Facts

A single strand could hold 100g (3oz) in weight: the combined hair of a whole head could support 12 tonnes, or the weight of two elephants. Weight for weight, it is not as strong as steel: more like aluminium, or reinforced glass fibres or Kevlar, which is used to make bulletproof vests.

2 Likes

The Higashi Hongan-ji temple in Kyoto has a huge rope made of human hair that’s around 400 years old. That temple was the site of a kind of militant cult-like commune sect, and they gave the samurai daimyo of the period a lot of trouble. So the temple got burned down and rebuilt many times. During one rebuilding they needed to hoist some roof beams that were so massive that they couldn’t find rope strong enough. So the women and girls of the sect donated their hair to make that huge rope. You can see a photo here.

“The Eastern Wild Turkey is the biggest of the five subspecies of turkeys that inhabit North America.”

It was also the turkey that was eaten on thanksgiving. As well as a full menu that has nearly been erased from history.

It hasn’t been erased. It just has been stuffed inside the turkey. :rofl:

1 Like

Adding to more fishiness

All Clownfish are born male and some change into females later depending on their social environment.

I have a pair of clownfish myself and saw one turn into the dominant female. They sure are interesting and cute little creatures to watch.

2 Likes

Wow, I’d have never guessed that a fully-advanced, next-generation evolved, muscled up and observant fish like a clown fish could be able change sexes. You’ve got a saltwater tank eh, CK? I’ve always considered one, but backed down because of the care commitment involved. I went with planted freshwater tanks instead. Probably about the same amount of care involved though. Plants instead of corals or whatever-- they can’t move around, they need things pretty just right to thrive.

But, Fact: Mongol armies marched west, and took down any army or walled city along their chose pathway. They were feared for fast and ruthless cavalry, of course. But, their horses were small, more or less ponies. Most likely classical samurai guys horses from the same area were as well. Kind of a reset on what imagined, but still kind of cool

1 Like

I used to have a planted freshwater tank but got sick of it after fighting some algae and having to deal with co2.

I have to say I think my saltwater is easier to maintain than the planted freshwater, but I really dont have anything demanding in the tank right now. No algae problems either as the snails and hermit crabs take care of that. :rightparrot:

2 Likes

Atlantropa, also referred to as Panropa, was a gigantic engineering and colonisation idea devised by the German architect Herman Sörgel in the 1920s and promoted by him until his death in 1952. Its central feature was a hydroelectric dam to be built across the Strait of Gibraltar, which would have provided enormous amounts of hydroelectricity and would have led to the lowering of the surface of the Mediterranean Sea by up to 200 metres (660 ft), opening up large new lands for settlement, for example in the Adriatic Sea. The project proposed four additional major dams as well

3 Likes

According to National Geographic, Tardigrades have survived five mass extinctions over the course of around a half a billion years.

1 Like

The film and book "The Shape of Things to Come " accurately predicted that WW2 will start by german polish fighting and that it will start in GdaƄsk (Danzig). There was first battle of WW2 fought there.

1 Like

Amazing, the huge ideas humans dream up.

During the Cold War U.S. President (former General) Dwight Eisenhower was concerned about the Panama canal and its strategic significance as the only shortcut between the Atlantic and the Pacific. He proposed using nuclear explosions to excavate a second canal a little north, through Nicaragua I believe.

1 Like

You can fill your lungs with perfluorohexane and still breathe, as this liquid can hold enough of oxygen between its molecules for breathing to continue. I wonder if that could be the way of making capsule technology real. :thinking:

1 Like

European men in the Middle Ages were almost as tall as modern men. The average height was around 173 centimeters (5 feet 8 inches), compared to the current average height of 177 centimeters (5 feet 10 inches). But then, men started getting shorter, due to worse nutrition and more disease. The worse nutrition was due to climate change (the Little Ice Age) and the disease was due to higher populations and urbanization.

“According to Steckel’s analysis, heights decreased from an average of 5 feet 8.27 inches (173.4 centimeters) in the early Middle Ages to an average low of roughly 5 feet 5.75 inches (167 cm) during the 17th and 18th centuries.”
"

1 Like

Approximately 40.000 Americans are injured by toilets each year

3 Likes

“There is a single mega-colony of ants that spans three continents, covering much of Europe, the west coast of the U.S., and the west coast of Japan.”

“In Europe, one vast colony of Argentine ants is thought to stretch for 6,000km (3,700 miles) along the Mediterranean coast, while another in the US, known as the “Californian large”, extends over 900km (560 miles) along the coast of California. A third huge colony exists on the west coast of Japan.”

They know it’s a single colony because Argentine ants from different colonies fight each other. Ants from these colonies will take care of each other as colony mates, even though they’re separated by oceans. For example, if an ant from the Japan colony is dropped in the Argentina colony, the locals will groom it like a sibling. (Humans unintentionally transported the ants from Argentina to the other continents).

3 Likes

The internet has a measurable mass and weight. Although most see it as a stream of data, that data consists of electrons, which has mass. If all the data were added together it would weigh less than a pound, but if the storage media were used to measure the weight it could very well weigh a ton. Far in the future, when drive capacity becomes enormous, the worry will not be about running out of space, but only carrying enough data such that you won’t be crushed by your phone (assuming such a thing is possible).

In short, the internet weighs something, very little.

1 Like

Steve Jobs relieved stress by soaking his feet in Apple’s company toilets. Some people called him a genius but idk, considering some of the things he did
 I’ll remain sceptical.

99 out of 100 ballpoint pens never run out of ink. They go missing long before that happens. (OK, not a fact, just a hypothesis).

If you consistently fart for 6 years and 9 months, enough gas is produced to create the energy of an atomic bomb

2 Likes

Most password required softwares are like that. Nothing new.