EVE Online to go native on macOS!

CrossOver used to work for me on my MacBook Air M1. But then it stopped and every reinstall failed so far :frowning: .

You can make it work if instead of selecting the EVE launcher, you right click on it and select ā€œRun With Optionsā€, select add new log and it should run.

Details on the current way of getting eve to run on M1 Macs are in the following thread: EVE won't launch on M1 MacBook Air [With Temporary Solution] - #53 by JoArk

Thanks for the update, much rather see honest reasons on where we are. Good luck with the remaining issues, happy to wait a little while longer. o7

Canā€™t wait to try native mac client! Iā€™ll sing in for beta as soon as it become available with my 2015 MBP.

Anyway, so how will it work with F-keys and native copy-paste shortcuts?

Iā€™m really looking forward to seeing what the multi-box performance will be like now weā€™re not needing the translation layer :drooling_face:

2 Likes

Same here. It drives me crazy that just sitting docked in station (even an empty Citadel) doing absolutely nothing consumes 156% of a CPU core, and makes the fans spin up on my Mac.

3 Likes

I am willing to pay hard-earned isk for a Mac-native client.

1 Like

Cant wait to test the the mac native client. Any news or any new updates we can get?

1 Like

This is fantastic canā€™t wait to see apple silicon and metal EVE

1 Like

Really looking forward to this!

1 Like

Iā€™m hoping the soon you are talking about is the Very Soon version and not the No Time Soon version. The browser client is ok but not even remotely a native client replacement, no multiboxing, and very bandwidth sensitive and kinda a bandwith hog currently. Also the wife and I canā€™t reliably play at the same time on the same internet connection that would handle 3 clients running at once. So EVE loses some of itā€™s fun for me when the wife and I canā€™t camp at the same time.
Here is to hoping we get a beta run Very Soon!

1 Like

Eagerly awaiting the Beta test of the macOS native client. :smiley_cat:

I might be out of touch, but what do you mean by browser version?

I have only known EVE to ever run on Mac using wine (well, I did have a few months with the older Cider builds) - but I do remember EVE just being easier to multi-box a few years ago vs the newer fancy version (but my play style might have changed too).

In the US there is a beta for EVE anywhere. It basically is playing EVE in Safari. We even played on a new ipad pro. Its cool , but it is not a full client experience.

Ah. Thatā€™s cool.

@CCP_Caffeine hey! itā€™s been 3 weeks now, any updates? :slight_smile:

@CCP_Caffeine Hi! Yeah would be good to have a update for the community. We are not that many, i guess, but we are all waiting.
Many thanks

Iā€™m getting worried that the browser version of Eve is gonna take all their resources and the macOS native client is hitting the back burner or getting shelved for it, because Soon has turned into Not Very Soon. Itā€™s a shame. The browser is ok for newer players and single account households, it is not friendly to my wife and I playing at the same time or multi boxing, Iā€™ll probably let my subscription expire until a native macOS client appears, EVE isnā€™t as much without my wife hunting with me and the fun group we run around with.

Canā€™t fault a company for prioritizing the (potentially) most profitable avenues. But yeah, I do hope a native Mac version is still coming ā€” Macs are still niche products when it comes to gaming, but the userbase is still quite a bit larger than it used to be and well worth catering to IM(H)O.

I appreciate the effort that went into the WINE version over the years, but I was still shocked when I played the native Win version on my 2015 MBP, and experienced what EVE can be like ā€” even on such old hardware ā€” when it isnā€™t handicapped by that translation layer.

A native macOS version playable on an M1X MBP? Come hell or high water, this thread will now be kept alive until you deliver, CCP :slight_smile:

P.S. Iā€™ll sign up for the beta in my own blood if I have to.

2 Likes