Orca - High-Sec Fit for Mining Operations

As the title says, can you recommend a high sec fit for the Orca?

1 Like

The Orca is a very versatile ship and the fit will vary depending how you intend to use it. Will you be mining solo or boosting a fleet?

Boosting a fleet, but if you have solo fit as well that would be great!

using 3 specialized deadspace shield hardeners , 2 pth c-type invul in mids
shield command *2 in high, one mining command.
faction dc and bulkhea in low
shield extenders in rigs

I can reach 1M2 ehp ol

1 Like

This setup is for highsec boosting and defense. The assumption is that CONCORD will help with the defense and you’ll have time to reload your ancillary boosters between waves.

My character has level 4 mastery for the Orca and Industrial Command ship 5. There isn’t a lot of CPU left but you can substitute faction or meta modules if needed.

[Orca, Orca fit]

Damage Control II
Drone Damage Amplifier II

Large Ancillary Shield Booster, Navy Cap Booster 150
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
EM Ward Field II
Thermal Dissipation Field II
100MN Y-S8 Compact Afterburner

Mining Foreman Burst II, Mining Laser Field Enhancement Charge
Mining Foreman Burst II, Mining Laser Optimization Charge
Shield Command Burst II, Active Shielding Charge
Shield Command Burst II, Shield Harmonizing Charge
Large Ancillary Remote Shield Booster, Navy Cap Booster 150
Small Tractor Beam I

Large Command Processor I
Large Core Defense Field Extender II

Hammerhead II x5

Shield recharge is 430 EHP/S with command bursts and the ancillary booster running. The Hammerheads provide 562 DPS firepower.

The ASB is a bit pointless for Ganks, The longest a Gank will go on for more than 10-20 seconds, That means that you will not even burn through your first clip before its over. With everything heated the active tank is ~700

700x20 = 14K + 403K = 417K EHP

The same fit with the ASB removed and a second Invul/Extender Rig added has 544K EHP with heat. So you are down 120K EHP and have a harder time fitting it (the fit has 50 CPU spare 270PWG left). Hell even with no Heat the fit has 453K so you can go AFK and still have more tank that the ASB fit with the pilot being on the ball and heating everything straight away.

Also the DDA is not really very useful, not like you are going to kill many gankers given that your lock time on a Dessie is 16 seconds. Fit a Bulk Head for an extra ~30k EHP.

I would go for something like this , 419K Cold, 471K Heated has good mining drones (Get T1 Mining Rigs to save ISK).

[Orca, Orca fit]

Damage Control II
Reinforced Bulkheads II

EM Ward Field II
Domination Thermal Dissipation Amplifier
100MN Y-S8 Compact Afterburner

Mining Foreman Burst II, Mining Laser Field Enhancement Charge
Mining Foreman Burst II, Mining Laser Optimization Charge
Shield Command Burst II, Shield Harmonizing Charge
Shield Command Burst II, Shield Extension Charge
Large Ancillary Remote Shield Booster, Navy Cap Booster 150
Small Tractor Beam I

Large Drone Mining Augmentor II
Large Drone Mining Augmentor II

Hammerhead II x5

So… 3x the ehp, but 30-50x more profitable to gank? Well at least it’ll take a larger ganker group than usual.

The question is not how many times you increase HP or cost, but how many more isk you can travel with and still be un-profitable.

with non-expensive fit I can get 600k ehp. That means that vs nades, if you consider 1B items requires 100k ehp to be un-profitable, I can hold 6B and will most likely not get ganked by canes

With expensive fit, I can reach 1M2 ehp (actually up to 1M3), that means I can have 12B isk in equip/cargo and most likely won’t get ganked by nades. considering the stuff costs less than 2B (invul and DC are the most expensive, reaching 300M each I think) it still gives a 10B cargo capacity.

for another ganking ship it is different.
eg check
https://zkillboard.com/related/30001384/201708182300/
the involved ganking ship is a catalyst, which costs 5.5M after looting the wreck and dishes 620 DPS * 26s = 16k hp damage before concord kills it.
so 100k ehp requires 6.2 of those ships to break , that is 34M is getting lost for attacker.
it then makes un profitable ganking a 68M-cargo.
of course with that setup, a 1B2 ehp orca with 2B drop is already profitable (it only costs 410M worth ships for attacker to kill it in .5 after concord fore spawn on a station). still it requires 75 catalysts on the grid.

Reading that battlereport - Orca fit is terrible at least.
I wouldn’t dare take a ship out of station or Citadel with such a fit unless I’m moving the ship from A to B with a clear path.
I wonder what EHP that fit would give.

@Do_Little- You got a mining orca fit? Been thinking about doing it for afk activity. Not really sure what type of isk/hour I can achieve with trit ?