EVE-O Preview v5.1.2 Fork (multi-client preview / switcher) [ 2022-05-09 ] + limited Linux support]

With the announced retirement of @Phrynohyas_Tig-Rah and his fabulous EVE-O tool I will be stepping in to maintain the existing tool and continue future development. While it is sad to see a legend like this fall I would like focus on the positives that a fresh set of eyes brings to the project.

See original thread here: EVE-O Preview v5.1.0 "Able Actor" (multi-client preview / switcher) [ 2021-05-08 ] + limited Linux support

I would like to reassure the community that this tool is far from dead and I plan to make you all proud with planned updates. In fact the first update is already well underway and ready to start testing. (details below in reply as I canā€™t add more links to this post)

The purpose of this tool is to provide a simple way to keep an eye on several simultaneously running EVE Online clients and to easily switch between them. While running it shows a set of live thumbnails for each of the active EVE Online clients. These thumbnails allow fast switch to the corresponding EVE Online client either using mouse or configurable hotkeys.

Itā€™s essentially a task switcher, it does not relay any keyboard/mouse events and suchlike. The program works with EVE, EVE through Steam, or any combination thereof.

The program does NOT (and will NOT ever) do the following things:

• modify EVE Online interface
  • display modified EVE Online interface
  • broadcast any keyboard or mouse events
  • anyhow interact with EVE Online except of bringing its main window to foreground or resizing it

Under any conditions you should NOT use EVE-O Preview for any actions that might break EULA or ToS of EVE Online.

If you have find out that some of the features or their combination of EVE-O Preview might cause
actions that can be considered as breaking EULA or ToS of EVE Online you should consider them as a bug and immediately notify the Developer ( Aura Asuna ) via in-game mail.

System Requirements

• Windows 7 or higher
  • Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.2

How To Install & Use

Latest release - to be linked later. apparently ā€œnew usersā€ can only post two links. Maybe an ISD can help get my account recognized as actually quite very old.

Direct download (version 5.1.2)

1. Download and extract the contents of the .zip archive to a location of your choice (ie: Desktop, CCP folder, etc). Please do not install the application into the Program Files or Program files (x86) folders. These folders in general do not allow applications to write anything there while EVE-O Preview now stores its configuration file next to its executable, thus requiring the write access to the folder it is installed into.
  2. Start up both EVE-O Preview and your EVE Clients (the order does not matter)
  3. Adjust settings as you see fit. Program options are described in the readme.pdf contained (ToDo: Add link when CCP fix) or in the readme.pdf file

If you did encounter a bug or a crash please do the following, as this will greatly help me to pin down and fix the possible bug:

Next to the .exe file there is a configuration .JSON file. Please send it to me via EVE in-game mail. To protect your privacy please replace the name(s) of your alt(s) in the message with something like ā€˜EVE - Alt 1ā€™ , ā€˜EVE - Alt 2ā€™, etc before actually sending it out to me.

ISK/PLEX/faction ships donations are not required but are highly welcome.

23 Likes

Iā€™m feeling ambitious so lets get off to a hot start with the first pre-release for any adventurous individuals that want to help or be the first to access new features.

In this update two new features will be available.

• Hotkeys to cycle back and forward through clients.
  • Per client border highlight colors.

Documentation can be located here: Cycle Clients with Hotkey Setup
Direct download link: Pre-Release 6.0.3

Iā€™ll try to update the main post with details in the hope that I can add more than two links (Thanks again CCP, Itā€™s great when things just workā€¦)

13 Likes

Thank for picking this up, I have have like 4 diffrent developers. long life.

Would be good if you post that the project its not dead to beloved Reddit. /r/eve

Theres a post up at https://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/ulp20i/eveo_preview_forked_and_ready_for_future/

1 Like

Cycling clients via hotkey is pretty damn awesome. Keep up the good work! <3 <3

The Direct Download link comes up as not found fyi

Is there any way to get Cycling Clients to work with clients on the Character Selection screen? Would really help with doing daily login rewards on a bunch of toons.

Or perhaps a cycling button that lets you cycle all open windows, order be damned

1 Like

@Aura_Asuna
Hi.
I want to translate this into Korean, so could you help me or allow me?
And I want to provide my teamā€™s translation tools and servers.

I just configured launcher to start clients within a group with 20 seconds delay.
Collect login reward, exit, move to next client just opened.

Hotkeys are great! As a feature can you make 1 hotkey cycle to the next client? Thank you for your hard work, I have been using EVE-O for like forever!

2 Likes

Thank you for picking up development with this. Itā€™s almost impossible for me to play EVE without EVE-O Preview at this point and itā€™s exciting to see new features planned for this beloved tool.

2 Likes

I am having an issue with hotkeys. When I have hot keys assigned it will not force the new active client to the front of the stack unless I have minimize client on. Then if I do have minimalize client on every few switches show my desktop and not the next client.

it would take a lot of work to add localization. at this time itā€™s not an option. If you would like to add an issue to the github page though, thatā€™s where Iā€™m actively looking.

Not really an easy way as the window name is just ā€œEveā€ at the time of launch and theres no way to know which is which. But itā€™s a good idea that I might think about. The beta has a new option to set the default location of the launcher but usually I just click login, move the default location to somewhere random, click the next one, repeat.

this is currently available in the beta branch. so yes.
it will change with the next major release though as Iā€™ve received feedback that should help make it better.

is there any chance you can raise an issue on the github page with additional details. e.g. extract of the json config. I wonder if it might be related to the hotkey you use. Eves client and windows itself can interact in pretty odd ways. No offense to CCP but their client seems to struggle doing things that should be simple and easy. Thatā€™s why in the readme it suggests using hotkeys such as F13, F14 which donā€™t conflict with anything. Although this is not an option for everyone as you may need a gaming keyboard to bind such keys. As such, Iā€™d recommend trying some different options to find something that works for you with minimal issues.
Even just today I was seeing weird issues using F13 an each time I swapped windows the Eve client though I was pushing down the align hotkey, even though I never actually use those keys and I donā€™t even think I have it bound.

Hello, I am having trouble with a hotkey too and require some clarification:

Note: Do not set hotkeys to use the key combinations already used by EVE. It wonā€™t work as ā€œI set hotkey for my DPS char to F1 and when Iā€™ll press F1 it will automatically open the DPS charā€™s window and activate gunsā€. Key combination will be swallowed by EVE-O Preview and NOT retranslated to EVE window. So it will be only "it will automatically open the DPS charā€™s window

What exactly are the limitations for this? For example, I have bound a client to the F11 key, which worked without trouble when I just cleared the (default) F11 key binding. On the other hand F12 (default key help), does not react at all when a client is bound to it.

Is there a list that shows what keys can be used or made to work in EVE-O?

I feel like the issue you might be experiencing here is not so much a conflict with Eve hotkey, but a more generic conflict with windows hotkeys. e.g. F12 is generally used to access help menus and so if you try to register this hotkey with windows it may not allow it. e.g. If you try to register Ctrl + C then theres a conflict with a more generally use copy command.

Iā€™d recommend playing around with some options to see what does or doesnā€™t work.

As for a list of supported keys, this might help as a general rule of thumb:

2 Likes

I see ppl using eve o preview and having real live preview showed for all the clients in thumbnails like here EVE Online - Manticore/Hawk 300mil/h T4 Abyss - YouTube
For me when I switch from one client, thumbnail for other client goes still, becomes just a still picture not live preview, I only se live preview in the thumbnail for the active client - any idea how to fix it?

You are either working in fullscreen, or your background clients are minimized.

1 Like