High sec orca fit - solo / boosting strangers

Well following on from my other thread, I’m desperately searching for a way to put my mining SP to use on a casual basis whilst I’m locked in for the next few weeks. Before abandoning mining altogether I wonder about trying the orca (apparently I set all my boosting/command ship skills in training before I quit last time).

So I seek a little advice - would prefer to avoid making silly mistakes. Would THIS FIT work for high sec soloing and boosting anyone who cares to fleet up with me?

TIA - excuse all the pleas for basic help.

Looks ok to me. Been a while since I flew mine, think I had a couple of shield extenders & adaptive 2’s iirc.

1 Like

3 bursts only.
Then you should use ancil RR.
and a compact 500mn.
Then use mining drone augmenter as rigs.
Also tractor is meh, use a auto targeting to have more targets (don’t activate it).

in cargo : MTU, depot, charges

1 Like

Thanks!

I second the auto-target, forgot that, more roids in the chain (up to 10 iirc).

1 Like

alos if you can’t fit the 500mn (tight onpwr), with decayed mutaplasmid you have a chance over 36 to have a good fit bonus, and with gravid it’s one over 9. anything else is useless, only fitting stats matter.

a randomfit in my assets
[Orca, Simulated Orca Fitting]
Damage Control II
Reactor Control Unit II

500MN Y-T8 Compact Microwarpdrive
Caldari Navy EM Ward Field
Dread Guristas Thermal Dissipation Field
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II

Shield Command Burst II
Shield Command Burst II
Mining Foreman Burst II
Large Ancillary Remote Shield Booster
Small Tractor Beam II
Auto Targeting System I

Large Drone Mining Augmentor II
Large Drone Mining Augmentor I

Federation Navy Hobgoblin x10
Mining Drone II x5
Ice Harvesting Drone II x1
Federation Navy Hammerhead x5
'Augmented' Mining Drone x5

Hemorphite Mining Crystal I x2
Kernite Mining Crystal I x1
Shield Harmonizing Charge x3631
Shield Extension Charge x3630
Plagioclase Mining Crystal I x2
Pyroxeres Mining Crystal I x2
Scordite Mining Crystal I x2
Veldspar Mining Crystal I x2
Plagioclase Mining Crystal II x2
Kernite Mining Crystal II x2
Pyroxeres Mining Crystal II x2
Crokite Mining Crystal I x2
Mining Laser Optimization Charge x2534
Dark Ochre Mining Crystal I x2
Navy Cap Booster 200 x55
Mining Laser Upgrade II x5
Modulated Strip Miner II x2
Ice Harvester Upgrade II x3
Gas Cloud Harvester II x2

all the things in the hangar, are for people whom you mine with.

1 Like

What is a good benchmark to aim for when it comes to EHP in high sec to ward against gankers? The difference between the fit I linked to and the one that Anderson Geten kindly suggested is 496k and 309k. Does 496k provide any value or is there a threshold above which doesn’t really matter?

TY!

Depends on your point of view really. I’ve mostly used an orca as a booster for corp fleets. For solo mining I’ve always used a barge/exhumer for better yield, so for a booster where yield is not that important I’ve always tanked it to the max. But it’s personal preference.

1 Like

IMHO - Defense is way overkill for highsec. I mine in 0.5 all the time and no gankers even try.
Me: One mining and shield burst only. add salvager for when you kill belt rats
Use low slots to help you target and/or turn faster
Use rig slots to help mining drones mine faster
Add MWD to help you get up to speed quickly for warp and one shield booster to mids

Be careful how you add up the numbers. Don’t forget that the Shield Command also works on your orca. It is only the mining burst that gives you no direct benefit. If you only fit one shield + one mining burst you will be able to fit a bulkhead in low instead of the reactor. That combination should give you close to 350+ k EHP. Plus, the point of the MWD is you can hit warp in about 12 sec. If you cannot survive under those conditions, then I doubt that the extra 150 k EHP you had will help, especially as that fit will have you in warp in about 48 secs?

You lack skills, or the ore mindfuck, cause I have 345k ehp on that fit.
The question is : when does it become interesting to kill that orca ? The fit is estimated 1b2, with 900M from the orca and rigs. so 300M worth of loot.

But of course, you can drop the RR and replace the low with bulkhead, or power diag. the RR is because, you won’t be targeted bt gankers . so you may consider helping your friends instead. but it’s up to you.

This is a fit I went for recently, it will be a booster for another pilot in a Skiff but have the ability to mine itself. I debated on the Mining Drone Augmentor and in hindsight should have maybe added at least one but decided to go for tank over yield. I couldn’t fit a 500mn without having to get a hefty PG Implant, I may carry one in the hold though with a depot and offline some stuff if I need it.

PYFA shows an EHP of 506k on this

[Orca, Orca]

Damage Control II
Reinforced Bulkheads II

Kinetic Deflection Field II
EM Ward Field II
100MN Afterburner II
Thermal Dissipation Field II

Shield Command Burst I
Small Tractor Beam II
Small Tractor Beam II
Mining Foreman Burst II
Mining Foreman Burst II
Pithum C-Type Medium Remote Shield Booster

Large Transverse Bulkhead II

Acolyte II x5
Hobgoblin II x5
Hornet II x5
Infiltrator II x5
Medium Shield Maintenance Bot I x5
Mining Drone II x5

Mining Laser Field Enhancement Charge x3301
Mining Laser Optimization Charge x3301
Shield Extension Charge x3301
1 Like

I think perhaps I’m missing a level 5 somewhere but yeah taking into account the shield command benefiting me too, I can get 325k out of this amended one which gives me 23m3/s on the drones and nice boosts for my friends. Hopefully a decent balance.

Tweaked for me

[Orca, Orca]
Damage Control II
Reactor Control Unit II

500MN Y-T8 Compact Microwarpdrive
Caldari Navy EM Ward Field
Dread Guristas Thermal Dissipation Field

Mining Foreman Burst II
Mining Foreman Burst II
Shield Command Burst II
Large Ancillary Remote Shield Booster
Small Tractor Beam I
Auto Targeting System I

Large Drone Mining Augmentor I

Federation Navy Hobgoblin x10
Federation Navy Hammerhead x5
Mining Drone II x5
‘Augmented’ Mining Drone x5

Shield Extension Charge x300
Mining Laser Field Enhancement Charge x300
Mining Laser Optimization Charge x300
Cap Booster 200 x5

Thanks for all the input, it’s a big help.

What’s the value ?
I got -40.4%

Imgur

I myself am intrested in boosting strangers with my Orca. But what about those new filaments. Won’t they be able to warp your orca to null sec? ( Never used the filaments myself )

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.