Hacking & Harvesting?

Hi All,

Am just begining my career in exploration (almost 1 week in) and am using as a ship a Probe. What I’ve been going after are Relic and Data sites but it seems, at least in the systems I’ve been exploring, that I come across 2 Gas sites for every one of Data/Relic sites. Can I fit my probe to harvest gas as well? Is it worth while. i.e. time spent harvesting vs risk vs return? I have a mobile depot so can swap out equiptment based on what I find.

Thanks!
T’ral

You CAN fit a gas harvester to your probe (if you can make the fitting work) but the problem your going to have is cargo space

I don’t know off the top of my head what the cargo bay on a probe is, but it’s not big enough to make it worth bothering.

A venture or a prospect is the normal ships for gas.

1 Like

Thanks Scarlett … what I suspected but thought I’d ask :slight_smile:

1 Like

FYI, base cargo on a probe is 400m3, but as you mention the venture (as a starting point) is the goto ship, it has a 5000m3 ore hold (which also is able to hold gas). IIRC the sites in low-sec & low-class WHs will fit in a venture (i.e. totals 4500-5000m3 of gas in a site).

Do they still hand out ventures as a starter ship through the tutorials? If OP has one it could be worth the time to switch ships (depending on distances being covered) and take down a gas site, as the isk would keep you in probes & ventures for a while (just keep an eye on local & dscan while you gas mine).

Something like:

Venture Fit

[Venture, Venture fit]

Warp Core Stabilizer I

5MN Y-T8 Compact Microwarpdrive
Burst Jammer I
Kapteyn Compact Sensor Dampener, Scan Resolution Dampening Script

Gas Cloud Harvester I
Prototype Cloaking Device I
Gas Cloud Harvester I

[Empty Rig slot]
[Empty Rig slot]
[Empty Rig slot]

Hornet EC-300 x2

You could do without the cloak if not venturing into wormholes for gas, making it cheaper.

Edit: If you can’t use the drones yet don’t worry about them, not helpful for getting gas.

Regards,
Cypr3ss.

3 Likes

Thanks Cypr3ss … yes they do hand out Ventures … in fact I had two … but I sold them as I thought I would not be going that route … oh well

I wouldn’t put a warp core stab on it, if anything go for better agility.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.