Ganking makes Eve a better place

A good post and some useful tips , if people used the killright sys better on many of the gankers that keep their security status high, that would help people like us hunt them . Even Jita isn’t safe these days. Abyssal runners are dying to guys like these , this is one of their kills

Please sent us your KR on any of these guys .

Abyssal runners (the blinged ones) deserve to die. It’s 100% safety instanced PvE content. If you’re going to save those players (and especially make them seem like victims), the AG movement is going to shift from “white-knight villain counter-play movement” status to “actively hurting the health of the game” status.

Think about what you’re doing.

2 Likes

HS gankers targets anything that does’nt move even thier shadows. Seems they are high on something😊

As if expert abyssal runners care about lossing a billion isk cheap ship once in awhile. T4-T6 is a richmans goldmine.

We have , we don’t have the time to over fish .
Nice to see your back btw .

@Aiko_Danuja told me you passed away , I started wearing back things

Freighters, 200mil cargo, DST’s, blingy mission boats.

Absolutely no mention of new players. But thanks for playing…

1 Like

No. As I said previously that would be a disaster to implement. So the very least they can do is make bumping a bit more realistic to size and weight, or altered by mods like the bastion mod.

So in a cruiser on cruiser battle you can effectively still bump to avoid them going for a gate or station. But in no way will a cruiser move a Orca very far at all. Like maybe a few meters at full speed, not kilometers like it is now. Just stupid looking.

I am, collisions in Eve are preposterous. As far as Jita goes that’s fixable, NPC traffic control could keep ships from popping out on top of each other.
I have no issue with bumping as a tactic, but it should be causing damage, that and I think we could do with specialized ships designed for bumping.
Being able to bounce off the sun is flat out idiotic, it should cause a horrible screaming flaming death. Same with ships at any reasonable velocity.

An Orca is only about 10x heavier than a cruiser with a MWD active. Discounting the whole concept of damage upon impact (something the engine can’t support and something that would be game-breaking), a cruiser traveling at 3,500 m/s would be able to move the Orca at an initial velocity of about 350 m/s. This is indeed how the game engine currently works.

One missing part of the equation is that cargo weight isn’t added to ship weight in EVE. I imagine that that’s because doing so would add a lot of complexity to the engine. On the other hand, the game is also missing the concept of conservation of momentum (ships slow down automatically as if by friction, which isn’t how space actually works). If the game had conservation of momentum, it would be much more difficult for a slow ship like an Orca to recover from a bump.

Clearly we will never get it to be realistic. A cruiser traveling at 3500 m/s would lose some of it’s impact momentum on the Orca as it disintegrates on impact.

So to avoid all these game breaking yet realistic ideas simply just lower the impact of bumping especially on larger targets.

Even small bumps would prevent an Orca from aligning or making it back to the gate, because Orcas accelerate very slowly and have very low top speeds. You wouldn’t get situations in which they’re bumped tens or even hundreds of kilometres away from their initial positions, but that’s completely irrelevant since the net effect would be the same.

Well I have ran into grievers/ greedy ice farmers in hisec that will bump your Orca right out of the area. So a change would still allow the type of strategy you are talking about while making it harder to play stupid games in hisec like the above mentioned. So no harm as you pointed out to the pvper, but less grieving over ore/ice or whatever reason you have for playing bump the larger ship for S&G.

See everyone wins

T1 haulers are mentioned.
Regardless, it tends to be newer players losing. Of course you have veteran deaths too, but it’s the defenseless that gankers hunt for, not a fight.
Highsec gankers can’t pvp, which is why they’re in highsec looking for defenseless people, regardless of how much they’re carrying.
I lost a miasmos with 14 veldspar in the hold on my alt a few weeks ago.
There is no “safe” cargo limit.

3 Likes

Not really, everyone doesn’t win. You’re basically asking for complete immunity from player interference for a select play style/activity. You can’t declare war on these miners, because they’re war-immune. You can’t practically gank them because ganking 700,000 EHP worth of Orca without any financial payoff is so extremely impractical that it’s borderline-impossible, and now you won’t even be able to bump them either. Does full immunity to player interaction and the lack of any possible counter-play seem like a good idea for the game EVE Online?

Prove it.

Nice responses. Even some tears of hate in there, which is gratifying.

1. I would argue that an MJD is useful depending on what’s ganking you. Yes, a Tornado’s approach is to 1-shot you, but a ganking Vexor takes 4-5 shots which can be more than enough time to spool it up. An MWD could be more useful depending on conditions, but remember it also increases your signature radius a lot.

2. It is not futile to avoid Eudama in a freighter. It’s smart. Ask the dead pilots there if they agree.

3. Ganking absolutely makes eve a better place. For one, there’s no reason for 0.5-0.9 security systems unless ccp intended on lawless cutthroats doing their thing. Ganking teaches people to think and that eve cannot be played as a purely passive PVE game. There is always danger. CCP intends it to be this way.

4. Yes, tears are awesome. You play eve with children for 18 years and you will come to the same conclusion. Children need discipline and instruction on what eve truly is. It is not for the weak. Yes, my pleasure is all that matters. This is why I play the game. If you play just to be sad or depressed and not for your own pleasure then something needs to be fixed. Yes, I do plenty of legitimate PvP as well, and I relish a good fight of relatively even forces, regardless of outcome. Ganking is just a side thing so that I can help improve eve for the other players.

5. Ganking solo does require skill. It requires multiple accounts to scan kill and loot, a lot of preparation, a lot of patience, careful application of power, attention to kill-rights, attention to npc police, decent logistics, and the ability to kill innocent children without mercy and profit from it.

6. Concord is not useless. NPC police can and usually do ruin a solo-gank. They are much less an issue for large ganking groups.

7. I would only enjoy clubbing seals if they dropped gold. Also, they can’t re-spawn and learn from their stupidity so it wouldn’t help the world like it helps eve.

8. 90% of the people I gank don’t even know what a kill-right is, or they are stupid enough to put a 200 Mil kill-right on me, which no one in their right mind would exercise. Kill-rights can be a bit of a deterrent if enough people used them correctly. I also think ccp should make them last 6 months instead of 1 if they actually wanted to discourage ganking. (they don’t).

9. Some of you talk about how defenseless noobs are. I would argue it doesn’t take much to properly fit a hauler ship. Combined with proper caution and awareness and even a tactic or two, any noob can transport easily. They just have to dig a little and learn. I just expedite the process.

Anyone that disagrees with anything I said has clearly been killed a lot by gankers and this is the only way they can express their sadness. The truth is that they are really just angry at themselves because, well, you know… they failed but can’t admit it outright.

5 Likes

T1 haulers carrying 200mil.

New players don’t have 200mil. And if they do, they are not new.

Defenseless =/= new.
Hi-sec =/= new player space.

My point is, you’re trying to build a narrative out of lies and hear-say.

3 Likes

Weightlifting_Nerd has to be Infinity Ziona right?

No surprise if so.

1 Like

I can’t speak in generalities. Not having been around long enough. My observation tho is you would have to define “new”. Anyone more than about a month old and 200 mil seems quite possible; possibly even regularly available.

Ratting in low sec and a T1 hauler of loot quickly gets to 100 mil. Add a mordu bpc or a handful of clone tags and 200+ mil is well on the cards.

When the recent buff to gas mining occurred, the first few miasmos loads were also easily in that 200 mil range.

It takes imagination, and possibly leaving HS, but it is doable. Allegedly.

I would have thought it was the other way around. It is the ganked who don’t want to do PvP, with the gankers deliberately bringing it to them for exactly that reason. That is their “justification”.

And how much is being carried seems to be irrelevant. Just as long as the killmail is in favor of the ganker. If the gankers actually do end up isk positive out of it, due to loot, that would seem to just be a bonus?

I have a suspicion this might be at the core of player retention ie lack of opportunities for/ ability to be, a solo player.

CCP’s modus operandi (the sandbox) seems to be focused on conflict and the benefit of collaborative effort when either resisting or exercising it.

Ironically, the oft repeated contention of CCP that being ganked increases player retention is actually supportive of this idea. Their hypothesis is the more ganking happens to you, the more you realize there are things you can do, as an individual, to prevent it. And that works. Up to a point. That point (in my mind) is either when you don’t want to do PvP in first place and/ or when you realize you need “friends”.

I can’t prove this, but my suspicion is many prospective players just want to do their own thing. Can’t. And leave. Those that stay, and specifically stay because they were ganked, probably(?) do so because they discovered PvP was their thing?

Go ahead and keep ganking. On balance it is probably a good thing. And yet, (far) too small a thing to positively influence player retention?

Oh I never said it didn’t affect player retention. Having played since 2003 and ganked plenty, I think it has a profound affect on player retention. There are many who simply want to mine or do missions in peace and enjoy the beauty of what’s there and perhaps make a friend or two. Now some meat brain comes along and simply strips all their pride and wealth away from them and there are basically no consequences. Many quit on the spot and never get really hooked. I strongly feel CCP could retain far more people if they had real game-play mechanisms in place to help these people. Making money however, has never been ccp’s primary goal. There are simply way too many things they have done, and continue to do to promote their vision of a chaotic universe. What we see them doing now, (since being bought out) is to promote player retention by other means, such as making early training much easier, and the hundreds of events and skill giveaway’s and plex paks etc… When eve started, there were no such things and now it’s vastly easier to start. CCP isn’t trying to improve retention through game-play changes so much as trying to encourage new players by making it easier to start and many free giveaways.

1 Like