How controlled is the EVE market?

As a new player as I search through the markets for things to buy, I often think if there are alliances that have complete control over blueprints and manufacturing? I guess my question is how much of the market are big Sellers with deep pockets and high skills points and how much of the market are small solo sellers? Anyone have a feeling on this topic?

Skill points don’t really matter beyond just the number of slots.
Though even then, most of the wealthiest players don’t use 'em all up.

Most people dabble in the market and don’t actually “specialize” on anything. They use third party tools to scan the market for items that have good margins, and they shuffle around, keeping pace as the market ebbs and flows.

The most successful players stay away from the 0.01 isk game, since you’re literally wasting 5 minutes of your life struggling over 0.01 isk gains. Your life is better spent on other things.

As for control, it’s not as bad as it used to be with Tech moons. However, it’s still pretty possible for individuals or alliances to make waves in the market.

No single entity in the game has “complete control” over blueprints or manufacturing. All Tech 1 BPOs can be acquired in some fashion or another from NPCs and even you can jump straight into that with minimal skills. And Invention has made Tech 2 BPOs nothing more than just a collector’s item.

The actual difference comes in your skill as a player. Building connections, making partners, finding ways of acquiring goods that other people struggle with, etc. You can’t inject SP into that kind of skill.

6 Likes

The richest players in the past indeed played the 1isk game they however used bots to do so. The richest players in EVE are commonly no different or smarter than your average mid wealth player, they’ve over the years just automated the easily scaled up content in eve &/or put ungodly effort into these scalable gains. It’s a fairly brain dead endevour which CCP encouraged in the past.

There are true exceptions of players who have not simply found a grind & massively scaled it up with automation or multi boxing. The game is old and these exceptions are harder to find as most exciting new avenues have been tapped dry or capped off by CCP game changes.

You’ll find many space rich players enjoy finding these margin gains despite their rarity with each further patch. But you’ll also find people multiboxing 20 Rorqs or 300 exhumers, yawn.

20 rorqs in goons + 20 in pandemic + 20 in test + …

Hi, I assume that ‘bots’ are verboten - as the should be I feel. However, what about a ‘real’ player who runs scripts to place buy orders automatically based on the ‘average’ price ( given by Eve ) when a FDbP places it on the market at that known price? This can be seen (time and time again) when small items, particularly Salvage, are ‘bought’ immediately the offer for sale is made. Hell, I wish I was that sharp! Must get me a script.
PS I don’t mind as I sell my stuff quick, quick as long as I don’t be greedy.

Yeah market scripts are kind of hazy ground if you do the scripting out of game. You can run the script in a spreadsheet out of game then manually ctrl copy it down your eve market orders sorted alphabetically. So the only command in eve is down line enter, paste enter, repeat. While the out of game spreadsheet/database is fully automated pulling in game data through esi & providing pastable market orders when beaten.

That would be legal in game terms but obviously so close to botting in game that it is out of spirit of the game, people still do & the biggest market tools by subscription have a near close to resemblance to this system.

I expect CCP will pull the plug on a lot of TQ esi soon as they’ve done to SISI ESI. Meaning an end to this game legal botting. Market botting will still continue they will just pull through the client but this will be against the rules.

This sort of marketing is brainless imho but you will get uber rich fast doing so. It’s the market equivalent of botting/multi boxing. You’re no better at anything than anyone else you’ve just stupidly scaled it.

Market bots irl serve purpose & are allowed/prohibited in exchanges when/where their effects are desired or not.

I don’t understand your post. Why would I want to buy an item at an “average” price when I can buy it much cheaper on my buy orders? And who places items on the market at an “average” price, when they can get more for it?

1 Like

I have been experimenting with selling salvaged/looted goods from missions. These things don’t really cost me ISK and I am trying to ‘play’ the game in a way whereby my personal greed is not a factor in determining my selling price - help my fellow man (Ha, ha.) I use the ‘suggested’ price when possible. Apparently, it is the Regional average???
That is when I noticed the script bunnies as almost any salvage goods would be INSTANTLY snapped up by a ‘suspicious’ group of buyers.
I still do it, of course, because I can and want to play that way - that’s a good reason, CistaCista. Hope this clears it all up.
Voets
p.s. The purchasers might, in fact, not be ‘scripters’ but just normal traders who place buy orders at the ‘correct’ price and have scope to the station.

It is interesting to see that actually not a single fellow pilot here has answered your actual question.
So i will throw my 2 cents in here as you asked how much of the market:

The plex market is pretty much controlled by 2 entities in game currently. One is a pretty rich player, the other is a joint venture of TEST-Pandemic Horde.
As of high volume, high value items you can easily figure that out by simply buying and selling once in a while and taking note of your wallet transactions. Every single trader is listed there and as with everything in EVE you will see very quickly patterns of names. If you know where and how to look you will also quickly find out who is connected to which organisation (even if most try to not show any relation to an alliance etc they often fail doing so).
So in terms of your actual question the answer is: A very big part of the market is at least heavily influenced by big players and rich entities.

You’re missing another major party in that agreement.
Also, they don’t “control” the PLEX market itself, just the platform the orders are exchanged on.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.