Evergreen Daily Login Rewards

Nobody does quote whole posts…mine are even altered to devalue me so what you are complaining about?

You see that they are time limited and run out?

Not only the 14 day limit of redeeming…they simply run out completely…

A whole new definition of the word ‘useless’…
So simply stop sweettalking those crappy ‘gifts’ fanboy…those are just teasers to seduce you to use real money and this is NOT the influence of pearl abyss…?

Well mr. fanboy…if you say so…

Says the worst troll in the forum…

I am the best actually.

Dream on…you amateur…

That is correct. I don’t get paid to be the best; real shame.

Being the best of all morons is no medal you can wear as jewellery :slight_smile:

Of course I can.

For christmas today I got a Widow skin. It’ll take me 112 days of training to even sit in the ship.

1 Like

Random rewards are a highly effective form of operant conditioning. Subjects can be brought to engage in the desired activity much more obsessively if the reward itself is inconsistent, that is, if the odds that the reward will be forthcoming (or, in this case, good/useful/desirable) are less than 50%. There’ve been any number of experiments on this with animals: a rat will push a button with moderate interest if it knows that every time it does so, food appears, and of course it stops after a while if the food stops. But make it unpredictable and the rat pushes the button all the time. So too with log-in rewards. As long as no one can tell whether there might not just be something good in today’s loot crate, people will obsess about logging in much more (because you’d kick yourself if today it just happened to be good and you missed out). The mostly suboptimal rewards are thus a more effective form of conditioning than consistently better ones would be. I’d assume, therefore, that this is all by design. Naturally it makes me unhappy that CCP is treating me like a thing to be manipulated rather than as a partner. But this is, after all, late stage capitalism. As vets will remember, “greed is good” was a thing with CCP long before Pearl Abyss entered the scene.

1 Like

Indeed. But CCP doesn’t seem to be doing this psychological manipulation correctly. They are just handing out the useless stuff.

@CCP_Dopamine, if you want to make people keep pushing the lever, you need to hand out some candy, at least infrequently. You are doing that a bit by needless randomizing the SP a bit, but these current three tiers of rewards are almost literally useless. The blueprints you lose ISK on if use, and maybe have some place for showing new players they can build things, but not for veteran players. The SKINs might be good if you get one for a ship you fly, but most you can’t even use and that feels kinda bad. And the boosters, well those are clunky to use and again maybe are only useful to a new player who doesn’t know such things exist.

Mikkal is right - you need to sweeten the pot with some random high value drops to do this right. But you would need to find something that doesn’t hurt durectly the economy (cerebral accelerators?) and then you are back to the problem you overly enrich SP farmers and multiboxers.

I don’t think you can reconcile this - either you give something valuable benefiting the multiboxers and possibly hurting the economy, or you give some near useless, in which case 99%+ of the “gifts” will be trashed or never redeemed in a month once people realize how useless they are, if that is not the case already.

My not-completely-thought-through idea on how to fix this? Make the daily rewards boost in-game activity. New soulbound boosters say that increase to a small degree something you do in space, like standing increase or mining yield or something. This means activity is still needed for them to be useful, and if the players sees they have a +1% to mining yield booster about to expire, they might undock to use it. Of course, this is more work as you probably need a better interface to use them than the current redeem system, and some game design work to make sure you don’t break anything.

5 Likes

1% isn’t a whole lot, now if they made the boosters valuable for the extremely limited time they are active, Say a 15-25% yield boost for an hour, 2h max with biology V, then it would be worthwhile it to use them. In my opinion if they’re going to force “Soulbound” boosters on people that are incredibly limited they should have stronger effects than regular run-of-the-mill boosters you can buy any day, thus actually making them actually useful to use

But you shouldn’t…

@CCP_Dopamine Seriously, what was the (non-)thinking behind giving out bits of trash and some make-work of having to go through a nonsense dialog to claim something not worth having then having to actually redeem or trash it? Are you all fekin wasted?

Please can you all find someone with a spark of imagination to come up with something better? What about a Treasure Hunt, you get clues, talk to agents, find cans … winner gets a unique skin or something.

idk, anything but this shite.

2 Likes

with the irony that the skin only lasts 7 days anyways

I totally agree
I think they should go back to giving skill points as everyone likes skill points
not a 2 run T1 laser BPC
I am insulted by this as its like getting soap on a rope for Xmas
if you are going to give me junk then I prefer nothing

CCP: “Creating worlds more meaningful than real life.”
Us: “Ok.”

1 Like

Why do you dislike soap on a rope? It is an awesome product.

Fully agree. +1

As others have said, CCP is in a bit of a bind here. They need to encourage logins, presumably to meet PA bonus payout metrics or other goals. As @Karak_Terrel said, the proper way to do this is to make the game worth logging in to play every day. Unfortunately CCP’s been trending farther and farther away from this target for a decade now, so cheap tricks is the current solution.

Personally I don’t have an issue with these ‘Evertrash’ rewards. A couple clicks as I log in, then I never redeem them or even look at the Redeem page. They can all expire, the sooner the better. They’re so useless it’s not even worth looking at.

The problem with cheap tricks is the bind CCP currently finds itself in: if you give away anything valuable, the armies of alts that CCP’s game design has encouraged over the years will farm the heck out of it and throw it all on the market.

If you give out cheap worthless trash, then day after day, tens of thousands of players are being programmed with the notion: “Eve - the game full of cheap useless trash that gets in the way of my gaming experience”.

As usual, CCP is flailing around trying to prop up a game in desperate need of a re-design by using cheap, minimal-programming marketing ploys to substitute for the attraction of compelling gameplay. In doing so, they consistently shoot themselves in the foot by damaging the long-term reputation of their game and the respect of their player base.

Instead of saying “Hey, we’ve got a tired old game, filled with tired old junk that nobody uses. Let’s see what happens if we start giving away worthless trash for absolutely FREE! FREE TRASH, EVERYBODY! Come’n get some!”, maybe CCP should have started with the question:

What can we add to the game that would be fresh and new, and would inspire players to check it out, and then find a way to introduce this fresh new concept in a way that both encourages logins and increases sales?

Of course, that would require some creative thinking, some sensible game design, and some decent programmers. So maybe the real question CCP should ask themselves is:

“How do we stop coasting on game code developed 12-17 years ago by the creative people who’ve all left the company, which none of us even understand anymore, and stop pretending we’re game developers when really we’re just modders sucking up cash, and become an actual Game Development Company again?”

4 Likes