[Event] "Dancing with LUMEN" - Heideran VII Memorial Ball & Fund Raiser Date Auction

Want to share what these ways are? I’d love to know, and I know there are others who would love to as well.

This assumption is going to cost you and your alliance a lot of ISK.

You’re probably right about Minmatar not being interested in helping you, but we’re not the only other people in the cluster.

Besides, maybe this means that you need to try reaching out more, so that the next time you need to raise funds, more outside groups such as Matari ones would be interested in helping you. You know, rather than pushing away the few Matari who are trying to help you (hi!).

I’ll hope this gets put into practice.

Their concern wasn’t that the Directrix change her phrasing. It was that LUMEN wasn’t being upfront about things. For me, that’s a concern that has grown to cover the entire auction.

That’s an extremely worrying thing for the Disquisitor of an Amarr loyalist alliance to say. Especially since I’ve easily made 300 million ISK in one night shooting triangles with LUMEN-led fleets.

Have you guys considered introducing more income-generating activities to whatever your usual operations are? Because to be blunt, an alliance that big shouldn’t be struggling to pay 900m a month. And it also makes me worry about just how much good you’re able to do for the Mandate, or anywhere else. As I’ve been saying quite a lot lately, you can’t help others effectively if you aren’t looking after yourself first.

…or maybe you should just have a conversation with Norrin Ellis, since apparently he can 30x your ISK.

I am not a blooder. I’m Sani, Gallentean Sani, not a Blood Raider. Please be less ignorant.

This may be, but there are also pilots that have been flying for years and are wealthy to an extreme. A billion ISK really wasn’t a lot for me.

Mandate (see what I did there?) that all future bids be open.

Let me introduce you to the idea of corp taxes. Seriously, this is nothing.

Kill Blooders in Delve for three hours. Done.

If someone wants to throw around that much ISK to make sure they stay in their own echo chamber or what not, why not let them? No one should be forced to associate with someone outside their viewpoint. I mean, is your complaint that someone put up a few billion so that Luna wouldn’t have to dance with me? And that is somehow bad? I don’t see it.

Put a few more hours into shooting triangles.

You could grind it out with Sansha Incursion fleets. There are also FW pilots making that kind of cash. Traders can make that much, too, but that actually requires skill rather than the mere willingness to do a repetitive task. Someone also mentioned to me today that wormhole escalations pay outrageous sums of ISK, too.

I don’t do anything personally to earn ISK anymore. I made most of my current pile as a manager for EVE Online Hold’Em, but the powers that be outlawed gambling. Now I occasionally throw away a few ISK on frivolous things. The fact that I don’t avail myself of the means to make billions in short order doesn’t negate the fact that such means do exist.

1 Like

Except its merely the largest of our expenses. SFRIM takes care of their structures, the Bunnies take care of theirs, and I take care of my other structure out of my own pocket. Most of the activities such as money made from triangles goes to the individuals who participate in those fleets. If the Alliance were to siphon off too much money from the fleet proceeds it would discourage participation in such fleets. With the sort of damage the triangles are doing, I’d rather not disincentivize anyone from fighting them.

He’s not somebody that I know or interact with. The fact that he’s winning a bid also demonstrates that it’s not just Amarr bidders.

Except that despite that assumption we did make the event public, giving everyone a chance.

A public event seems like reaching out to me. But I’m sorry you feel that we’re pushing you away. Not our intention. Once again, I admit there were mistakes in the handling of this event. It was meant to be fun and casual. The bidding just ended up far exceeded expectations.

We have corp taxes. Being the size we are, though, they amount to nowhere near that amount.

1 Like

Just go to the party and have fun anyways? People will probably dance with you anyways, even if you don’t win a bid.

Honestly, I believe a good portion of the problem stems from the fact that as far as I know, this was primarily thought of as simply a fun event, and a way to help support our efforts in revitalizing the Ammatar economy second. I think we originally envisioned much smaller bids being made, having forgotten that capsuleers are, well, willing to throw away silly amounts of ISK on things like this. It would, perhaps, be better were the sums smaller, but I’m not certain of a good way to keep the bidding to reasonable amounts, and I’ve spent time thinking about it. We’ve made other mistakes with this too, of course, some that have been raised here, and others that haven’t. Unfortunately, sometimes you only figure those mistakes out when you have the benefit of hindsight.

The issue of how we generate enough ISK for corporate operations is a separate one that perhaps is a concern we also ought to think about, but better suited to internal discussion, rather than public forums.

3 Likes

They are loyal Amarr Empire supporters. What do you expect?

And before you think that is an insult - it is not. “Diversity of opinion” is not an Amarr value; if anything it is the opposite. They believe in harmony, in following those above you in station, in seeking One Truth. Like many of us, many of them believe that some people should lead and others follow, but they play much more emphasis in trust - or faith - in your superiors rather than proving them worthy.

Appeals to equity are more likely to make a loyal Amarrian suspicious you are brewing a Rebellion than anything else.

How’s that convincing local clans you’re not collaborators going?

1 Like

Corovid Industries is a clan-led manufacturing outlet that is currently assisting with recovery efforts for our lands as well as for our neighbors in Sundsele. I promise, we always accept donations.

Except that if I tried to go to Delve I would be killed on the gate every time.

My complaint is that someone put up a few billion for the Directrix, and now, intentional or not, a bidder who likely holds views and opinions counter to LUMEN’s is now out of the running. I’m not convinced that Luna was opposed to the possibility of your winning the auction, especially since you put up the bil.

You keep using that word:

I’m in a 2-man corporation. We can’t field fleets. We rely on our friendships with various FCs and join their fleets when they have them.

Also, wormhole escalations would require learning to roll wormholes and being able to survive escalations in the first place.

I agree wholeheartedly. But my suggestion was to add sources of income, not detract from the ones you already have. Producing the right planetary commodities would be an almost passive source of ISK, even in highsec space. Manufacturing things to sell isn’t all that time-intensive either.

Never said it was. I said that it’s all people who already hold all your views. Based merely on his mouthing off in this thread, he’s clearly your people.

It’s a public event on its face. In reality, it’s an event where people can attend for free and watch rich people have the kinds of fun I couldn’t afford. Not my scene; I’m not into self-flagellation.

And yet, it has happened. If you want to fix it, then post the receipts for the fuel blocks after you buy them.

I have two problems with this event. The first is broader: Posting this event publicly and opening up the bidding to everyone suggests that LUMEN is interested in meeting a broader range of people, taking in a broader range of ideas. But what’s going to happen, yet again, is a fancy-dress echo chamber.

The second is, admittedly, more personal: I’ve spent more than my fair share of time defending LUMEN, and why I’m flying with you, to my Matari counterparts and friends. I’ve caught flak for it, and it definitely isn’t helping my image or that of my clan that I’m so close to a bunch of Amarr loyalists:

But I really felt like you all were different from the others, that you might actually start reaching out to your empire’s traditional enemies, or rather, the people it almost destroyed. I thought that by working with you, I might help to foster the sort of cooperation that heals wounds and resolves harms like slavery.

I’m seeing now that you’re just as full as ■■■■ as your peers are.

It exceeded my expectations, certainly. Somehow I doubt it exceeded yours or the Directrix’s. This looks more and more calculated to me. Pretend to be of the people, and then have your friends throw your fat wallets around. Look how many rich friends want to date us!

Raise them?

The only people I’d want to dance with who would also want to go to a LUMEN ball are on the bid list, and they aren’t going to dance with me when someone else is paying millions for the honor. And also not into the self-flagellation.

Again, hindsight is 20/20. Lessons will be taken from this as to how we can create more welcoming events in the future.

He’s not.

But he is good people, and if he were our people, I’d be glad to have him.

But sadly he’s not.

3 Likes

The last one of these auctions that I went to, not only raised a similarly high amount of money, but was a thoroughly pleasant affair. I believe it was for a school which now has enough funding to operate until the fall of the seventh Jovian Empire.

Similar concerns were raised about how quickly bids reached the billions. I think it took 3 hours to reach that point, however I don’t remember anyone feeling ignored or left out at the actual event.

3 Likes

You ruined mud-wrestling by insisting that everything be your way, and now you’re acting like a petulant child about this, too.

You don’t get to decide what other people think are reasonable bids. Period.

Got a problem with the rules? Take it up privately with the organizers instead of making a scene in a blatant attempt to crap all over other people’s well-intentioned fun.

2 Likes

I’ve no problem with doing that.

I don’t know what to say. Simply saying “no it’s not” likely won’t be enough for you. What would you want to see as evidence that it’s not? Is there something that would even prove that?

This is just lumping somebody you don’t like in with another group that you’re angry at and is unfair to both parties.

I don’t think this is really just about an event with a few mistakes in the planning anymore.

3 Likes

Clearly, you’ll have to provide logs of not discussing it.

6 Likes

How is it a mistake if you make a fund-raiser thah actually raises funds?

Allowing anonymous bids was a mistake. Initially calling it a ‘charity’ was a mistake. We could have been more transparent about what it was going to, fuel, initially. The raising of funds isn’t the mistake.

2 Likes

What, exactly are the efforts being doing that support the revitalizing the economy? other than paying for fuel costs, how would the ISK being raised translate to strengthening the Economy?

Read this.

2 Likes

Actually, I ruined mud-wrestling to save the asses of three Amarr loyalists. I’ve never asked for thanks, but I’ll be dammed if I let a smartass punk who knows nothing about me ■■■■ on me for taking a punch that I really didn’t have to.

That was my event. I chose to close it. You want to tell me that I was a petulant child for closing my own event? Go ■■■■ yourself.

Hold an event that is actually accessible to everyone. Open dialogues with more people who don’t agree with you. Reach out to your critics. And spirits above, get some more income sources.

You don’t say.

Sure, that is a a good statement to make, but I am asking what the mechanics are? what are you doing specifically to stimulate the baseliner economy?

1 Like

Ultimately the baseliner economy of the Mandate is in much better shape than its capsuleer economy, so this is focused on the capsuleer economy.

That does however still affect the baseliner economy. More capsuleers in the region means more pirates destroyed, more planetary production jobs available, more spending in various places. The Fortizar itself provides a lot of well-paying jobs too, as do any other structures capsuleer groups might put down if they move into the region. But specific questions about the project are better posted in its linked thread.

2 Likes