How do I Convince my Friend to Play a 20 Year Old MMO?

Thank you, I am pleased to see that you, dear carebear, always get out of your hole to meet with other people to try and bring them down.
I cant imagine why I said not to bring new guys in this acid pit.

Have a nice day, and make sure you kill as many new guys you can this week so that you can brag about it to your besties.
:*

1 Like

Simply not true. If you focus your skill points you can be flying some pretty impressive ships within 6 weeks or so. You can also take advantage of augmentations and boosters to speed up the skills process. My new Omega is getting into big ships way faster than this account ever did, as I tended to just splash skills all over the place in this account whereas the new account is very focused. The real problem is getting this across to noobs.

Meh. My 750 DPS Mega Laser Gnosis costs about 1/6 of the price of a pint of beer ( and can be skilled for in a few weeks ).

You donā€™t have to do one thing or the other in Eve. You can do both.

1 Like

Hello @C-Kat. Welcome to the forums.
I hope I donā€™t sound argumentative when I say that your experience with EvE is different than mine.

Paying for the subscription does open up more options, but I had fun with faction warfare on an alpha alt.

Well this depends. Some of the advanced ships do take time and training (a strategic cruiser, marauder, or capital ship will take a long time to skill into). But one can do a lot with a t1 ship. EvE is very different than most MMOā€™s in the sense that frigates do not become obsolete. If a new player that gets the 1 million skill point referral and finishes the career agents, will get a small fleet of ships and will be able to fly them right away.

I have learned much from reading other peopleā€™s posts. I think the forum is helpful. Certainly not a ā€œcrack houseā€.

EvE is the different than many other MMOā€™s in that when one loses a ship, it is lost, it does not just respawn. But if a new player completes their career agent missions, they will receive many good ships as rewards for completing the missions. I would caution new players to stick with frigates though, until they have an income stream large enough to make losing frigates trivial.

ā€œDonā€™t fly what you canā€™t afford to loseā€ is a good rule of thumb.

This is just flat out wrong. There are many ā€œsoft skillsā€ that a player needs to learn that will make them much better players. A player with maxed out frigate skills in a faction frigate is going to die if they fly straight into an artillery armed battleship. A player with half the skill points in a t1 frigate, but knows how to manually pilot the ship and zig-zag toward the battleship will be able to get in close and get the tackle off.

I have spent most of my time in EvE in a small corp that is just me and some friends. I have been in a largish null sec alliance as well, but the most fun Iā€™ve had in the game was in small corps of friends. If you donā€™t want to join a large corp, start out on your own, or join a small corp. EvE is a sand box, and how you want to play the game is up to you.

EvE is a niche game. My son once expressed interest in playing the game, but he did not like it, and went back to first person shooters. Thousands of people do like EvE however. To each their own.

I hope you find your niche in the game @C-Kat. From your post it sounds like you have not found it yet. If you want to play EvE, but feel burnt out try doing something new. There are many different playstyles and many good youtube videos out there that can help you get started. Iā€™ve been many things in EvE, but I have never been an explorer. I am just learning how to do this, a total newbie again.

Good luck @C-Kat! I hope you find your spot in the sun.

(edited to fix a problem with a quote)

3 Likes

I came across an article highlighting the Brutix as one of the ā€˜top 10 shipsā€™ of Eve. And indeed, fitted with Heavy Neutron Blasters I can get one to 860 DPSā€¦and even an impressive 500 DPS and 11km optimal range with Null. Butā€¦then I compared with my Heavy Pulse Laser Gnosis which can do 500 DPS damage at 25km with Scorch, so over twice the range, has 15K more EHP, far less align time, and does higher drone damageā€¦and I do wonder if people arenā€™t often aiming for ships that ostensibly look fancier when they can actually squeeze better out of more basic ships.

1 Like

Eve Online is basically Dungeons and Dragons but space based. If your friend loves creating characters training skills and buying ships, Eve Online is for her or him.

Had noone in this thread not mentioned Roleplay?

Tell your friend that there all sorts of roleplay in New Eden and that it is up to them to force their our path.

Tell your friend we have cat ears and cowboy hats.
(By the time he has lost his first ship he will have forgotten all about those)

1 Like

You donā€™t ā€œcatch upā€, you just start playing.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.