Hi-Sec DED

Good morning, everyone!

So, I’m returning to the game soon and am starting to think of what I’d like to do to earn some ISK. My alt currently has semi-okay trading skills, though I have NO idea how to make ISK off trading (buy low, sell high, I know).

My main currently has 73m SP and while she’s in a corporation, I’ve been away so long that I plan on handling my ISK making solo.

I was thinking of trying Hi-Sec DED sites. I know that it’s essentially playing scratchers for cash, but I like the idea of hitting a potentially big pay off. My primary question when it comes to DED sites is what would you guys recommend for a ship? I use to live in wormholes so I have solid scanning skills. Should I be rolling around in a Svipul? Should I say screw the CPU reduction and fly a Gila with my Cruiser skills at 5 and near perfect drone skills?

While I plan on starting in Hi-Sec, I’m not scared of PVP and will eventually be traveling to Low Sec to complete some sites there as well (including escalations).

Any thoughts on this? I’m returning after close to a year away so any direction would be amazing.

Love you dudes.

1 Like

DED sites are a major source of income, especially in low and nullsec. It’s never a bad plan, especially because it breaks up the tedium of repetitive combat or scanning by mixing the two.

If you have great scanning skills and a ship with a utility high, you can go ahead and fit a probe scanner and roll around scanning in the same ship you’ll do combat in. The only problem there is that you’ll have to have specific sites in mind that you’re looking to farm since the sites vary in their size restrictions. It’s hard to make recommendations for a ship until you specify what level of site you’re intending to farm.

Otherwise, you can take a scanning frigate and bookmark all the sites you find in the surrounding area, then switch into the appropriate ships to run each of them. The only problem with this strategy in hi-sec is that there is a chance others will get to the sites before you while you run around switching ships. If you have a second account, you could send them scanning while your main stays in station waiting to see what ship to bring, then you just warp to your fleeted alt at the entrance to the site (and, if you’re really good at multitasking, you can have them scanning the next system while you shoot down rats in the site).

Personally I prefer the first method, even if it means I miss some sites. The second method is just too much of a hassle for me.

2 Likes

For high sec I really like a Confessor. I think it looks something like this; tinker as you see fit:

[Confessor, test]

Coreli B-Type Small Armor Repairer
Heat Sink II
Heat Sink II
Heat Sink II
Centii C-Type Adaptive Nano Plating

5MN Microwarpdrive II
Tracking Computer II
Dark Blood Cap Recharger

Small Focused Beam Laser II, Imperial Navy Ultraviolet S
Sisters Core Probe Launcher, Sisters Core Scanner Probe
[Empty High slot]

Small Hyperspatial Velocity Optimizer II
Small Capacitor Control Circuit II

Salient points are range, damage, and warp speed.

A similar Svipul should work; something like this:

[Svipul, test]

Republic Fleet Gyrostabilizer
Gyrostabilizer II
Gyrostabilizer II
Tracking Enhancer II

5MN Microwarpdrive II
Pithi A-Type Small Shield Booster
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Cap Recharger II

280mm Howitzer Artillery II, Republic Fleet Phased Plasma S
Sisters Core Probe Launcher, Sisters Core Scanner Probe
[Empty High slot]

Small Semiconductor Memory Cell II

Either way, they should be able to clear 2-4/10s without much trouble.

For low, T3Cs obviously become better choices.

Gila/Stratios certainly work as well if you wanted to go that route.

4 Likes

Thanks for the reply! You made some great points and honestly I don’t think I want to go higher than 5/10. Ship size is the hardest part for me. While I can fly a dank Tengu and Legion, I’d hate to lock myself out of DED 1-4s. I can fly a really strong Gila so I can do 3-5s but it wouldn’t be as tanky as a Tengu.

Would you recommend which to start with knowing I’ll be targeting DED 3-5s?

1 Like

Gila’s a solid option if you want to access as many mid-tier sites as possible.

3 Likes

For running scannable combat sites in High Sec, I like AB shield tank Worm.
It handles any unrated or DED sites that you can scan down in Gurista space without problems. Frigate warp speed is nice when you are moving around looking for sites.
Not sure about the other pirate faction areas, except I know from experience that you want to stay away from Angrel Vigils, because the two webbing towers that spawn additional waveswhen you blow them up kill your speed tanking ability.

1 Like

for this one you can go away from pat shipyard, attack it once to trigger pat, and if you are fast enough only him will reach you.

1 Like

Id reccomend different ships for high and low sec.
Cruiser can do absolute majority of high (AF will allow you couple more on low end)
In low id go with BC/T3C as that allows you to do everything 4/10+. T3C obviously does that faster and much easier but… everything dies :slight_smile:
Ofc feel free to upgrade your ships as your funds allow.
And do the expeditions, they often drop craploads in faction stuff, expensive faction stuff :sunny:

1 Like

Tengu is overkill tank for highsec sites. You can realistically do most 4/10s in a caracal, so how much extra tank and dps you want to bring is up to you, but that’s a good baseline.

1 Like

I used to run a standard gila in hisec DED 3/4/5 sites and it worked delightfully.

1 Like

i am curious about ded sites and after reading this thread id have to ask, are these scannable sites? im under the impression combat sites in high sec automatically appear.

is there certain ones that escalate? and if they do escalate are those sites scanable by other players? maybe i should make another thread on this but just some thoughts that came to mind while i was reading this thread

1 Like

So there are a number of different types of combat sites. What you’re referring to, the ones that appear on the Probe Scanner without the need for scanning, are Combat Anomalies. Low-ranking hisec anomalies aren’t that valuable, except for the occasional “commander” NPC spawn or the occasional escalation (covered later).

There are several types of combat sites, however, that cannot be located without scanning. These are “Combat Signatures”. The first kind is the “unrated complex”. It’s a PvE deadspace pocket. Clearing these sometimes nets you an “expedition”, which is a series of combat sites that show up in your Journal that occasionally drop some faction loot in the final site of the chain. The “Blue Pill” expedition is an example, and you can get it by seeking out and running unrated Angel Hideout signatures.

The second kind is the DED-rated complexes. Again, these are PvE deadspace pockets. You can find them by scanning, but they also occasionally appear as an “escalation” while you’re running combat anomalies (sort of like expeditions). For example, running Guristas Hideaways and Refuges can occasionally provide you an escalation to a DED 4/10-rated Guristas Scout Outpost. The sites themselves are not that valuable, but certain NPCs or structures in these sites, when destroyed, have a chance to drop valuable faction loot. Like, 200-400 mil kind of loot.

Outside of hisec, you also have Sleeper combat sites, Beseiged Covert Research Facilities, and Chemical Lab sites. All of these are Combat Signatures (though Chemical Labs apparently show up as Gas Sites) that must be scanned down.

Worth a read: https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Combat_sites

1 Like

the anomalies can escalate to ded/unrated sites.
The unrated are most of the time a waste of this time.

not allowed through gate.

1 Like

It was a reply to another comment. Train one more level of reading comprehension before getting involved in threads.

1 Like

“high sec ded” -“tengu”.
Those two words can’t go together. Deal with it your comment was useless.

2 Likes

Astero / Worm and Gila / Stratios. 5/10 and above t3c.

1 Like

You’re always going to be better off in low or null sec (or W-Space) for rewards. Don’t fart around high sec waiting for ‘the right skills’ or ‘the right time’ because it’ll never happen. Just make the move and begin bringing in real isk. Stay cheap on your ships at first, expect to lose some- but you should make enough isk to easily cover losses.
Especially if you join a good alliance. That’s critical. Find people doing what you want to do and jump in. If your current corp isn’t doing that content…steal everything out of the corp wallet and move on (wink).
Large sov alliances have dedicated DeD runners. People sell 10/10 escalations in alliance chat all the time. You can sell loot directly to the alliance rather than have to move it yourself. There are intel channels. You might even qualify for some level of SRP. Basically, there are huge benefits to joining one of the name brand sov alliances. I know in GSF there is a whole group of wormholers. So whatever your fancy…you can find it in the big alliances.

1 Like

Hi sec DED sites suck, unless you get an escalation into low sec. You are far better off running L4s and doing events for booster farming, etc.

There is also the option of L4 burner farming. Those are actually good income once you learn them but the learning process can get very expansive. Many people opt to do it on the test server then come back and do it on live. You will need perfect frigate skills + frig weapons and tank for that though on at least 2 factions. See various threads on the subject of Burner Missions.

For your original question, Gila is an awesome ship for the purpose, but you will have to scan in something else because without the scan bonusses there are actually some sites you won’t be able to pick up, or the process will take you a very long time to the point where its completely not worth it. T3Cs can’t enter the lower sites necessary to get the escalations. You can scan and run the low end sites in a T3D then switch up to the Gila for 5/10+ when you get an expedition.

If you don’t wanna switch, just quickly refit a couple modules, then go with a Stratios. You’ll have a bit less DPS then a T3C or a faction cruiser, but you can comfortably solo up to 7/10 in it, higher, but then it becomes a PITA. You will need to watch drone agro and face tank a lot using AB transversal + sig tanking on top of at least mission specific resits, don’t let your drones go long range because if they pick up agro and it takes them long time to get back to you, you will lose too many.

1 Like

i run 5/10 sites in gila quite easily, can do 6/10 but need to warp an alt in to break the final rat’s tank

1 Like

Which 6 is giving you trouble in a Gila? Unless it’s Serpentis you should be able to fit around it. Sansha might require a damage refit but otherwise you really oughtn’t have a problem.

1 Like