Ganking is a rediculous word to use in EvE, it is PvP where Concord shoots the winner

I agree with you. I consider a single Catalyst killing a single mining barge to be a gank. I was just pointing out that Zkill (which everyone uses) doesn’t consider it to be a gank with less than 5 ships vs 1.

1 Like

Perhaps one could find a new definition, which helps the victim to understand their situation better.

Gank - The impulse to express discomfort over a loss of a ship under unexpected circumstances.

Exactly, the word gank is millenial / tween candy.

Well, it mostly means “attacking targets that are not capable of defending themselves due to an overwhelming difference in power or numbers”. So it makes sense in the scenario of even 1 catalyst against a hauler. That’s not supposed to be a fair fight.

Of course, in other MMOs where there is barely a point in doing this this might have a negative connotation.

But in games where there is a point, like MOBAs or Eve, avoiding getting ganked is part of pvp, and you usually get rewarded for doing so, even if not directly.

Of course, it’s also the duty of game designers to make sure there is counterplay to ganking, simply because if there isn’t nobody would do activities that makes them vulnerable to it. Eve seems to have it even for haulers, so I say we can talk about ganks and also not see it as a bad thing.

If you whined less about ganking and stayed off autopilot and fit your ships correctly you might not have to worry about ganking, but since posting a new post daily about the subject instead of playing the game you make yourself a target to the rest of the sharks in the sea…

2 Likes

Ok in all seriousness we need to talk about this.

Eve online is the only game I know of where the tutorial actively tries to get the players killed by INSISTING they use autopilot.

Is it to teach the players to “trust nobody, not even the tutorial”?

Probably just game designers who don’t play their own game. But yeah, the autopilot thing is extremely stupid

There are players now that think this is the only way to get around.

Fortunately there are more than enough pilots willing to show them the error of their ways…

It’s a public service

2 Likes

Honest question.

I had always used Gank or Ganker to describe what we do, here at Petulant. Having come from other games where there was a free for all environment my understood definition of “gank” was from there… so… based on the following…

When a solo pilot, in HS, engages multiples at the same time or a single, with intent to destroy and accepting CONCORD will do their thing; No alts, no bumpers. What is that called?

ganking

please ignore Salvos as he doesn’t know what he’s talking about :wink:

2 Likes

I concur.

Wait a minute, the tutorial now instructs you to use auto pilot?

I must tip my hat to the master level trolls at CCP Games.

Yeah, the first time you have to go to another system it tells you to set the destination and press the autopilot button. It never mentions that you can warp to zero on the gate and I have heard several times from new players now that they found out way way later about that.

Very interesting, thanks Ima.

Next thing you know they’ll have the tutorial telling noobs to mine without a permit! :hushed:

1 Like

Now that would be concerning :scream: . Thinking of it they should also change the default bio and add at least some praise to James 315. Sane defaults are always important.

ITT: Snowflakes that cant accept a definition.

:point_up: special snowflake who can’t handle how words change meaning and has to obsess about absolutes.

1 Like

Spoken like a true snowflake.

Well, hope you are happy with the result, you can’t say you weren’t warned. Just a minor quibble: he will be breathing up to our shoelaces at best.