EVE Online to go native on macOS!

:slight_smile: I’m pleased and excited about the decision to support MacOS with a native client. As a MacOS loyalist, I get arrows in my back regularly when using Apple products since I work within the IT industry; specifically infrastructure where Windows Server has a large foothold and Linux has helped changed this greatly! I appreciate your efforts, as it requires a whole shift in development practices and procedures. I will certainly support the public beta and provide any feedback to humbly assist! Since COVID, I have returned to EVE and will be playing long after we are rid of this coronavirus. Upon my return, I have taken this time to focus on skills that I missed and information that make the game more enjoyable. CCP! I truly Thank You!

Super super super super happy to hear about this! Really looking forward to it!!!

@Caffeine_Coma Thanks, yes … hitting CMD alone never seemed to work … I always have to do this little dance with my fingers over FN Shift and CMD. It was never a huge issue, but really irritating when switching between characters, in battle particularly. Lost a few ships because of this!

Also I used to be able to alt tab from one character to another by hitting alt + tab ONCE.

For a while now I’ve had to hit ALT+ Tab Tab as The finder always separates the two wine clients in the selection. Anyone else get that ?

Forgot to say what I came here to say …I’ll echo what probably every other Mac user has said … need any help with testing etc , please sign me up !

@CCP_Caffeine

Question: Not a pressing issue, but I wondering if down the road you all might add support for the Touch Bar for the computers that have it. Would be nice to see if possible.

1 Like

This is awesome i just decided to comeback to EVE and since my last login i have moved to OSX and what do you know, there is a fresh native client for it, this was meant to be! =) it works really really well not that i can compare to pc client but still, only issue is MBP 16 cooling, man this machine runs hit with AMD Radeon Pro 5500M.

Only annoyance is switching in and out of EVE, it takes a few sec and it flickers into a blue screen etc but i guess this is due to the Mac swapping between active GPU’s maybe? certainly feels so. If you can look at this it would be helpfull in sneakpeaking EVE during, well, you know **** :wink:

@CCP_Caffeine hey, currently when I open a second client on eve, it gets really laggy, unplayable consistent lag. With only one client open, there is no issues. Can you please check this on the new client to see if the performance improvements remove this issue? I had attached my iMac specs.

Any way to be a tester? I’d like to start using it as soon as possible.

Regards,
Crinlorite.

1 Like

@CCP_Caffeine Thank you!!

@CCP_Caffeine Nice. When I actually see the Mac client I’ll start giving you money again. Until then, nope.

1 Like

Still very much looking forward to this. The rendering difference between the two hardware systems is stark. Not just frame-rate, but light effects, color saturation, and hue are significantly different. Will the native client resolve some of this?

That’s mostly because the Mac Client isn’t able to use any of the DX11 shaders and effects available in the Windows Client. Once they move the client to Metal, we should be able to finally see EVE Online, via the Mac, in all it’s visual glory!

P.S. If you run the client via Window’s inside VM you will get DX11 support, I believe VMware and Parallels support DX11 now.

@CCP_Caffeine I know you can’t say much about the timeline but as a rough guide how long will we be waiting to at least try out the Mac client (ie. not in Prod)

Weeks
A few months
Many months

?

Cheers

V

From the original article (emphasis mine):

EVE Online players can look forward to finding out more about the launch of the trial for the native macOS client on Intel-based Macs early next year, with support for M1-powered Macs to follow. Details on how to participate in the public beta will be made available via EVE Online - Articles ahead of launch.

I would not expect anything before March for an update (the Dev Blog @CCP_Caffeine has been hoping to get out, most likely); it may end up being April or May, depending on workload and progress.

1 Like

Hi
When we have something that is available to test, we’ll be posting up a devblog and letting everyone know how they can join in :slight_smile:
You don’t want to use it just yet, as development is ongoing :slight_smile:

5 Likes

There will always be some difference due to underlying OS / GPU / Driver differences, but they are much closer in the way they look now. In part this is because we can now use the post processing features that were only avaliable on DX11 in Windows previously.

6 Likes

This is a question that every producer is terrified to answer :wink:. We don’t want to get hopes up, only for us to have to push it back.

We were aiming to have a public test out in Q1 of this year. I’m still hopeful this will be the case, but there is a lot of moving parts with a project as big as this.

There isn’t a timeline for a final release - we’ll base that on how the public test goes, how many crash reports we see, performance tests etc.

6 Likes

Thank you for the great update @CCP_Caffeine! We are patient (I mean we haven’t had a true native app for the entire history of EVE so a few months here or there is nothing!)

Good luck! It seems the community is ready to help :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@CCP_Caffeine - That’s great thank you. Totally understand. I’m an IT project manager irl, working for a significant amount of time in the SDLC so understand the processes and challenges.

Was just doing what the usual stakeholders do, which is ask when :wink:

1 Like

EVE Online to go native on Linux!

Said no CCP dev ever

Well people with M1 Mac’s are likely going stir crazy to get the new client.

2 Likes