Gas Planets need an upgrade

Reality out there exists. And as we learn more about the real universe, games that (loosely) pretend to be simulations of realitymust keep up, or they risk becoming dated camp. With the JUNO probe we have become capable of visualizing and representing gas giants in a way that is … just awe inspiring.

It is time Eve Online upgrade respective textures. And while we’re at it, rings are also way overdue.

Gas planets are actually pretty close to reality in terms of accuracy. They have a very dynamic atmosphere with appearing and disappearing cyclones, lots of bands like on Jupiter, calm gas giants like Saturn or Neptune. The texture work on the gas giants is pretty complicated and mesmerizing to watch. It could potentially benefit from better quality of the individual parts that form the dynamic cloud layer and if done right, they could be even more awesome. But then again, I also fear that, because this would be very complicated to pull off, CCP could just smash static cyclone pictures and bands on the gas giants … :weary:

2 Likes

Reading the title I thought it was about PI on Gas Giant planets.
Seems like extractors’ area are based on the planet size, and also the size of the factories, which leads to links consuming much more power on giant planets than tiny planets.

I think it would be better if the factories and extractor sizes would be the same across different sized planets. This way links would not consume an absurd amount of power on giant planets.

Do you honestly not believe this was an intended design?

then it’s a good thing eve doesn’t even try to be even a loose simulation of reality…

I honestly don’t believe it, and I can’t see the logic behind it. Gas giant planets have weak overall resources and could stand to benefit from the suggested change. Maybe they won’t be popular for fringe conquest, but they could support a larger number of players on the same planet, thus making them ideal for heavily populated systems.

We are immortal people who pilot spaceships that can be kilometers long, having density comparable to air’s and moving throughout the space as if through water. There is not much reality in EVE.

We are immortal people who pilot spaceships that can be kilometers long, having density comparable to air’s and moving throughout the space as if through water. There is not much reality in EVE.

You don’t think that’s a sad state of affairs? Would you say CCP should just give up and revert to a Pokemon level of fantasy play? Hell, why not enter Spelljammer ships if it makes no difference. Bah, sad and unambitious lack of vision.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.