EVE Online to go native on macOS!

So are we on Linux.

Sad to say, but dev less care about linux than Macs ;p

MacOS is based on BSD and other open source stuff

Just stopping by to show my support in a native Mac client!

1 Like

But it have more ā€˜market shareā€™ than ā€˜desktopā€™ linux will ever have. thatā€™s why you can see much more devā€™s support for it. im not say about eve devs, but all gaming devs.
and donā€™t forget - bsd is unix, not linux

@CCP_Caffeine Can you share anything on what kind of performance we can expect with this native client? What are you seeing with the client in development at this time?

Since I work on a Mac, I took my PC apart and never took it out of storage after moving a couple months ago. Now Iā€™m keeping my setup Mac-only, so Iā€™m really, truly hoping to see a great performance with EVE Online client, esp. on Apple Silicon Macs. (Lack of good gaming rig and the current Wine client rigged with myriads of issues are severely affecting my EVE playtime lately.)

Not yet - but itā€™s not because Iā€™m trying to avoid the issue. Weā€™re simply at the development phase, with plenty of work for us to tackle. Any performance measurements I give now could change based on development work. Iā€™m sure you can understand that I donā€™t want to give any figures that are not reflective of what the final product will be.

Suffice to say, we want the performance to be the best it can be and itā€™s something which is being monitored closely.

1 Like

Iā€™m drooling more each day in anticipation, and also to test and bug test, like everyone else!

Iā€™ve currently got the CMD+TAB between characters issue of the disappearing ship and cloak timer and inability to warp or do anything etc. Donā€™t know if this is a Mac bug that doesnā€™t occur on Windows, I donā€™t see many people complaining about it.

Hey dear CCP Team,
any new Information about native Client
or need Closed Beta Testers?
so pm me for it
i have iMac 2020 Edition
thx
Mario

You Cmd-Tab into a different client and then things are wonky until you press & release Cmd once? Yes, that happens here, tooā€¦ hitting Cmd once after every client switch is something Iā€™ll probably do for a long time even if the native client shouldnā€™t have that problemā€¦ :slight_smile:

1 Like

Happens to be all the time! It looks an extra key over the mouse actions, very annoying so that will at least be solved on a native version :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Indeed Iā€™ve found that frustrating for a couple of years now however my issue is if I cmd tab to an another character, while the first character is jumping gate (or in warp and about to jump on contact), when I cmd tab back to him, heā€™s in the next system but frozen/partially disconnected, with an overview of the previous system. Cant warp to anything, cant select anything, cant move and ship is invisible on grid. No cloak timer. Only solution Iā€™ve found is to log out and back in. Even safe log doesnā€™t work.

Some of the input issues are due to OS shortcut clashes, which then cause issues with Wine. This means it has difficulty in realising the true status of a key (sometimes the ā€˜stuckā€™ issue being reported).
Other issues are just due to the OS / Wine / Game layers that get crossed - if any of them has an issue, it gives a poor experience. Iā€™ve noticed this in particular when the system is under heavy load.

Weā€™ve been doing a bit of a dive into input the last few days, including rewriting some core bits of it (like default shortcuts).

When we have a public test, Iā€™ll be keen to hear comments about input / shortcuts, as I know there has been weirdness with the Wine client.

6 Likes

Try moving the window and see if it comes back to life. Reported this bug a long time ago.

1 Like

Actually, the problem happens when switching out of the client rather than when switching in, but you only notice it when activating the client again after having previously switched out using Cmd-Tab.

When switching out, the client registers the key down event, but it doesnā€™t get the key up event that happens when the Cmd key is released after having switched out. When you come back to that client, it thinks the Cmd key is still pressed and doesnā€™t change that state until you press it again so it gets the key up event.

Thatā€™s why the problem seems to happen most of the times, but not always, because it only happens when you return to a client you had previously switched out of using Cmd-Tab. It doesnā€™t happen when you Cmd-Tab to a client for the first time, nor when you switch back to a client you had previously switched out of by other means (i.e. by clicking another window).

2 Likes

@CCP_Caffeine any updates when beta testing would be available? Itā€™s almost end of Q1 :smiley:

6 Likes

Ahhh, I knew someone would remind me in here :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

Iā€™ll be upfront with everyone: Weā€™re not going to get the public test out this month, even though that was our original intention. We had some stability issues that would have limited the purpose of the test (as well as giving a bad experience). These are pretty much resolved now.

I have estimations for a new date which I hope to share with everyone soonā„¢ in the form of a devblog.

When it comes to the public test, we need to ensure we get as much valuable data from it as possible (performance measurements, crash reports, etc.). While I know a delay is annoying, it simply allows us to build a better client as a result.

14 Likes

Remind you? Iā€™ve bought two MBA M1s and a Mini M1 in the hope of rejoining the game with my wife. Ā£2800 so far, mainly to play Eve. Soonā„¢ canā€™t come Soonā„¢ enough :slight_smile:

When you guys get the beta of the web version in your area it works ok. Not a full blown native app, but it lets me pve and light pvp to get my fix. Currently it forgets my settings every time I log out and no way am I trying dual clients with it, but it gives me 60 fps consistently.

1 Like

If you really want to play EVE right now on those you can try using CrossOver. It works fairly well for me, it does crash occasionally.