EVE should have a Stock Market

I know this was discussed amongst the playerbase years and years ago, but nothing ever happened.

Given that EVE is based mainly on corporations, you would think there would be a stock market for buying and selling of shares of ownership of these corporations. Unfortunately for reasons that I will get into, this has never materialized.

You can, of course, privately buy and sell shares of corporations on EVE, but there isn’t a central market (much like the EVE market) for this to happen.

The main reason is that there would simply be too much corruption. For example, I could create a corporation, and place $1 trillion ISK in the wallet, thereby driving up the share price. I could then sell 49% of shares in that corporation for however many billions, withdraw the $1 trillion, and close the corp, keeping the profits from the sale of stock.

Also, there is no protection from a CEO/Owner from voting to increase the # of shares in a corporation at any given time, thereby diluting the value of all outstanding shares.

As I said, this idea is not without problems. However, given the incredible brain trust that EVE has, I would hope there is a workable solution to this.

So, if you have any ideas, then please feel free to share them!

Stock markets work because the investors believe that the corporations will make a profit of some sort. Corporations in Eve are mostly just social clubs.

3 Likes

You could have a functioning stock market that would be the facilitator of this corruption - just like the Markeplace is facilitating market manipulations. Noone expects all EVE entrepeneurs to be honest people.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.