EVE Online – July Status Update

Disclaimer : Highsec Carebear, 2004 Player (returned after break), Ex Nullblock F1 Monkey, Mine, Haul, Trade, and all round Solo sexmachine.

I don’t see anything from this ‘update’ other than more potential nerfbat swinging and Null block blowjobs. The “mining balance” sounds like a nerf to the Orca rather than actually dealing with the issue at hand. Seriously, what needs to be rebalanced for the mining ships ? Are they gonna get a huge buff to their HP so the antigankers are happy ? Is the Orca nerf just to quell a few angry forum warriors ?

My biggest frustration at the moment is how you guys are pushing updates as new content that are nothing more that fixes to stuff you broke. “Hunters Boon” is nothing more than PR spin on fixing the cloaking update, which was nothing more than a “fix” for AFK cloaky campers. You guys dropped “Foundation” a while back now and its front and centre on the forum. Where the hell is it ? Where is this ‘celebration’ of the Empires.

For me, what is needed is to build on the existing content, strengthen and update what we already have and adress the root cause of something rather than fixing a mechanic or balancing a ship and then breaking it.

12 Likes
4 Likes

I don’t want to speak for CCP Rattati, but I don’t believe that’s what he was saying. Likewise, having a broader view of the direction of the game is something that is valuable and doesn’t remove from the sense of discovery.

2 Likes

Does he at least understand just how disliked he is by the players at this point?

‘Players’ largely being the handful that frequent Reddit or this section of the forums. A surprisingly small fraction of those that play.

I for one respect Rattatti, and most of the ■■■■■■■■ spewed here about him is just that, ■■■■■■■■. A lot of people like to cite him as having killed dust, but the large majority of the dust players I’ve spoken to(and I’ve spoken to many), loved him for the changes he tried to make while he worked on dust. So, instead of being negative nancies, why don’t the naggers chill tf and look at things they do like in the game perhaps instead of bitching about a person trying to do his damned job.

4 Likes

That’s not even true.

I mean anytime I see or hear someone complain in game about their income or playstyle being nerfed on chat or voice comms, I always make sure they know there is exactly one person who they should blame.

its never ‘exactly one person’ behind any given change. you’re just projecting every bit of annoyance and anger at the person that talks about it, similarly to how ‘everyone’ seems to hate Fozzie, because he’s the main frontman discussing certain changes.

2 Likes

So there is a Dev blog some where I’ve missed because “July Status Update” is just some Dev posting past failures and a few “maybe’s” with no real context.
I guess that’s the “sense of discovery” part - Don’t tell the player base anything, at least not until it hits the test server at which point it’s already done and generally too late for feedback to be looked at.

The author of this blog must be a politician - The only other job where saying a lot and telling you nothing is rewarded

2 Likes

He’s the one who admitted he came to EVE with his “manifesto” of what to nerf and how to push EVE into an “unhealthy” state.

He’s the one who said he wanted to punish the players with “all sticks and no carrots” and we should just shut up and “take our medicine”

1 Like

I think you’ll find you’re wrong.

How do I know? I sell them.

1 Like

Actually 90% of the blame and anger should be directed where it belongs, at Hilmars feet. The other 10% lays at the feet of the lead devs, most of whom after all these years still have no clue about how and why people play the game that pays their wages.
The last 2 years is simply the backlash from changes made 5 or 6 years ago by Hilmar and the other “no idea what we’re doing” heads at CCP.

It was actually “all stick and no carrot”

I can sympathize in a way, it must be difficult to attract any developers with actual skill to an 18 year old failing game with a miniscule player base compared to any other MMO’s.

Lol, blame and anger? :roll_eyes:

surprised? Eve is not a free game, people spend time and money, many for years.

you can understandably be frustrated like for example the Chimera pilot who need to retrain for 2 months ($30 USD + Time when there weren’t injectors) after he flew it for a year already.

That’s a straightforward example and if you don’t get it…well…

So couple questions:

One: When will we get a proper corporation and alliance update - UI, controls, skills etc. You provide gratitude for the communities that help make EVE live and breath - but the tools and interface have been pretty much been the same since the original.

Two: you are adding new PVE content for null, but missions and the way they are accessed have been left the same for ages. Plus, the number of missions or pool that is pulled from. Adding a new mission or two per level a year isn’t asking for much.

Three: LP stores still haven’t been cleaned up or balanced - pretty sure I still see charters on the list and such.

And then there is the fact, that over all the years I have played EVE - and I know you all (CCP) have a lot on your plates, but your QA, planning and follow up for features is all over the place.
I will tackle the Agency window - the range for agents/activities is “always” on shortest (from what I can see). You have outdated info tabs related to what ore is where - it doesn’t matter if that ore might come back to that area, the current game play does not offer it.

Thank you for the continued effort in adding stuff to EVE, but you can’t just keep leaving stuff that is broken, poorly implemented or half-baked to go on for as long as it does.

8 Likes

‘pathetic yield’.

you mean 15.46m3/s rather than 16.84m3/s

(assuming you fill the all the lows with mining laser upgrades, and are using strip miner Is.

Tell me you’re not a miner, without telling me you’re not a miner.

Oh, and if you’re going to be talking about the ore hold, that’s what a friend is for, to move your ore.

(yes, boosts will increase the per second difference. But you’re talking 9% difference. For a far more survivable ship.)

Tell me you’re not a miner, without telling me you’re not a miner, indeed!

Your not-a-miner shows when you counted with T1 strip miners, and no boosts.

T2 strips, Orca boosts:
Skiff would do 36.7 m3 per second.
Hulk would do 51.8 m3 per second.

A difference of ~40%. Not 9%. 40%, Steve.

1 Like

Precisely this. I suspect most new players gravitate to the NPC mission givers as that is typically where you get started in any other MMO. But as others have pointed out - and CCP themselves for that matter! - that portion of the game hasn’t received any significant updates since the game launched! To me, refreshing/enhancing the NPC mission system to something more interesting and dynamic would be the easiest way to retain new players as the current system is far too repetitive and boring and probably is the cause for new players giving up on the game soon after trying it. Eve needs an NPC mission system that is something like Elite: Dangerous’s system. In that game, when players do missions for NPC corps, they don’t just grind rep, but also affect the power/wealth of the NPC corp by aiding it as it tries to compete against other NPC corps. Honestly, this would be a great way to give new players a taste of working for a player corp without forcing them to join one right off the bat.

3 Likes

Hatchet man does not require your approval.

This is my one complaint. Im my opionion he should have given no warning and sought no understanding. Every word he speaks will be braided into the noose that players will attempt to hang him with.

EVE gives too much information, full-stop. They should cut it out.

Make pattern recognition great again.

something like that.
Id say, CCP give us Drifter BPCs, let them drop in Abyss. We deserve cookies, so far getting just a whip.

1 Like