Give Alphas the ability to use Mining Barges!

There is not enough turret slots on it to be useful. Could be a good hauler though.

Sure, if you want to sit there for 8 hours trying to fill up a jetcan using a single mining laser…

I ahree, maybe to be able to use a low end barge as an Alpha wouldbe beneficial. You did just give battle cruiser and battleship skills in Dec…

It will be beneficial

I would have to warp in and out every 150 seconds in my barge if I was just keeping the ore in my barge and selling it every time it filled up. Your problem isnt your skillset.

TBH, your first problem is that you’re mining.

1 Like

the problem here is that I like mining

If you like it, use rokh and you will make as much profit as in retriver or even bit more. Just jetcan or use friend for hauling.

what if people steal the ore?

That’s the risk you take with jetcan mining. Use a corp mate in a hauler instead.

They must become suspect to do that so it’s chance you or someone else will get easy kill. I also used to mine in hisec for 4 months using jetcan covetor and never lose my ore but always is the risk.

maybe, consider using more than one alpha account to miner

QuakeGod mentioned jetcan mining. I did this back during my last go-round with Eve, but forgot how it’s done. How is jetcan mining done?

Simply mine a bit of ore, right click on it in your cargo hold, and select jettison. It will then produce a cargo container close to your ship that holds roughly 27,500 m3. Keep transferring the mined ore into the jet can. However, anyone that wants can either steal from it or pop it. The can also only lasts about 2 hours in space, so make sure to empty it completely before then. Once it is completely empty, it poofs.

Also, if you have a friend hauling for you in a T1 hauler or anything that doesn’t have a shared fleet bay, if they are in your fleet they can use the can as a method of immediately transferring ore from your ship to theirs via the jet can. This is the best method to use to make sure none of your ore gets stolen. Just make sure to leave a single piece of ore in the jet can so it doesn’t go poof. So if someone does steal from your jet can, all they are going to get is a single unit of whatever random ore and a suspect flag for their trouble.

Ah yes, now I remember! Yes, of course there is the possibility that someone might steal it, but that’s ok. I stay only in hi-sec and if someone wants to steal my scordite, well, that’s pretty sad. Thank you for your helpful answer.

People will do it to troll you, and to bait people into attacking them. Can-flipping used to be a pretty common practice in the olden days, before they added that security light stupidity. I was never into that kind of thing, personally, but I was sad to see it get removed.

Jetcan mining can also be used to bait thieves. Say, for example, there are three or four of you mining and one of you fit a web and a scram and you all have combat drones. You put out a jetcan hoping that someone will steal from it, and when they do you web and scram them, then (depending on what type of ship they are in), take them out with 10 to 25 combat drones or however many you have. It’s situational of course, but it’s another form of mining that’s slightly more exciting than just watching lasers and transferring ore. Just make sure to warp out to a safe spot after you kill the ore thief because you and whoever else killed him will now be valid targets for a certain amount of time. Wait out the timer, then go back to mining.

1 Like

Then upgrade to Omega and all of your problems will be solved. It will also help CCP maintain and improve this game.

2 Likes

That’s what I did back in the day. The Rokh is a very descent mining boat if you want to.

And yes, this very serious. Don’t underestimate the capabilities of a Rokh.

1 Like

Indeed, the Rokh can be used as a very effective mining ship. It’s just that most miners won’t use it for that particular role because they can’t just push F1, walk away and watch Netflix while it mines.

3 Likes