Game freezes when using two monitors

When using two monitors, EVE in borderless window mode on one and something else (youtube, open browser with news,…) on the other one, EVE freezes completely for about 10 seconds. During that freeze, GPU is at 100%, which really rarely happens on my 3080 in any game. After the freeze, the whole game just seems to reload all 3D assets, and after that it’s playable again.

This happens only when I’m using the content on the second monitor (actually clicking inside the browser or the application on the second monitor to make it “active”).

Since there are patches almost every day, I don’t know if some patch caused this or is it something else. I did start to notice this after a hardware change - this started to happen when I’ve switched from using HDMI to using Display ports on both of my monitors. Also, I’m updating GPU drivers as soon as they come out, so there could have been a driver update as well.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Any suggestions/fixes?

Thanks.

Which Window Mode do you use in the Eve Client Settings?

1 Like

Are both Monitors on the same Resolution?

Yes. The same resolution and the same refresh rate - 60 Hz.

My gaming monitor supports 144 Hz, but I’m limiting it to 60 Hz (in Windows display settings) for window mode games, and pushing all 144 Hz for exclusively full screen games. The second monitor (with its maximum 60 Hz) must be turned off in this case. If I try to push different refresh rates on each monitor while they are working, the whole setup just won’t work (black screens on both, then Windows returns everything to previous settings).

That almost reads like a faulty graphics driver to me. I myself have 4 monitors here, 2 of which have a very high resolution and also 144hz, the two smaller ones run at 60hz and I can’t reproduce the problem here.

You could try uninstalling the graphics driver, then reinstalling it and see if that helps …

1 Like

Thank you! I will try that.

I’ve had similar issues with Eve on a multi-monitor setup since CCP upgraded the graphics around Citadels one-to-two years ago.

I took part in the Carbon mass test the other week and the issue didn’t occur; however, I was having one of my two clients freeze completely regularly - not sure if that is better or worse tbh.
Anyway BR filed so hopefully that issue is fixed before it hits prod.