher only and have written some scripts for him which are described in another thread here. Works for me and others so i do not need the windows launcher.

I am getting this error after the last launcher update.

QObject::startTimer: Timers can only be used with threads started with QThread
Could not initialize GLX
./evelauncher.sh: line 14:  4103 Aborted                 (core dumped) "$dirname/$appname" "$@"

Seems to me, that you have missing to install some drivers for your graphics hardware. You need them for both architectures amd64 and i386 and, if you want to use DXVK, vulkan support too.

Hi there,

I have been experimenting heavy issues lately with the launcher. (ubuntu 16.04 TLS)

First, like 5-6 days ago, when i launched eve, it crashed my computer. Never happened before. Seems like some memory leak filling up RAM.

Then, after some update, like 4 days ago, launcher does not launch anything… Icon of the account goes gray, a window pops saying an account has been added, and then… NOTHING. Not a line in the terminal window I launch the .sh script from…

All has been working fine previously… I try to find some explanation…

I just reinstalled evelauncher from last version. I ran an update. Then I had some new lines in the terminal :

[26303:26332:0711/105713.449080:ERROR:connection.cc(1945)] Quota sqlite error 5, errno 0: database is locked, sql: UPDATE OriginInfoTable SET used_count = ?, last_access_time = ? WHERE origin = ? AND type = ?
[26303:26332:0711/105714.650586:ERROR:leveldb_database.cc(311)] Failed to open LevelDB database from /home/XXX/.local/share/CCP/EVE/QtWebEngine/Default/IndexedDB/https_launcher.eveonline.com_0.indexeddb.leveldb,IO error: /home/XXX/.local/share/CCP/EVE/QtWebEngine/Default/IndexedDB/https_launcher.eveonline.com_0.indexeddb.leveldb/LOCK: No further details. (ChromeMethodBFE: 15::LockFile::1)
[26303:26332:0711/105714.650741:ERROR:indexed_db_backing_store.cc(951)] Unable to open backing store, not trying to recover - IO error: /home/XXX/.local/share/CCP/EVE/QtWebEngine/Default/IndexedDB/https_launcher.eveonline.com_0.indexeddb.leveldb/LOCK: No further details. (ChromeMethodBFE: 15::LockFile::1)

Maybe are the sql database damaged. Try to remove the complete directory with the command:

rm -rf ~/.local/share/CCP

After this, the evelauncher should rebuild a new database there.

It seemed to work. That’s a bit weird because there was no warning previous to full reinstall. Thanks !

There was a bug in a previous version of the evelauncher which respawn a new process without closing other running processes. FYI have a look at Launcher remains in RAM after closing, which has maybe damaged your databases. After an update of the evelauncher itself are this directory unchanged and are reused from the new version.

Hello All!

Long time user of eve on Linux, as well as an on again/off again user of the eve-launcher.

So, I’ve been using the distro native wine for playing eve online, using a specific prefix for EVE64 up until a couple of days ago when I chose to give evelauncher a try again.

Looks like it’s working great, and works well for a while, but I have noticed that sometimes when I’m jumping through a gate, my screen goes full “dumb dumb”.

To make matters worse, if I try to Dscan, I don’t get anything on my dscan.

If I make it to the next gate, then when the gate does it’s gate jump graphics, it reverts to normal, at least while the gate jump occurrs.

After the jump in the next system, the graphics may or may not continue, but the camera seems off, and the starts look like I’m in motion in a given direction, however, this is not the case as I have just jumped and are still using the cloak timer. Once I initiate warp, the screen goes one color again, and go back to the previous behavior. The only way to fix this is by restarting the client.

I’ve run this with both DX9 and DX11, as well as both with the 64bit client and the 32 bit client. Launcher version I’m using is the latest release, as well as the latest wine version.

Hey guys, I’m a bit curious, does MacOS have more gamers than Linux? Why go for a Mac ARM client? Is it more like Eve Echoes more than regular eve?

There are a lot of tools that make implementing Eve on MacOS possible. It’s made a lot easier by having a well defined and controlled (by Apple) environment to target and bug fix against.

Linux desktops tend to be a lot less standard - both in the drivers and installed libraries, versions, hardware, graphics support. That diversity and lack of standardisation is a problem for support + is it a bug in Eve or caused by a weird environment?
It’s almost impossible for CCP to replicate the specific environment that the user is running when they hit a bug.

The question is “support” - Eve runs very nicely on Linux. It’s how I run it. But the complexity of different environments and the relatively limited number of people using Linux for running Eve (I suspect much fewer than MacOS) makes it uneconomical to support beyond “it should run, but we won’t guarantee it”.
CCP do run Eve on Linux internally, but that’s against a controlled target desktop.

I installed the launcher on Linux Mint 20 via Lutris (the “DXVK and ESYNC - 1796697 version”) and it seemed to work fine for a few days, but then I accidentally let the launcher update itself and now it seems to be stuck “Checking GUI version…” with a Retry button that doesn’t do anything.

Any ideas? Do I just need to uninstall, reinstall the older launcher and make sure not to let it update again?

I wonder if it’s possible to block just the update server on the ‘Hosts’ file, without hitting anything else ?

Only good solution is to install the real Linux Launcher.
You may find the Install Solution on the EVE University Wiki.

You must install_
Wine
DXVK
The EVE Linux Launcher

After that you’ll have to activate DXVK with EVE and you are all set.

1 Like