Ganking is a rediculous word to use in EvE, it is PvP where Concord shoots the winner

Of course you are right, what I meant to say was that some people say they had been ganked against their will. So sometimes the word “ganked” just means “killed”. I apologize for my poor wording.

o/

1 Like

Ganking implies lack of consent and since everyone consents to PvP when they undock, ganking doesn’t exist in EVE.

3 Likes

Well…

We all know Dryson wont do anything. He is like that little ankle biter dogs… japs more than anything else but if you eye him funny he scurries of and whimpers around a corner.

I lolled how he was going to help somebody that I had a war with promising him in AG (Got the logs) that he will kill me. Did not lift a finger in the end, left his own corp when i wardecced him to make it easier for him to come and shoot at me.

He did try to kill me with his alt when I activated a killright on it but he had no choice but to shoot back since just sitting there dying with nowhere to go.

4 Likes

Yep, he’s all mouth and no trousers.

Wow, so many new pilots in this thread who are trying to twist terminology.

Ganking has nothing to do with security of the system or the pilot. While ganking may happen more frequently in certain security status systems or from certain security status players, it’s just a commonality or a trend, not something that defines the terminology or changes the definition of the terminology.

Ganking will forever be defined as one or more players ganging up on one or more players that have zero chance of defending themselves regardless of the system security or the player security. For example, 100 ships versus 1 ship. This can be considered a gank. For another example, 1 PvP fitted ship versus 1 PvE fitted ship that has no defense or offense can be considered a gank.

It’s Your Fault If You Get Ganked

EVE Online is a mostly a strategy based game. Position of your ship (or character) is everything. If you get ganked in high sec, low sec, or null sec, then it’s your fault and no one elses. That’s because you put yourself in the position to be ganked. You have all the tools available to you in order to balance the status quo or to tip the scales in your favor. If you fall to a gank, it’s because you were lazy.

Why Ganking Is PvP

PvP refers to Player-versus-Player. Anything that is competition against another player is a form of Player-versus-Player (or PKILL for the really old school online gamers).

While you may not like ganking because it’s insanely unfair in your favor or you feel it takes almost no skill to accomplish, it still does not mean it’s not Player-versus-Player. Being fair or to offer a fair competition is not a requirement of something being Player-versus-Player or not. It’s just a rare benefit that some players strive for to have a balanced encounter.

EVE by far is the one game where playing fair is actually a negative because giving your opponent equal opportunity to defeat you is not in your best interest. While you may disagree with that because you feel fair is the best route to a great fight or good gameplay experience, that is only a preference of how you like to fight, not a standard of how all should fight.

As EVE is greatly determined by build as much as position, most of us are trying to tip the scales in our favor so you are rock and we are paper and or make you feel we are rock and you are paper when in reality, we are scissor and we are about to cut your heart out.

2 Likes

By you.
Gank = gang kill

Unless you want to argue one person with alts (gank) or one person with multiple personality disorder. (not a gank)

1 Like

Deal with it.

1 Like

What the real crime here is another thread about the same thing as the last gank thread

5 Likes

The reason why one person can be a gank is because in other games, level is a major factor to either having an advantage or disadvantage. For example, a single high-level character killing a low-level character. This is a form of ganking because the definition is centered around great disadvantage before it even refers to number of characters. May not actually apply to EVE Online though.

Ganking always involves superior numbers, as a gang on less numerous targets.

Idgaf how people misuse the term, this is what it means.

You cant “gank” someone alone, or when you have less players in the engagement than them.

1 Like

It doesn’t. Players with less than a million skill points routinely kill those with over 100 million skill points.

Gank = gang kill

1 Like

Third world problems

You misuse terms all the time, making up your own definitions as you go along; don’t be a hypocrite.

The TL;DR of most of your posts is “I have my opinion, and I’m right” despite being frequently wrong.

2 Likes

It does if the target is completely defenseless and the one targeting them is superior to them. For example, a PvP fitted ship killing a indy ship in high-sec space where the PvP fitted ship completely dominates the indy ship to a point where they are destroyed by Concord. This is a gank. More specifically, a suicide gank.

Having more than one person involved as the opposing force is not a requirement of a gank. The reason why numbers are even a consideration in most ganks is because the more numbers you have the more superior you are to the opponent. The more superior you are, the more likely it becomes a gank. This is why when most people think of ganking, they don’t think 1v1, they think 10v1.

One person can be far superior than an opponent to where it’s a gank. If it’s not skill points, it’s going to be build versus build under the right situation. In meaning, it’s hard to be considered a gank in most 1v1 situations because of the balance. In most situations, you are going to want more numbers and thus become more likely to be a gank than anything else.

For one last example, I would consider a Brutix pimped out with max DPS locking a Frigate as it undocked and insta popping it one volley as a gank. If the Brutix and Frigate met in open space where the Frigate engaged the Brutix or the Brutix engaged the Frigate, then I would not consider that a gank even if the outcome was similar.

Ganking in High Sec is not PvP. It is mass hording to a target and blowing it up. There is no difficulty in ganking in High Sec as 25 ships can attack and destroy a freighter on the gate without too much difficulty.

Blobbing in High Sec is nothing more than laziness and a very welfare based of making ISK. Cheap and the lowest class of Capsuleer in the game.

PvP.
Players vs. Player.
Unless the target is not a Player, it’s PvP.

People arguing with those who lack the education or intellectual capabilities to draw that simple connection, (like Dryson, of whom we all know what he is capable of) really are no better than these people. Would you do the same in a special needs school? Run around and tell everyone they’re wrong and keep arguing just so they tell you you’re right?

You would not. So why here?

Ganking has stopped having a negative definition a looong time ago. In MOBA games is an integral part of the game, and so is in Eve I guess.

Still, if that’s the difinition of pvp, the fact that Eve is a pvp game doesn’t mean you have to be engaged directly with other players all the time.

If I find an empty Wormhole System full of Relic and Data sites, I’m winning at Eve pvp.
If I manage to clear all the combat sites from a wormhole without anyone showing up, I’m winning at Eve pvp.
If I manage to reliably haul all that stuff back to Jita by using a sub 2s aligning frigate or a very tanky hauler and sell it for good money, I’m winning at Eve pvp.

Even if I never had to deal with another player. Hell, especially so.

No examples needed. If it is not a gang kill, it is not a gank. Simple as that.

Zkill doesn’t even classify a kill as a gank unless at least 5 ships were involved in the kill…

That’s because zKill cannot detect the situation in which it makes a gank outside of numbers.

The reason why the Brutix example is a gank is because of the situation and the build. zKill won’t be able to detect that situation easily enough to classify it.

It doesn’t matter if you disagree with that. It’s been classified as ganking since the late 90’s as such. It’s been that way since I’ve piloted here in 2004.

1 Like