Gen. Discussion on the PLEX SALE EMail ccp just sent out

We all know what we can do with Plex and how much influence this has on “winning the game”. The problem is how this stuff is advertised:
Addressing the instant gratification crowd and changing the image of the game slowly to something that drives long term players that are “Eve material” away.
Even if such a campaign is successful, it will hurt the game long term. Have fun, keeping the player type happy you address with such ads.

I really can’t understand, why people are raging about some percentage loss in carrier ratting ticks, that doesn’t change any substantial about the game, but are ignoring CCP undermining Eve as a whole.

1 Like

I thought this all looked familiar. I’m wondering when they will start selling card packs with only a “Chance of winning” plex, ships or parts…That’s what EA did with Need for Speed World.

I’m hoping for a foil vexor!

–CCGadget

EVE Online has amazing complexity, myriads of details to explore, the vast variety of available ships/fits to kill/get killed in…all this makes EVE Online unique.

EVE Online is being marketed as the engaging, dark, brutal and beautiful experience. And rightfully so.

But…

We live in an age where paying a subscription is becoming a less and less intriguing prospect. In addition the way EVE Online is built, very few potential new players are willing to be in it for weeks/months just to be able to board a ship of their choosing. Those times are gone. People want to board that bomber now. Not in a month and some.

Pay to Win? No. Buying skillpoints does not buy experience.

People want access to [ideally] everything asap. CCP is simplifying this option to them (it was always possible, char bazar).

Whether or not those people stay with EVE after their $/€ > PLEX > ISK > Ships chain brings them little more than fancy explosions in space is another matter altogether.

Also, don’t forget that Skill Injectors are a godsend for veteran players, too.

You’ve been around long enough to know that “Pay to Win” simply doesn’t work in EVE. People have tried to “pay to win” for a long time for example by buying fully skilled alts, buying crystal/slave sets, buying officer modules, etc. It makes absolutely no difference because they die just the same if they don’t know exactly what they’re doing. EVE is not a game in which money (isk or otherwise) can get you ahead.

Yeah it can get you nice stuff and big ships. But it can’t get you experience. We vets know this. The skills you acquire through years of combat are what make the difference. That, and your friends.

It’s pretty obvious this campaign is aimed at the newer users, probably with alpha clones. Good for CCP. Anything that brings in more cash for them will keep this game going for US. The new users who suck will eventually quit, but some will stick around and get good. I wouldn’t worry too much about this advertising.

1 Like

Anyone hear if new owners of eve Pearl Abyss kept the EA executives?

That EA guy (Sean Decker) left CCP this year I think.

1 YEAR LATER

Necro’d on 31st of October. I sense a Halloween joke here.

@ISD_Sakimura Necro or treat!

Because ccp sends mails to people which already have a account and should „know“ the game ?