EVE Online to go native on macOS!

Nice report, it was tricky on my 2014 retina macbook pro to get the settings down to something usable, but once I did it was really smooth going.

Is there any further update on the macOS Clint havenā€™t seen any update since December anywhere really looking forward to this

There was a technical test on Sisi just a few weeks ago.

Is there a public list of issues that were found to get a feel for how much work there will be to get a native version?

Juggling when to buy an M1 iMac :crazy_face:

1 Like

You Sir(or Madam) just made my saturday evening. All I had to do was drop down the list of Wine version until the client launched on my MBA.

fly safe!

Ah, you are welcomeā€¦

But, it wasnā€™t me who figured it out - I just shared info from another thread and ā€¦

@CCP_Caffeine can we get a sticky/help topic with the current M1 work around by changing the wine verion. Thanks,

@CCP_Caffeine A separate topic would be nice.

I found that windowed mode doesnt work that well though. When I put it in windowed mode it seems to stick to that resolution and it cant be changed with the mouse.
Full screen is fine and fixed window just messes it all up so i wont even mention that.

Any ideas on how to fix it?

/me patiently waits for native Mac client.

Shame I started the game (re-started) once the playlets was over. Wished I couldā€™ve tested it! Will come back to this and wait hopefully we get that client soon!

@CCP_Caffeine It has been quiet for a little while on this topic.
I am really, really looking forward to the native client. Any news on this front?
Much appreciated!

Hi @CCP_Caffeine ! I was one of the players who tried out the Mac Native client play test and it worked very smoothly for me. Any updates on the Native Mac client? Is there a timeline / estimate for when to expect a public alpha/beta release?

@CCP_Caffeine any update?
TIA

@CCP_Caffeine mainly asking coz no version of the wine client is running on macOS12 beta.
I know CCP doesnā€™t support beta OS so please think of this as a heads up as Mac users do tend to update.

1 Like

Is there any indication we can even expect this mac client sometime this year?

Just a reminder - you are running the non-public beta of a new/majorly updated OS. A new wine version will probably come along soon to help, but only on the Intel side, as the M1 chips are still limited to the 4.17 wine versionā€¦

Hi all :slight_smile:
We donā€™t have any announcement for a release date currently. Weā€™re still working through our known defects and bringing the macOS client to be on parity with the Windows client.

I know loads of you used the client and had great results, but unfortunately, there is no way to make that available on TQ. It uses a separate branch (which is why we used a dedicated deployment for Sisi) from the main EVE codebase. There were many core features missing or disabled, even though it may not have been obvious because we patched around them for the test.

Iā€™m happy to share some of the internal stuff weā€™ve been working on since the last playtest though:

• We have fixed plenty of graphical issues. I think almost every reported issue has now been fixed, or we are unable to replicate
  • Better resolution handling at fullscreen
  • We have rewrote some of the code that deals with input, so mouse scrolling / touchpads feel much better
  • There is much better GPU handling, which means the client wonā€™t try and take resources from everything - including macOS. Moving between the client and desktop for example is much smoother
  • The stability of the client has been improved and is looking good
  • While not player facing, we have done a lot of work on libraries that power EVE. This includes updating them and changing our build process for them (Iā€™m simplifying a bit here, the actual work is quite involved)
  • An audio pass is taking place, along with some fairly huge audio cleanup work for developers. This should mean audio work is significantly easier for developers, but more importantly reduce the number of audio related issues players experience. Strictly speaking, this isnā€™t just for the Mac client - but itā€™s work we had to do to make the macOS client a reality
  • There are some launcher changes which now means the way we install and manage EVE is more in line with other macOS applications
  • Iā€™ve been planning the next playtest, which will also likely include a masstest so we can push the network code. Hopefully this will be in the next few months and weā€™ll be able to get some awesome feedback from you all again :slight_smile: . Iā€™ll give everyone the heads up with a news article.

Rest assured, Iā€™ll keep everyone in the know with playtests and when we have something more solid for a release. There is still plenty for us to do currently.

I know the current Wine situation can be frustrating - I still play using this method for TQ myself. I want the native client available to everyone as soon as we possibly can :slight_smile:

16 Likes

Thanks for the update. EAGERLY awaiting the launchā€¦

i donā€™t understand why you wonā€™t support high sierra.

Thanks for the update @CCP_Caffeine! If you got any more screenshots of how the game is looking, feel free to share! Still just so pumped to finally be able to see this game in all itā€™s visual glory after a decade of playing EVE :smiley:

With the new unified client and supporting both DX12 and Metal - how will this impact visual changes and advances coming into the game in the future?

@CCP_Caffeine Thank you for the update. I am also really looking forward to the Mac clientā€™s release. The huge increase in graphical detail I experienced during the test was amazing, while my Mac clearly had to work a lot less hard to push those pixels.

@CCP_Caffeine sorry to bother you again on this, but any plans to update the wine version. From reading the WineHQ website the 6.* are M1 compatible. 5.* is the newest one I see the launcher using.

Please donā€™t forget to at least maintain our current functioning space habit while you guys/gals work on a better drug fix for us.

:kissing_heart: