EVE Online dev team is understaffed

It’s scripted. He got paid to pretend to be a scoundrel.
This is EVE! Come and fight!!!

I played Asheron, not Daoc.

Asheron, similar Prey/Wolves policy problems, and the Prey majority took the game along with them on their way out as the Wolves followed suit. The company could not survive nor had the funds to make both sides “happy” with a server split.

You “highly doubt” but I am telling you for a fact, as someone who lived through it, that the offering of a different server was a direct result of Prey/Wolf policy issues in the initial version of the game again, and instead of fixing the problems, the devs opted out for the easiest solution.

So Asherons Call died too, because they released different server, just like Ultima?

Highly doubt that aswell.

No, Asherons didnt die because of that. It died because they found no solution to Prey/Wolf design problem, and people just left the game.

There was no “snowflake” server split with that game.

It was Ultima I was referring to with the split servers

So, lets make this a little less formally boring and scripted.

If that is your name ingame, I’ll come find you sometime, dont worry, but I wont tell you when.

I’ve pointed out many times before, this is a forum reader perception issue. Threads about ganking loom large in forumite perception because they tend to be fast and furious. Review the thread more carefully, and you will note that they consist of around under a dozen people arguing against ganking, two dozen people arguing for ganking, and a dozen people just arguing.

This is literally a tempest in a teapot, brewed up by one-hundredth of 1% of EVE players, the vast majority of whom are just playing the game and ignoring the boogeyman issue that Shipwreck Jones and Destiny Corrupted and others try to turn it into.

The last survey I saw CCP creating any discussion and changes about didn’t even identify ganking as an issue under consideration:

Also keep in mind that what happens at CCP Shanghai might as well be considered an entirely different entity. They’re a completely different team with a different work methodology and skillset, developing an “EVE-based” product for a potentially massive audience that has a fundamentally different outlook on gaming than Western and even other Asian populations.

If you need an example of the difference between Shanghai and CCP Iceland, just note that Shanghai saw their server was having problems, surveyed their audience, came to bold conclusions, and developed a new version of EVE… all within about 2.5 years.

You can’t generalize from CCP Shanghai changes to CCP Reykjavik or London. That’s not to say CCP Reykjavik won’t make future decisions informed by what happens in China, just that they’re not necessarily headed in the same directions.

Killmail incoming… within ten years or after ScamCitizen released. :wink:

1 Like

This is my main. And you will win the fight but at least I can shoot at you for a few seconds before you blow me up and that’ll be fun.

Their gonna be hella understaffed when they shut down.

1 Like

Every company outside of FAANG in software is perpetually understaffed.
The great WFH migration has just exacerbated this issue, because FAANG (and many many companies) just expanded their recruiting to absorb every dev, everywhere.
Salaries have gone up monstrously, companies in places like Reykjavik with small populations and lower salaries are now competing for staff on a global scale.

Pertinent observation Lmfao

LOL. He will come to fight but he prefers to catch me unawares.
He has an advantage, he knows what system I hang out in now.

How are wars and structures to be handled?

Can you imagine ?

Having to go look for content on the forums …

I’d bet they watch very closely. They are the same company after all. Hilmar went to china and said "we bring our spaceship adventure game to the biggest gaming market in the world - the best version of EVE Online we have ever delivered!", they definetly share knowledge and know how. Thats why serenity gets similiar updates as TQ.

And i’d expect if they release a server option to EU/NA to tone down mtx. Thus it really would not make a difference, since you can swipe for everything in the game in our version aswell. As long as they dont touch “create from thin air” eu/na will eat every new package they come up with anyways, so who really cares by now.

Its signaling whats a hot topic tho. Plus the surveys, yes theyre from china but still, plus the daily chatter in eve. Yeah, i do think highsec ganking is a big topic to many players in and even outside EvE.
The amount of players i spoke to about eve and who were not giving a shot because of “risk of loosing it all” and because of “i would only try it on a new serve” is staggering.
Those are arguments allways pop up when u talk or see people talk about getting into eve and are definetly not a “non issue”.

You didn’t come here specifically for content but you find some.

Very carefully.

I have a dumb question.

Since CCP management is crap at managing money and resources, and supposedly there’s a massive latent demand for a server with no high sec PVP, why wait for a whole costly “new server” that may or may never come, when Eve Echoes is available now? It has zero high sec pvp. Modern PCs can play those mobile games, so platform is not an issue.

I think the gaming market of today speaks for itself, much louder than us forum grandstanding 0.1%-ers.

It does not matter. Isk and SP offer advantages, but they are neither sufficient nor necessary in order to get kills, find success, or have fun. And the evidence for this is absolutely everywhere:

• from content creators that intentionally use self-sufficient alphas to show that you can get kills or make enough money to plex your account
  • to the players the cry about the game being unbalanced because cheap/low skill ships can kill their expensive high/skill ships
  • to the 80/20 rule of skill progression
  • to how ships are balanced
  • to how wallet warriors sometimes cry about how they were unable to buy success
  • to how devs have literally said in GDC lectures that Eve has a flat power curve
  • to how new generations of players are constantly rising up to become the new “vets” of Eve.

Yeah, I haven’t exactly been playing since beta myself. I mean, Eve already had a book about it’s history written by the time I was pooped out in space in a rookie ship. Yet, in spite of this, I’ve managed just fine to accumulate wealth, get kills, achieve my goals, have fun, and become one of Eve’s dangers. And, I’m not exactly the only person who has done this. So, when people say you can’t find success in Eve because vets and groups are too well established and have insurmountable advantages, I can’t help but think that it reveals less about the nature of the game, and more about the nature of the person making the accusation.

I think I have a decent enough grip on it. I’m just trying to fight against it ruining my favorite MMO. I mean, can we have at least one single challenging UPvP game that doesn’t have an unending stream of carebears trying to turn it into a “westworld style” game where you can pretend to be a badass overcoming adversity, but, in reality, you’re not in any danger and can’t lose?

Well, there are no fair fights in Eve, but that doesn’t mean that the game is unfair. See, Eve puts the who, what, when, where, and how of fights into the hands of players, to be determined by whoever has the most skill. So, if you find yourself in a fight that you didn’t want to take, it means that you were already outplayed before the first shot was even fired.

2 Likes

ISK does indeed matter.
It directly affects what ships you can fly, what fittings you can use, what skills you have, how you can react to different situations, how many ships/accounts you can bring on grid, how many scouts you have, how many markets you can watch and most importantly how much more ISK you can make.

ISK is power in EvE. It can buy you literally every item in the game, every skill, character, accounts, heck entire systems and system constellations.

Sorry, but stating that progress/isk is a non factor in an MMO like EvE is just dellusional.

Of course you can! Noone ever talked about taking Tranquility away from you. CCP is testing different server options, but i guess you allready understood that very well but hesitate to go into detail why exactly this makes you so afraid.

Is it maybe because players could indeed like it more than the TQ? Maybe it turns out better than what we have now?

What is your problem with giving players options, despite you personally might not like their decision?

Lets finally be real here guys…the answer is: Fear.

You fear people deciding on what you do not like.
You are afraid a new server could devalue the massive advantages you amassed over the years over newer players.
You are afraid you could have less noobs to gank and run out of the game in uedama to flex a meaningless catalyst killboard while phantasizing EvE with eSports.
You are afraid people could indeed like the new server, despite all your claims how “it would never work out”, how it would “be dead in 6 months” and “noone ever wants it”.

So better dont give them options in the first place, right?

3 Likes

Obviously a lot of players wouldn’t, and some who can’t even fathom the thought of willingly increasing their risk, but there are most certainly players who will take shortcuts through more dangerous space.