Venture Upgrade for Alphas

I wouldn’t be surprised if this has already been suggested. I see a lot of alphas wanting to use mining barges, why not give the venture a 3rd turret slot? Just upgrade the cpu or give it an extra trait that reduces the cpu cost of mining lasers. The model already has a 3rd hard point on it, and It wouldn’t take any extra skill points either.

1 Like

Because if you give Alphas an inch, they will take a mile. That’s why not. A battleship such as the Rokh can mine a hell of a lot more than a Venture, but because it can’t be AFK’d, they want no part of it. And yes, what you’ve suggested has been brought up at least 1,000 times…

6 Likes

I’m getting so tired of this Alpha BS I think they need to get rid of alpha accounts all together and go back to straight pay to play I’m so tired of these whiny little Alpha account they want everything but they don’t want to pay anything go a Omega either pay through in-game money or pay the real life $$ website for a monthly subscription

9 Likes

Yes, this has been posted on and discussed many, many times with lots of discussion on why extending more mining ability/ships to Alphas is not good for the game.

However, since most of those threads are extremely long and filled with lots of bitterness, here’s a quick summary.

This would be very damaging to the ore market and market in general due to the rapid influx of minerals. Alphas have been set up in more of a consumer position (which is generally a good thing for the game).

The options and tradeoffs for Alphas are essentially as follows:

1. Keep going with the Venture and max your skills and fits to increase your yield. No change from where you are.
  2. Look at moving up to a Prospect or Endurance for a bit of a bump. More training and skills at the potential expense of others. Handy for other things like gas or LS/WH mining in those ships though.
  3. Look at fitting a battleship (like a Rokh) for mining. This requires very active attention since you need to jet can due to the small hold. But good yield.

For more info, check the other posts in the forum.

And be warned- this thread will likely turn south.

1 Like

Just so I don’t have to explain it for the 100th time, I’ll re-post this fit I made. Any Alpha can fly this fit with no implants required. This is the absolute cheapest, best tanked, highest yield, mining Rokh setup you can get. Either mine into a jetcan or mine into a fleet hangar…

5 Likes

Because most botters use alpha accounts now,mining is low input activity perfect for botting,also CCP don’t want alphas into the industry aspect of the game they seem to want to maintain that for omegas.As an alpha you’re basically entertainment material for omegas until you upgrade.

1 Like

Alphas can train upto Mining Frigate 4. Period. Since trained to this level, it actually has 4.8 mining lasers yield. And a 5,000 orehold.

If you want more yield you can:

Train into Tech2 Mining Lasers.

Train some Cybernetics, and insert a Highwall MX-1003 implant for an extra 3% ore.

Train Mining Upgrades to 4, and use a single Mining Upgrade II for 9% yield again.

Best advice. Make friends and get invited to a mining fleet with a Orca Mining Foreman boost, and gain upto 33% yield when the laser cycle is reduced from 60s to 40s.

But if you are looking purely at the isk. Train battleships, get into Incursions/Vanguards and earn upto 100,000 isk per hour - and never need to subscribe.

The point is this. There will always be a cap somewhere along the line. Whether that is at the Frigate, Barge or Exhumer level. Current Omega miners already ask for what is next after a maxed-hulk. (other than kiss the ring, sell your soul and move to null). There isn’t. This game is not about leveling the mining ship - it’s about networking and relations. See both the big “gains”? Fleets and Incursions - means talking to people.

You either accept the limits of solo or expand in group.

1 Like

“Players who don’t pay anything to play a subscription-based game want more out of their ‘investment’. Let’s give 'em some more free stuff.”

2 Likes

This is a crazy leap from “barges” to “bigger venture mining power” and you completely ignore the expedition frigates.

The only permanent objection I have in regards to this entire theme would be ice. Under no circumstances should ice ever be allowed to be mined by an alpha account. I am fine with giving them access to expedition frigates but NOT letting them get beyond level 1. If that’s not enough for you subscribe or find what we ancients did in the old days. Adapt a ship not made for mining and use a friend to haul the stuff out.

1 Like

Hey QuakeGod. I summon the wayback machine.

@Tau_Cabalander Hope you don’t mind.

Alphas can’t use Deep Core mining lasers or crystals, but yeah, other than that it would work.

It’s a 2011 post. Old idea isn’t bad idea.

Alphas cannot access the Expedition Frigates. The venture is it.

I recall the old days of mining Navitas and Ospreys. pfff 5,000 orehold. These kids do know how good they have it.

4 Likes

That was IF you could afford to build a Navitas in the first place…

1 Like

Oh I remember mining my first battleship with an Osprey very well. I even went to lowsec to mine Jaspet - unfortunately I was killed at the out gate since there was no warping to zero in late 2006.

1 Like

You dont really want to mine as an alpha for isk. Learn to scan and hack and make big buck.

Mine can be done afk. At least in some backwater high sec systems. That is what makes mining attractive for ISK making. Here you have your CODE. magnet:
[Armageddon Navy Issue, alpha miner, CODE. magnet]

Expanded Cargohold II
Expanded Cargohold II
Expanded Cargohold II
Expanded Cargohold II
Expanded Cargohold II
Expanded Cargohold II
Expanded Cargohold II
Mining Laser Upgrade II

500MN Y-T8 Compact Microwarpdrive
Cap Recharger II
Large Shield Extender II
Cargo Scanner II

Miner II
Miner II
Miner II
Miner II
Miner II
Miner II
Miner II
[Empty High slot]

Large Cargohold Optimization I
Large Processor Overclocking Unit I
Large Processor Overclocking Unit I

Gecko x2

Over 5,5 K m3 cargohold, double yield vs venture. Pimp it and post here where you use it to get your free antimatter delivered into the hull asap.

1 Like

There would be no incentive to upgrade to an omega account if they just gave alphas (should be called betas, but that’s another discussion) everything they keep wanting. As a 9 year bitter-vet I can assure you that the venture, as is, is a God-send. So count your blessings.

Try using a Bantam to mine for 3 weeks until you could get into a Retriever… unless you bit the bullet and went for learning skills first… omg… learning skills. vomit oh God… voommmmiiiiitttt.

3 Likes

I’m an alpha who is considering reviving an old paid account. I can understand paying subscribers not wanting to give alphas more than they have now.

And what we have now is really quite a lot. I miss my old paid account mining barge, but the Venture is an extremely good mining ship. And cheap!

2 Likes

For me it was the burst in late '08 early '09. I managed to PLEX with that setup. Unless they changed mechanics and you have to pay actual cash to upgrade from Alpha to Omega the 1st time, I really don’t get what the problem is at all TBH.