How do I Convince my Friend to Play a 20 Year Old MMO?

When the doctor diagnosed me with teenitus, I thought I’d never be able to live a normal life. That I’d never finish college, or get a job, or be able to pick out wine tasting notes like all the adults. I was terrified that I’d sit in my room, drinking Mountain Dew Baja Blast and posting on 4chan all day forever. But now, after years of hard work and self-improvement, here I am! I didn’t even bother taking those pills they prescribed, because I wanted to beat this myself.

I just wish that I could hear what everyone else is saying…

1 Like

OMGGGGGG

Thankyou all for the well thoughtfull replies

After reading all of your comments,im more convince that Eve Online is unlike any other MMO outhere, and I cant apply the same principle in how majority of MMO are developed.

From how veteran players still have and need access to lower tier ships (this usually goes against majority of MMO outhere, where veteran player need to use high end gear)
And how theres so many activities that you can do in eve online, and as you said with only medium amount of SP you can already specialized into certain activities.

I also think that Eve Online endgame is different than any other MMO, when I play other MMO ive already predicted what the end game and the final purpose of the progression is going to be like.

I also feel like in majority of MMO all of the players are running towards the same One goal. Whereas in Eve all of the players are running towards their owned preferred goals. Some people goals would be joining large null sec alliance,and some would be just fine in running 10 man corporations capitalizing local markets. And I think that’s why majority of you doesn’t feel left out because we all have different goals :grinning:.

Thankyou all for the discussion, ill make sure to bookmark this forum :smiley:

6 Likes

Good job everyone. We actually answered some questions for a new player in a thread that featured both @DeMichael_Crimson and @Aiko_Danuja and he left feeling positive about eve. That’s probably a first.

5 Likes

:thinking: Well that is indeed a first, seeing my name linked with Aiko Danuja…

Anyway, not sure what I contributed to help this new player feel positive about Eve but for what it’s worth, I’m glad to hear it…

Joke

Buy him 2 year OMEGA sub.
That will works for sure.

3 Likes

There is nothing you can do, if the game doesn’t appeal to the player’s taste. I gifted a friend a free account to another game and they ended up playing it on Playstation instead of PC. I only wasted my money giving them the PC version. If they have no interest in science fiction economy driven PvP, there is really nothing you can do to alter their view. You know your friends better than we do. I would only recommend the game, tell them what might appeal to their taste in the game, and move along.

Cramming it down their throat never works out well either.

Show your friend the past of Eve Online and how it has progressed along the time line to 2023.

Gamers like a challenge + more and more levels to conquere. Gamers enjoy standing atop the castle tower, but not forever, as the call to challenge stirs the gamers blood for more adventure.

With Eve Online being similar to the classic game Gauntlet, or never ending levels, your friend will have more than enough challenge awaiting through the iron bound wooden doors. Just make certain that your friend doesn’t pull on any of the torches mounted on the walls within the first 100 feet of the dark and damp stone corridor in front of your friend.

So, there is one in place. But unless you know what you’re doing with it, I don’t recommend using it. The attribute remapping system can greatly increase how fast you by 13 to 23 percent if you know what you’re doing with the system. But you have to understand how the system works… and then use it effectively.

I actually did set up a skill plan for my wife when she started playing taking advantage of the two free remaps characters started with. However, I had a computer crash and the skill plan was lost and I have had no reason to reconstruct it. But it helped her get ahead of the curve. And while she doesn’t have access to as many ships as I do, she has access to ships that let her do whatever she wants at a high level of skill. Granted, she’s been playing for 3 years now so she’s added over 6 extra months of training time due to the remaps.

But this is also a system that CCP is planning on getting rid of at some point, according to CSM members. So who knows how much longer it will be around.

As for boosts for newbies: skill sprees and log-in rewards didn’t exist when I started playing. Those are boosts you get for free. And while they don’t matter much to veterans, they do help new players.

I would tell your friend that all skills cap at 5. So if someone pushes their training towards one specific ship, they can be equally good with that ship as someone who has been here since launch. I don’t recommend specializing that heavily into one ship, but you can do it.

2 Likes

Tell your friend to lay all of their cards onto the table and make the trip to MJ-5F9

I will say the game is MUCH better than it was in 2003 for a new player. I just went through new player progression. The Game GIVES you 5 frigates, a Venture, a Hauler, and a Destroyer. (In some cases more than one of these) and blue prints to build a Frigates, and a Destroyer.

This is through the Career Agents. Each has a minor story line and it teaches all the basic systems.

The game literally wants you to not be afraid of dying and has missions now that actually require you to get destroyed and pod killed.

You are oddly never pushed to insure your ship.

There is a lot for a new player… but the game, as someone that has played from time to time since 2003, still has a lot of the same issue it did 20 years ago.

For a new player the story lines just seem to end. You start with a story line that literally just kinda disappears. You are told to try career agents and once they are done there is no direction as to what to do next really. Beyond being told here is a menu find something to do.

Skill training is worse… and that is because you train fast and loose at the beginning… which means you are going to hit that same skills take 13 days to train very fast. I realize boosters are much more common. However the starter help to get all the skills you will need to train and the in game reward systems are much improved.

However it is CCP… the company that famously once went to a designer and said “it needs more phssst” and walked away.

The game still feels like it is managed by people that say stuff like that and that is the biggest issue. It feels like a 20 year old game but it also still tends to have an unpolished feeling… even though it has been published by the same company for the entire time.

Honestly the new player experience is better… and once they get through that and have a hanger full of frigates and a destroyer it is up to you to give them a good experience. As in the end CCP has never developed EvE to be a good game… it is a great world with players that make the game.

7 Likes

How do I Convince my Friend to Play a 20 Year Old MMO?”

Tell him it’s got Sex
Exotic Dancers

and Drugs
Blue Pill

and Rock’n’Roll:

If that don’t work, stick a fork in’im… he’s done, Jim.

3 Likes

Now you’re really getting it.

2 Likes

Don’t forget to have a discord server somewhere if you want functional chat :rofl:

Soooo, you want to bring in your friend that is telling you that he does not want to play this “extra intelligent, super duper IQ filled genius top of the pops level” game?

How about you tell him the truth?

A) No matter what anybody says- you wont enjoy this game if you do not pay for it. 20 Euros per month.

B) No matter what anybody says- you wont be flying ships you see on ads or in tutorials, FOR MONTHS or Years of constantly paying the game.

C) No matter what anybody says- DO NOT let him come here on forums! Ever.
You would not bring your women on first date into a crack house, so do not bring him here.

D) If he do come to the game- he will have to work for days, just to replace that one ship he lost( for whatever reason).

E) tell him that his skills DO NOT MATTER. Only “skill points” matter. In other words- how long do you pay- that is how good you are.

F)He must get into a huge corp. where he will be a good little worker bee for profit of someone else.

G) And you wonder why he does not want to play this game.

Bait

4 Likes

Who made another troll alt?

Welcome to EVE!

3 Likes

I enjoy it as Alpha. I have bought PLEX and am happy to do so once in a while. No one forces me to pay.
I don’t think he’d like it even for free.

I’m flying Battlecruisers afters 3 months. I can fly Battleships but I’m not going to unless I’m asked. Good ships only rendered weaker due to skill points but I’m not looking to invade a system. I’m playing for fun.

Why, whatever do you mean?!? :smirk:

For the price of a McMeal he can buy a fleet of Destroyers or a few Battlecruisers, all armed and fitted to the teeth. EVE vs McDonald’s, who’s going to win?

That’s a narrow view of PvP in EVE. You might as well throw the towel.

He doesn’t have to. It all depends what he plays for and what interests him.

Must be something else. Maybe it’s just not his style. Maybe he prefers the McMeal.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forums @C-Kat ! You are totally a brand new person to the game and not some random alt of the same dude who always says this junk. Pleased to meet you new person with great ideas and much credibility!

4 Likes