High Sec Struggles for the NewBro

Warning Long Post…

First thing to get out of the way. I am a High Sec NewBro. There I said it. For me (I can’t say for others) High Sec is a means to an end. I want to go to Null. While solo PVP is not my “thing” fleet PVP is something I want to do. In order to get to that end on my terms and be of any value to a null sec corp, I need to be skilled in both the game mechanics and actual skill points so I can fly ships and be of piratical use. I need a healthy wallet. Let’s face is being “space broke” sucks and showing up in null as a burden and not as an asset for my new null family would be a less than optimal situation for everyone.

So how does a newbro get skills and isk starting out.? HighSec. Pure and simple. I tried mining; it sucks. Missions, grind, grind, grind for welfare level isk. Station trading, now that did make some gross isk for me but it’s not my style to .01 all day in station. What to do?

I got lucky, a newbro corp reached out and invited me to join them. One of the game changers for me was the Emerging Conduit. I could run this content with others and make some decent ISK. I did not have a optimal fit ship, I had a Vexor. But in fleet with others and some logi, we newbros could grow. It was a motivator to get more skills to be able to do more content. I was able to afford a newbro battleship to run incursions, was able to purchase a Gila and do T3 missions, run abyssal sites and acquire isk to buy skill injectors to move into Tech 2 Logi for incursions.

Yes finally I am getting somewhere at a good pace, until today. The ECs are nerfed. I hear rumors that incursions will be nerfed. I must confess that I am disappointed. It was a good source for me and most of my corp mates to fuel our character growth in HighSec (and we all know there are no real ISK making opportunities there that are consistant). I can tell you that with my corp there are over 1000 members, and I would say over 80% have no plans on leaving hisec. They want to PVE, and only PVE. Can’t say I agree or disagree but there is a large customer base in HighSec that now has a huge dissatisfier to deal with. I know a great many people despise HighSec but at the end of the day playing in HiSec is economically hard to do, why make it harder for those that choose to stay? Why make the transition to low or null longer and more discouraging for those that want to make the move?

The only lesson that matters here is that rational people respond to incentives. If HighSec gets nerfed into the dust there is no incentive to stay and play. I expect a good percentage of Newbros will leave the game and that can’t be a good thing for everyone.

3 Likes

Really? You must have pretty high expectations. You can make pretty decent ISK doing level 4 missions. If that’s just a stepping stone for you to get somewhere else, it’s not even a long term grind.

Excuse me, my 6 month hiatus may have put me a bit out of the loop in terms of income…

But if you can fly a halfway decent Gila, you can easily do T3 filaments which should get you to a similar income bracket as level 4 missions or nullsec subcap ratting - something in the 40 million ISK / hour ballpark. Conservative estimate.

And you can do this anywhere, anytime, in nice 15-20 minute bites and in perfect safety if you do it smartly.

So what exactly was your problem again?

Then go to null.

“Piratical use” lol.

But who told you this? Aside from a few niches, you can be of use from Day 1 in this game. There are (usually) no caps on group/fleet size for most content/activities so why would anyone not want you to tag along, even if it is in some T1 ship?

ISK isn’t going to make you a better player, nor make groups want to take you. Set ISK as your goal if you want, and I agree, it sucks to be poor and it’s great to be rich, but don’t use that as an excuse to not do want you want to in this game. There always will be some reason you can find why you are “not ready” and you will never leave highsec, or at least not before you quit from boredom/despair.

Besides, grinding PvE isn’t going to get you space rich. Well, not unless you have dozens of hours of free time per week and a high tolerance for tedium.

Highsec isn’t for those that want to “transition” {snicker}. It’s for those that are not comfortable playing without the safety net of CONCORD shaping their interactions with other players. Showering highsec players with easy wealth, more than available elsewhere isn’t going to get people to leave. In fact, it draws people back from outside highsec to farm and asphyxiates the activity in the higher risk/higher reward areas of the game. Why risk yourself in dangerous space when the best pay is in highsec, under the watchful eye of CONCORD?

Play in highsec if you want. It is a great place for those that want to do their own thing, or perhaps prefer easy-to-beat NPCs as their primary opponents. But don’t expect it to be the best paying sector of space, not when you really don’t have to worry about losses.

That’s kinda the point. Take this as the kind hint it is from CCP, and spread your wings some. There are riches out there, even for the mostly solo highsec player who day-trip into dangerous space to harvest the valuable things.

New players aren’t going to leave the game because their ISK/h is below some arbitrary threshold. Or at least, not the ones that have any hope of doing anything beyond a few weeks of PvE before getting bored and quitting.

TL;DR Stop listing to your “leaders”, doubting your abilities and just go do what you want in New Eden.

P.S. I do enjoy the extra energy your corp has been injecting into the forums however! Keep the brigade up!

3 Likes

More like warning SALT post, lmao
Cry some more dear, my popcorn needs some more salt

I see you @Sabus_Narian!

In reply to the post. No one expects new bros to fly expensive and skill intensive fits. Not even null sec groups. And it’s actually a good thing for new players that things take time.

There are plenty of groups out there, in null, in low and in hi-sec that take on new bros, provide free ships and fitting advice. And whilst the new bros skill tree is training and their wallet growing they can take the time to join noob fleets, ask questions and learn how the game works.

Meanwhile, if new players get great income with no risk in hi-sec (like with EC’s), why would they move else where? They won’t. They’ll get stuck doing the same thing again and again and get bored and leave.

Nice try though. But more people are going to try more content and talk to more players if they aren’t handed the best possible content out the box.

4 Likes

Make the next logical step…LowSec…more ISK and more risk (but it’s actually pretty quiet/safe)

Leve 1, level 2 and for most of level is pretty awful. Let me ask you this, define pretty decent.

Now making forum alts to pretend to not be sabus fkn narian?

It’s as bad as the spamming of alpha clones to mass-mail everyone that recruitment bollocks mail you pester people with.

Stunning.

1 Like

So how does a newbro get skills and isk starting out.? HighSec. Pure and simple. I tried mining; it sucks. Missions, grind, grind, grind for welfare level isk. Station trading, now that did make some gross isk for me but it’s not my style to .01 all day in station. What to do?

Agreed, most bittervets want you joining nullsec and being a good little slave to do all their pvp fleets and farming, so they want highsec nerfed to the ground so you go to the plantation willingly. For new players the only good thing that needs little skills is EC, and that is now nerfed to the ground.

I got lucky, a newbro corp reached out and invited me to join them. One of the game changers for me was the Emerging Conduit. I could run this content with others and make some decent ISK. I did not have a optimal fit ship, I had a Vexor. But in fleet with others and some logi, we newbros could grow. It was a motivator to get more skills to be able to do more content. I was able to afford a newbro battleship to run incursions, was able to purchase a Gila and do T3 missions, run abyssal sites and acquire isk to buy skill injectors to move into Tech 2 Logi for incursions.

A perfect progression I might add.

Yes finally I am getting somewhere at a good pace, until today. The ECs are nerfed. I hear rumors that incursions will be nerfed. I must confess that I am disappointed. It was a good source for me and most of my corp mates to fuel our character growth in HighSec (and we all know there are no real ISK making opportunities there that are consistant). I can tell you that with my corp there are over 1000 members, and I would say over 80% have no plans on leaving hisec.

Don’t forget the bittervets think that all those thousands of players should leave the game because they ‘do not belong’ in EVE. Makes you think if they have CCP’s best interest in mind as they argue to damage their game.

They want to PVE, and only PVE.

People need to understand this!

I know a great many people despise HighSec but at the end of the day playing in HiSec is economically hard to do, why make it harder for those that choose to stay? Why make the transition to low or null longer and more discouraging for those that want to make the move?

I think its because they want people to move to low/null/wormholes immediately, to give them kills and people to take advantage of, a newbie who stays in highsec can grow by himself, without needed to beg to stay in a big nullsec corp. That can’t fly for those people.

The only lesson that matters here is that rational people respond to incentives. If HighSec gets nerfed into the dust there is no incentive to stay and play. I expect a good percentage of Newbros will leave the game and that can’t be a good thing for everyone.

Agreed 100%. Thank you for your post Pyter, and enjoy the bittervets who will be crying down below :slight_smile:

1 Like

Of course, level 1 and 2 stink, but when I started Eve, that was less than a week’s time, and I was already in level 3s. Don’t remember how long to get to level 4s, but it wasn’t long. If you’re not even to level 4s yet, you still need to take a breath, and work on some basic skills and learning the game.

As to defining decent, I PLEX my account, doing 2-3 missions a day. That’s with ~14M SP now (so, less than 11M when I started doing this), and flying a plain old Raven, so not even a fancy, expensive, blingy ship.

Lol Daichi thinks everyone is me, don’t forget I’m actually everyone, even ccp itself!

There are plenty of groups out there, in null, in low and in hi-sec that take on new bros, provide free ships and fitting advice. And whilst the new bros skill tree is training and their wallet growing they can take the time to join noob fleets, ask questions and learn how the game works.

No freedom of speech, slave labor, mocking, and lots of other stuff as well, I wonder how a newbie will fair in such a corp if he just wants to make isk and not participate in mandatory fleets or obey command because he doesn’t feel like it.

Meanwhile, if new players get great income with no risk in hi-sec (like with EC’s), why would they move else where? They won’t.

Good, they enjoy the game without being bossed around by big bully factions.

They’ll get stuck doing the same thing again and again and get bored and leave.

Not if CCP makes highsec fun.

Remember that L1/L2 are more for training. L3 is where it starts to get interesting(sic). I run L4 hauler missions and as it’s all in LS, usually about 4-5 jumps, it get’s pretty interesting. The LP pay is pretty good too, earning about apx 5000LP every 10 minutes. All done in a cheap 3M ship (if I recall correctly)

Your clearly raging, you sure your not gonna get a hernia at this rate? (He’s everyone OMG SABUS ALT ALT ALT ALT)

It’s as bad as the spamming of alpha clones to mass-mail everyone that recruitment bollocks mail you pester people with.

Better they find a good corp than a trash nullsec one, but clearly you don’t like that lol

Of course, level 1 and 2 stink, but when I started Eve, that was less than a week’s time, and I was already in level 3s. Don’t remember how long to get to level 4s, but it wasn’t long. If you’re not even to level 4s yet, you still need to take a breath, and work on some basic skills and learning the game.

A caveat that many don’t realize is alphas can’t do lv4. So while they could slowly make isk and upgrade their toon until they can pay for omega, now they are limited to lv3.

As to defining decent, I PLEX my account, doing 2-3 missions a day. That’s with ~14M SP now (so, less than 11M when I started doing this), and flying a plain old Raven, so not even a fancy, expensive, blingy ship.

Problem is can’t do lv4 if not omega, and can’t plex without lv4. Means you really only have incursions now, and that’s harder to get into than EC sites.

Which corp are you talking about?

The OP says he wants to goto null. He just doesn’t realise it’s common to go out there with nothing and the other players will support him.

Mind sharing your setup, so that the newbies who now don’t have EC can copy you?

Yeah totally agree. I actually found I could make a bloody good income smashing out lvl 3s in a T1 fit Gnosis doing around 30-40 mil/hour (mainly loot/salvage ofc) after about 4 weeks (no injectors by that point either).

Ngl, I’m not entirely sure why the dude is so hell-bent on all this crying over the EC thing. Honestly, don’t get it.

Which corp are you talking about?

The OP says he wants to goto null. He just doesn’t realise it’s common to go out there with nothing and the other players will support him.

He want’s to level up first and be ready until he goes to null, the space he lives in now was nerfed and it is harder for him. As for corp most nullsec corps, tell off an FC if you don’t wanna go to a CTA and you get kicked, “just go to null” does not work.

Yeah totally agree. I actually found I could make a bloody good income smashing out lvl 3s in a T1 fit Gnosis doing around 30-40 mil/hour (mainly loot/salvage ofc) after about 4 weeks (no injectors by that point either).

Ngl, I’m not entirely sure why the dude is so hell-bent on all this crying over the EC thing. Honestly, don’t get it.

EC make more isk than 30-40m an hour, I suspect that’s part of why the OP and so many others are frustrated.