Evolving EVE: A Universal Income

Keep in mind this is just a discussion about the merits of the idea, and not a proposal. People might end up making good arguments for why this shouldn’t be done, or wouldn’t work. But for now, most of the negativity has been mere incredulity, so I’ve played devil’s advocate in favor of the idea. That could quickly change.

If you mean never let anyone tell me what to do, Im way ahead of yah.

But I also know it is the unwise ant who screams at a mountain to move.

Nono …
… we definitely should have this.

But for everyone, especially Alphas.
There will be plenty of people demanding it for them,
because we need to think of our new players and how they stay behind.

Eve allready has a universal income, it is called alpha account. So the poors either irl or ingame are not left in the cold.

I had a cool conversation with a dev who told me concerning casual players, their in game wealth tends to trend to irl wealth when you exclude botters & pay to win whales.

1 Like

I’m not doing that. I’m screaming at my fellow ants, but they’re not listening. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Come on, that’s a classic appeal to emotion. You know better than that, Sol.

“Raising quality of life” in context of poor people is just as much.

Really? I’d argue that Alpha is actually the opposite of a universal income. In fact, Alpha has all the signs of acting as a tool of economic systemic repression.

Alpha gives players just a little taste, instead of the full meal. Instead of acting as a launching point for self-improvement, it traps players into a cycle of bottom-feeding that’s nearly impossible to break out of. It’s like giving a homeless person just enough to buy a sandwich, and not enough to get some semblance of shelter, clothing, and training to be able to find a decent job.

If we’re going to be making such real-life parallels, then creating an Alpha state for the purpose of allowing poor people to play EVE is downright psychopathic, as those people would benefit much more from a lack of such a distraction so as to be better able to focus on improving their immediate real-life circumstances. I shudder to think that this is the case, as opposed to Alpha acting to serve as a demo for people to try out the game to see if they like it, before committing to a purchase.

2 Likes

Alpha that uses a rattlesnake with tech 2 or faction modules for ratting isn’t eating a sandwich. :wink:

Breaking out of alpha is far from immposible and can be done in a weekend without SP or other accounts or in game connections.

With an alpha account I am able to make several billion over a weekend then Omega it.

Game knowledge>connections>wealth>SP.

Arguably connections to ccp or use of bots is the greatest asset you can have to be super wealthy in eve.

1 Like

Such ability is far from universal, as if it had been, then PLEX (and everything else) would be astronomically more expensive.

> Grind a few extra workhours IRL
> Buy PLEX for $$$
> Sell PLEX for ISK
> ...
> Universal monthly in-game income for you

:wink:

3 Likes

Not all men are equal, hoorah you can rip up your cookie cut liberal university degree.

1 Like

Not really sure what that adds to the discussion, but, uh, okay, I guess?

Instead of universal income, why not simply offer one box per day with one of the following options:
civilian explorer fitted shiff
civilian miner ship
civilian mission lvl2 ship
civilian pvp ship

This way you don’t have free ISK, but still the possibility to “restart”.

Or as Archer wrote, just buff the corvette.

2 Likes

I agree with this. They’re horribly underpowered.

1 Like

Can confirm this.
Jita ISK Printer goes BRRRR
haha

Exactly this game went from corporate capitalist dystopian space game to a pay to win everybody gets to feel like a winner space communism turd hole.

Basically the EU model in space, only massive austerity will fix either of these worlds.

2 Likes

God you talk some shite, mate.

1 Like

Actually plenty can’t. Please don’t generalise.