Ganking has gone too far

100 neutrals in null is easy to spot and you would not warp a loaded hauler around. 100 gankers in jita or surrounding systems isn’t easy to spot because there is always hundreds of people there.

tbh. what eve is missing is some tips in the launcher:

• don’t fly what you can’t afford to lose (or what you WANT to lose, in case of pvp ships)
  • the undock button is the pvp button
    etc.

Well if that is correct why does Concord interfere when gankings in high-sec happen. Why is the attacker shot and his standings are decreased. Why are pilots with standing below a certain level are shot when the enter high-sec, if CCP wants ganking to be practiced ? I think you understand me wrong I’m not generally against ganking.

Because that’s how the game works, but it’s a rather old mechanic that was more needed back when there was more ganking happening. Nowadays CONCORD is pretty much overkill due to the fact that there aren’t actually many gankers left.

The reason why they are there, is to make sure that ganking doesn’t get out of hand. At least that’s how it worked in the past. Looking at it from the present perspective it’s actually silly, because people could just switch between new Alphas forever. You misunderstand that just because there’s punishment, doesn’t mean that it’s not “allowed”. It is allowed, but we’re being punished for doing it.

If it wasn’t allowed, then it wouldn’t be possible. Just like you have the “freedom to move where ever you want”, but when players decide you can’t, then you can’t.

That’s pretty much what EVE has always been about. You can do whatever you want, but you have to accept the consequences of your actions. Or in-actions, like not tanking your ship while carrying billions. That’s dumb and gets consequences thrown at you.

2 Likes

That is why there are never an understanding between us.
Individuality and liberty is one divine truth that must be upheld everywhere.
I do not opose code for their ganking ways.
I oppose them they deny the liberty to mine.
Their permit are nothing but leashes, designed to justify their abuse of the innocents.

No, individuality and liberty are things you have because those in power let you, or want you to. That’s what apparently most people are unaware of. If you don’t believe it, look at what happened thanks to the Nazis, ask people in North Korea, China or read 1984.

Might makes Right. It has been that way for millions of years. Those stronger and smarter beat the weaker and dumber. Your sense of individuality and liberty means nothing in reality. When dictators rise, your choice is being a good citizen, or slave though you would not perceive yourself as such, obeying all the rules … or death.

People are so brainwashed by politics nowadays, you seriously believe there’s some sort of imaginary higher power giving you rights to live. No, that higher power is actually politics and military. When they decide otherwise you’re ■■■■■■ and everything you take for granted (the real, underlying problem here) ceases to exist.

So, now that i’ve explained why you’re wrong, let me make it clear why I’m right:

It’s a video game. Your freedom, and your rights, end at optimal+2x falloff. Laws of Nature fully apply in EVE. Your freedom only means as much as your ability to defend it, or uphold it, because unlike what you think, it’s not actually granted by default. You have to actually put effort into it.

4 Likes

Very well said.

1 Like

Your posts say otherwise. Just admit you want to see ganking severely nerfed or eliminated, and people might take your posts seriously.

1 Like

Please explain how I’m supposed to explode retrievers without ~denying them the liberty to mine~

You make no sense, dude.

5 Likes

And they did paid to CCP as well … in a game where we are each others content. Is your fault that you placed yourself on the wrong side of the content.

3 Likes

If you are not OK with “deny the liberty to mine”, how dare you deny their liberty to gank?

3 Likes

James does not forbid the miners to mine, nor does he infringe upon their right to mine. Any miner can choose to become CODE. compliant and obtain a valid mining indulgence for the modest fee of 10 million isk. James is most merciful and loves the miners most of all!

1 Like

Everything is calculated in terms of risk/reward. Just as it would be profitable to take a 10/1 odds bet on an event that had a 12% chance of happening, so too does one decide to undock in highsec to move cargo.

As an example, let’s say you want to move 600M in bulky PI or Minerals in a JF because you can get an extra 200M shipping it elsewhere, should you?

Expected value outcome of selling locally: 600M - 0
Expected value outcome of exporting: 800M - [(800+HullValueOf10B)*P(Gank)]

Thus if the probability of getting ganked is greater than ~1% (180M), which it sure is, then making any and all shipments with this profit profile is a terribly ill-advised idea.

The probability of getting ganked in a freighter in Uedama or Niarja is at least 10%, probably more like 20%. Therefore, you need to have a shipment profit of over 2B to risk a 10B JF hull. Now, of course, for you to have a shipment profit of 2B, you probably need to move a stupid amount like 8B in cargo if we assume a rosy 25% margin, which itself vastly increases the probability of getting ganked to probably over 50% in the first place and therefore, it behooves the capsuleer to never go through these systems. The irony of the situation is that keeping cargo value below 1B is counterproductive for the freighter pilots who ought to be doing something else with their lives because it doesn’t reduce gank risk nearly enough to compensate for the fact that the pinata of a hull that is risked costs 9-10B.

Btw, you can simply reduce these isk numbers by roughly factor of 10 to get the equivalent numbers for a vanilla T1 freighter.

All in all, it’s best to sell all of the risk to someone else via contracts until courier contract prices rise to meet the exhorbitant risk that comes with their chosen vocation.

1 Like

The only way you could get these figures is if you sat in those systems and counted the freighters coming through, and did this long enough over multiple days to get accurate results. I’m willing to bet you haven’t done this, so please tell us where you got these figures from.

I see freighters passing through these systems untouched all the time, especially closer to downtime. I believe 10% is far too pessimistic.

3 Likes

By several orders of magnitude.

2 Likes

Indeed.

At 10%, that would mean only 10 freighters went through Niarja yesterday as only a single freighter was ganked there yesterday:

And zero in Uedama.

Of course, if you sat there and counted, actually hundreds of freighters passed through those systems yesterday, and many dozens of jump freighters. Luke there might be correct that you have a high chance of being attacked by criminals if you offer them a multi-billion ISK payday, but if you respect sane hauling limits, and take some minor precautions, your chances of being ganked drop to the tenth, or even hundredth of a percent. Red Frog stopped issuing reports, but in their last one they reported over a 99.7% success rate and the MER shows losses to all sources as a fraction of a percent to all the goods moved around highsec.

Professionals haul stuff safely through highsec all the time. You have to take extreme risks, or pay no attention at all, to even have a chance of losing something, and even then, that is likely only to happen if you pass through a handful of choke points. If you can’t figure out how to do so, then I suggest you get in touch with one of the expert hauling groups who are happily taking people’s business and turning a profit moving things around highsec everyday.

2 Likes

Ganking is a myth.

It is entirely possible to fly a starter ship to the Goons front door without getting exploded.

It is also possible to get popped within a few gates of low-sec…

Not a game for snowflakes Eh!

Because ganking is an act of denying others freedom by forcibly podding unarmed mining craft which their only concern is simple, to mine.

Yes, afk mining is a a risky act which can easily targetted by gankers.
However you CODE. cultists made that a law, and even forced them to praise you when they are preyed upon.

There is no freedom to gank, only sadistic predation.

Simple, just gank and do not make it a law.
Do not claim your cult as a savior of highsec and force others to obey it.
Just gank if you want to.
That is all.