Gendered Item Descriptions

Hello there everyone,

I know that the majority of people who play video games are men but not everyone is and when reading item descriptions and they all talk about “his ship” and “he” and “him” it can be a downer to read this stuff and wonder if female players are accepted y’know. I think almost every booster or implant with references to the pilot references them as “he” and “his”. If you want a specific example the “Improved Drop Booster” is one of many such items. I get that probably a lot of you don’t care about this and I might be being a bit of Karen but it does genuinely make me feel like I’m not welcome sometimes.

Thank you for reading and fly safe!

2 Likes

I see posts like this a lot in various places, I also see things in real life where people either have to choose to write in the work email signatures for example (him/his) (Her/She) (Them/they) and the only thing that I think on it is with the world going to s**t with war, pollution and greed that don’t these people have other, better things to worry about.

Are you really saying that because of the description of the improved drop booster and other such items in game that you really do not feel welcomed in EvE? Surely the welcome that you should really care about is those that you fly with in game and how they treat you, are you in a corp that is accepting of all people no matter race, colour or identity, or one where they throw around slurs and racial crap, becuase that stuff matters (in my opinion of course).

I think people are just too sensitive about things that actually don’t matter in the slightest be it in this game, in other games or in real life

3 Likes

there are a lot of non-binary folks around that I know and love. It’s not that hard of a thing to do. As for the above, it was probably written by a guy and most guys just don’t care.

1 Like

the only thing that I think on it is with the world going to s**t with war, pollution and greed that don’t these people have other, better things to worry about.

You know people can care about multiple things at once? Also different people care about different things to different degrees. That doesn’t mean we should strive to ONLY make changes for 1 gigantic global problem at a time, we can strive to make multiples changes to multiple things (of various importance) at one time.

Surely the welcome that you should really care about is those that you fly with in game and how they treat you, are you in a corp that is accepting of all people no matter race, colour or identity, or one where they throw around slurs and racial crap, becuase that stuff matters (in my opinion of course).

Once again more than one thing can be true to different degrees. You can fly in a good corp AND push to make things like descriptions more inclusive.

I think people are just too sensitive about things that actually don’t matter in the slightest be it in this game, in other games or in real life

If you’ve seen lots of posts like this in various places than maybe it does matter a bit more than you think? At least to other people. Just because it’s not important to you doesn’t mean it’s not important to others.

I for one agree with @Maddii_Scarlet and even think changes like this could make it more immersive and accurate to the pilot I am in game.

Much love to all pilots and fly safe!

o7

2 Likes

This booster throws a pilot into temporary dementia, making every target feel like a monstrous threat that must be destroyed at all costs. The pilot manages to force the ship’s turrets into better tracking, though it may take a while before the pilot stops wanting to kill everything in sight.

The above is an example of the 2 requested changes plus 1 grammar fix, and as a side effect the flavor text description appears to be more precise as well.

It has been traditional in writing for a long, long time to refer to everything in the masculine unless it is specifically feminine. Some folks choose to change this up and write she as the standard pronoun when discussing things, and I find that this is most common when the person writing uses feminine pronouns. Similarly, those who use masculine pronouns do the same thing. That’s what I tend to do.

In the end, it’s just either tradition or a convenience, and it shouldn’t be viewed as something designed to exclude.

4 Likes

You’re right

1 Like

had a similar problem , when i referred to my thorax as a ‘she’ .
my thorax was like ‘do i look like a she’ ?? and i was like ’ no , you look like a big 'ol wanger ’ .
then i explained that it’s a simple tradition , not inclusive , exclusive , or divisive . and that most of such complaints aren’t really about hurt feelings . but about trying to exercise controls over others thoughts and speech . which is far worse .

my thorax thought about that for a moment , and agreed it was no big deal . then we spooned … :smiley:

In case you aren’t aware: Eve has lore and history behind it – Well over a decade at this point. The majority of the major tech giants and their lead engineer/designers for ships, implants, and boosters were male and the those men are referred to with their proper pronouns.

Eve should not rewrite its own history to add in people that didn’t exist in order for different pronouns to be added into the universe in order to be more “diverse”.

Go read some of the former Amarr Empress’s stuff for some she/her pronouns, and perhaps understand how she became literally the most powerful female in all of Eve and learn to have some damn respect for the lore and history behind this game.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.