EVE Online to go native on macOS!

Hi all :slight_smile:
We don’t have any announcement for a release date currently. We’re still working through our known defects and bringing the macOS client to be on parity with the Windows client.

I know loads of you used the client and had great results, but unfortunately, there is no way to make that available on TQ. It uses a separate branch (which is why we used a dedicated deployment for Sisi) from the main EVE codebase. There were many core features missing or disabled, even though it may not have been obvious because we patched around them for the test.

I’m happy to share some of the internal stuff we’ve been working on since the last playtest though:

• We have fixed plenty of graphical issues. I think almost every reported issue has now been fixed, or we are unable to replicate
  • Better resolution handling at fullscreen
  • We have rewrote some of the code that deals with input, so mouse scrolling / touchpads feel much better
  • There is much better GPU handling, which means the client won’t try and take resources from everything - including macOS. Moving between the client and desktop for example is much smoother
  • The stability of the client has been improved and is looking good
  • While not player facing, we have done a lot of work on libraries that power EVE. This includes updating them and changing our build process for them (I’m simplifying a bit here, the actual work is quite involved)
  • An audio pass is taking place, along with some fairly huge audio cleanup work for developers. This should mean audio work is significantly easier for developers, but more importantly reduce the number of audio related issues players experience. Strictly speaking, this isn’t just for the Mac client - but it’s work we had to do to make the macOS client a reality
  • There are some launcher changes which now means the way we install and manage EVE is more in line with other macOS applications
  • I’ve been planning the next playtest, which will also likely include a masstest so we can push the network code. Hopefully this will be in the next few months and we’ll be able to get some awesome feedback from you all again :slight_smile: . I’ll give everyone the heads up with a news article.

Rest assured, I’ll keep everyone in the know with playtests and when we have something more solid for a release. There is still plenty for us to do currently.

I know the current Wine situation can be frustrating - I still play using this method for TQ myself. I want the native client available to everyone as soon as we possibly can :slight_smile:

16 Likes