EVE Online to go native on macOS!

I totally appreciate the frustration. The only saving grace will be that through this process of the client going native, you will at the very least see improved performance on your Mac products regardless of eGPU support. Hopefully it will translate into like for like or potentially even better performance over the native Windows x64 client. It will be exciting to see what CCP’s team can achieve :slight_smile:

It also could workout that while CCP won’t ‘support’ eGPU, it might well end up that as long as the eGPU card is supported in MacOS it might still be possible to run the client via eGPU. Maybe that’s something who has more knowledge on how eGPU is enabled via applications can answer, or CCP can further clarify.

+1 would happily try the beta version , thanks for going macOS native

No, a ‘Universal’ app in this sense means that the game will be optimized for both Intel and Apple Silicon CPUs.

I can test the eGPU use and the M1 chip once the beta comes out. Edit: two different machines- no eGPU for the M1.

Though, from what experience I have, most apps have a prefer eGPU tic box in their “get info”. Though, I run most of my games through steam, so I never mess with the get info on the apps, I know they are using the eGPU as the iGPU would never handle the games at maxed out settings.

1 Like

ok just bought a mac book pro with the m1 chip! where do I sign up for the public beta?!! I’m down for some debugging after twenty years of avoiding it! Holla!

2 Likes

This is really great news, and I’m excited for it. The reason I came to Eve in the first place was because it was a game that existed on the Mac.

Eve has so many user-interface bugs on MacOS that I hope will be improved with a native client. I don’t have any special insight into the Eve codebase, but as a programmer, many of these issues feel like the kind of bugs you get with a 3rd party UI toolkit/emulator. So I assume many of these issues stem from WINE:

• whole UI gets stuck, and remains frozen until you move the window

• window shrinks to 1/4 of screen sometimes when computer goes to screen saver; after waking, window refuses to resize

• copy/paste do not use native keybindings (CMD+C vs CTRL+C)

• copy paste into/out of game often breaks randomly

• key presses are “laggy”- if I press shift or control and release it, then click on something with a mouse, it often registers as shift-click or ctrl-click

• using CMD+tab to switch to the game causes CMD key to get “stuck”

• clicking in space (e.g. to rotate camera) does not work reliably, sometimes have to click 3-4 times

• clicking overview does not work reliably (need to press/release CMD key to get it to respond)

• click “approach” to an object in space, and the ship goes in the exact opposite direction

Really looking forward to a potential resolution to these quality of life bugs!

3 Likes

Caffeine Coma,

A lot of the keyboard shortcuts worked when CCP was doing their own fork of wine. I don’t remember if they have a reason for it, but they finally stopped doing their own fork and so the shortcuts left.

• I would it assume it was because the main developer maintain the wine fork left or was assigned to a new task and couldn’t spend the time on it.

I too am excited for this native release … A++++ for CCP !!!

I too experience some weird UI issues like:

• CMD+TAB switches to an alt character, but keyboard locks and makes windows randomly pop up like Agency, even if I haven’t selected it
  • When I launch my second character, I have to make sure I CMD+TAB back to the first character immediately, before the wine client loads, otherwise it will load in a tiny windowed mode and I then have to press my nose against the screen to change the settings to ‘windowed’ then apply, then back to full screen.
1 Like

Eve itself should be 100% x86_64 based, but not force users to install anything higher than Catalina 10.14.5, if possible. (There are some nice Apple 3D libraries available in Big Sur.)

@ Felicitas Minbar: Though I don’t have any hardware like you do, I do have 32bit apps which I cannot do without. What I did to get past my issues was to purchase Parallels Desktop and run 10.14.5 as a VM. It actually runs very well. I concede that it’s not the best way to go but it works for me.
I think Apple will at some point regret dropping 32bit support, much like Microsoft did after Vista was introduced. The 32bit support was returned later in a Vista patch and included in Win7. Not sure what the current state of Windows is as I refuse to upgrade past Win7.

I tried something like that but with VMware Fusion, but installing OS X failed

Parallels works really well for this, I have no problems and the VM is very responsive.
I normally use Virtualbox, but with OSX, the VM’s graphics and mouse tracking was very slow.
I have Parallels Desktop 15 for Mac (v 15.1.4 47270) installed.

I installed the test version of Parallels Desktop 16 for Mac and could install High Sierra from my rescue partition into a VM just fine. Installing the drivers and software for my scanner worked just fine as well.

There is light at the end of tunnel :slight_smile: — but that would be not so good news :wink:

Where i can sign for alpha/beta testing? ;]
I made a mistake, throw away my windows laptop and now i got only M1 Air

1 Like

Super excited about this, as a Mac user is see bugs all the time in what we have, nothing huge but having something more optimised for Mac OS sounds magical.

I look forward to the public alpha/beta. I will be signing up to help.

1 Like

Sign me up! Meow

1 Like

@Vapor I think you’re describing the same problem I am with “stuck” modifier keys. Next time you get the windows popping up randomly with keypresses, try tapping the CMD key to “unstick” it. Can’t wait to have a real Mac client and make this problem go away!

1 Like

Is there any new news?

1 Like

Hi
Not just yet - we still have plenty of work we need to do. Moving to a new OS is a huge project for us :slight_smile:
Rest assured, we will share any news as soon as we can.

6 Likes

@CCP_Caffeine = You can do it!!!

@CCP_Caffeine I offer my help in any stage of project as tester ;]