How much ISK/day is good?

First and foremost:

Are YOU having fun? If no, then you’re doing something wrong. If yes, then ■■■■ it, you’re already better off than half the people playing this game. You do you boo as the saying goes.

That said, one of the things I don’t see people talking about enough is diversification. Just like in real life, diversification is key to both fun and making ISK.

For example: To make my space pesos I do the following:

1. Mining
  2. Manufacturing*
  3. Research*
  4. Exploration
  5. Bashing space anomalies
  6. PI*
  7. Skill point farming*

The ones I marked with an * are normally low income per unit time (as in total time invested), but they’re also largely passive if done correctly which means most of that total time you’re free to do something else because you’re just waiting anyway. I have 60 odd planets, 60 odd research and 60 odd manufacturing lines running pretty much all the time, and I only have to pay attention to them about once a week or so, which means they’re (slowly) accumulating money, WHILE I’m off doing something else.

Never underestimate the ability to start something you don’t have to pay much attention to that will make you money.

The downside: (Because you knew there was one)
Getting to the point where you can effectively diversify takes time, a certain investment in skill points, and most of all experience with the game to know what activities are going to make your lazy ass the most isk with the least effort so you can go do the stuff you enjoy.

Think of ISK as a necessary evil. You need it, but you don’t want to spend any more time getting it than is absolutely necessary, and don’t waste your time accumulating more of it than you really need.

And just because of Solstice: I have 7 accounts, 5 of which are full, with…um…how to define an alt. I have 3 combat-focused characters and 14 not-combat focused characters.

1 Like

Eve is a game, if you are not having fun you indeed are doing something wrong.
I do trading, trading and some more trading, and a particularly aggressive form of exploration too…

Now … I’m not one who says that people should specialize.

I’ve heard that often and I believe that’s rather silly, because in EVE there is no Jack-Of-All-Trades-Master-Of-None …
… so I agree with you …
… but maybe you should mention how many alts you’re using for this …
… because otherwise it’s kind of misleading.

1 Like

You have a point. I updated my post.

3 Likes

They are when you loot their wrecks. :wink:

:smirk:

5 Likes

wen im playing a lot i like to earn 3 bil a month
i can use 1.5 to plex and 1.5 to have some fun
4 is not bad :smiley: 1 bil left at the end of the month makes thing even better
but i don’t care to earn more than that
wen im earning LOTS of money i simply tend to stop caring and spending more recklessly
i think in isk to pay for omega and to have fun , I’m not a hoarder, don’t have lots of assets also
most of my assets are fitted combat ships

edit:
also this is a average number , some months i make a lot more than that some months i make a lot less
i try to have this number on my head to keep omega and have a lot of hulls without killing myself
i play eve for a long time , i dot have patience to grind

edit2:
sooooooo
about 100++++ milion / day

1 Like

What mining barge costs 500m? You might want to check other stations/regions if that’s the current price of a barge where you are. Seriously, exhumers (the T2 barges) don’t even cost that much.

My advice would be to find a nullsec group with moons. Moon mining is the best mining in the game. They’ll probably want a portion of the value of the ore you mine, be it in reprocessing taxes or a buyback percentage, but you’ll make an order of magnitude more than mining plagioclase.

I’m glad that you’re having fun in Eve, regardless of what you choose to do.

However much is worthwhile for you to continue playing the game the way you want to.

Don’t mine in highsec.

As someone who chased isk for a decade, this is the best advice in the thread. Do what you have fun doing. If mining becomes boring, do PvE. If PvE becomes boring, try Faction Warfare. If FW becomes boring, try P.I… If you’re like most people, half a second after trying P.I., you’ll be bored and can look at trading., etc.

But whatever you do, do what interests you, even if it means changing things up. Set non-isk related goals for yourself. Set realistic goals, set challenging goals, and set un-realistic goals. Even when I was isk hungry, it was the goal of building one each of the four racial freighters that really kept me interested in mining, industry, and trade. It’s one that I’ve not yet completed, however when I look at it all, I have a Providence, and Ark (which requires a Providence), an Obelisk, and a Rorqual in various hangars. And with the exception of Megacyte, Zydrine, and the tech 2 materials for the Ark, I mined all of the materials for them.

I highly doubt there are many people who do not AFK mine that could pull that much ore while focused only on the isk. You have to be involved in other things or you’ll just end up quitting. An example in that would be that during the time I manufactured all that stuff, I was busy doing other things like being part of an alliance, dealing with wars, running a POS in low-sec for my corp, and so on.

tl:dr; Listen to Lis Torin. Maybe not all the time, but definitely on the quoted part. :slight_smile:

ISK is not an end goal in the game. The activities you want to participate in is the end goal.

“Enough ISK to engage in the activities you want to participate in” is therefore the answer.

There is no rush to own a dreadnought or buy a citadel. Combat is combat, whether you’re in a frigate or a carrier. Decide what activity interests you, pursue it, earn enough ISK to be able to do so.

2 Likes

OP, do yourself a favour and focus on fun not isk. The isk will come as you learn the game and how to make isk if you need it to facilitate you having fun (what else matters in a game other than having fun?).

Actually there are many folk who have been playing EvE for many years who have never had a lot of isk and there are folk in EvE who have hundreds of billions of isk who would gladly trade it to have fun again.

Don’t fall into the trap of making a game into a second job.

3 Likes

you can make from 1m/h while mining to 1B/h in C6 while dread ratting. this is eve.

I dont know, I switched to gathering coins in Pillars of Eternity.

1 Like

All y’all talking about how the OP should focus on fun and not on making money seem to have forgotten what it was like to be a new player, and having to constantly buy skill books (that you’ve trained decades ago), buy ships and insure them for the first time (instead of just pulling some out of a hangar like you’re able to), replace occasional losses (that you’ve learned to avoid because you’re filthy, risk-averse carebears), et cetera.

Yeah, an eagle-eyed focus on wealth is detrimental, but money is still important, and instead of being edgy with your “you do you girl” comments, give the noob some actual advice on how they can make some easy cash right now.

2 Likes

You getting rich in that game? :smile:
I net about a couple mil a day in EVE, never been much for a grind, myself. And since I don’t fly what I can’t afford I don’t go looking for PvP. Sometimes it comes to me but I figure it’s bad luck and move on, buy another ship when I can afford it or redo a mission for one.

I find collecting bounties in Red Dead Redemption 2 very satisfying. THAT is an open-world game!

I have my own keep!

But you get it with a lot of trouble on your hands. It gives me some cash but not as much as when adventuring.

Way to go! I thought about playing it last yearbut the top-down system is boring to me personally. It feels too 90’s and I got used to 3D immersion games à la GTA.
EVE Online would be worth the sub if it weren’t so chaotic and opportunistic. But the game is nice to spend a couple of hours a day.

Good thought.

Easy cash right now: Do a set of Career Agents. They’re fast, easy, conveniently placed, and earn you about 2 million ISK per hour when factoring in payouts and sellables. Plus there are 12 sets (3 for each race) and they give you good standings with that faction. You can fly to each set in a corvette, quickly do the Exploration agent in the corvette which gives you a decent ship to do all the other ones in, then knock off all 4 other careers quickly. I pick up one mission from each, fly out and do all 4 at once. 10 runs and you’re done.

You also get various ships for your next steps. I would normally recommend either missioning or exploration next for (relatively) fast early cash. YOu will need to google and read guides to find ways to do those effectively.

While it’s possible to play Eve solo, you’ll find that working with others in a social, collaborative way will make a lot of activities - PvE, mining, missioning, PvP - much more enjoyable and profitable.

My personal advice would be to find a corporation that matches your aspirations (short or long term) and that has pilots in it who can help and teach you.

Be mindful however of the fact that people who jump around a lot between corporations (a day here, a week there, etc) are regarded as potentially suspicious. It’s best to choose carefully.

If you’re stuck then consider joining Eve University because you can learn a lot about pretty much every aspect of the game from them (and if you don’t want to actually join, I’d still look at their exemplary educational materials because these are freely available to all).

Space is big but reputation can potentially travel a long way in Eve.

Contrary to what some pilots have written, ripping off all and sundry as quickly as possible, to make a quick buck is not really a long term, successful or sustainable strategy.

You need to make and maintain connections within Eve - in some ways this underpins most of what happens in the game - and if the reputation that precedes you is that of someone who is duplicitous, untrustworthy, dishonest and frankly evil, then that’ll end up being the only pilot demographic who’ll want to hang out with you.

Ultimately, it’s your choice and I won’t tell you that being evil isn’t going to be possibly lucrative because it might be, but in the meantime, you’ll find yourself in some pretty dodgy company and any level of trust, of anyone, will be very thin on the ground.

To quote John Rooney (Road to Perdition, Paul Newman)':

There are only murderers in this room … This is the life we chose, the life we lead. And there is only one guarantee: none of us will see heaven.

Simplified: You will reap, richly, what you sow.

As far as the advice of other pilots goes …

Don’t do this. It’s unbelievably obnoxious and lazy behaviour and people who do this are pretty much the lowest of the low.

As a miner, I don’t particularly like gankers. However, I do respect the fact that they take on an element of personal risk in order to do what they do. While I don’t particularly like the harassment of miners, at least gankers work for what they get. Nicking cans of other people’s ore is just rude, and lazy.

This is, again, obnoxious behaviour.

Either grow some cojones and become a proper and fully-fledged ganker or please find some other way to fill your day. Being an utter arse as your entire raison d’être is, in the whole scheme of things, pretty pathetic.

Yet more obnoxious behaviour that will get you an awful reputation (because people will, sooner or later, work out who you are) and frankly at this point, a lot of people will just not want to know you at all.

As a strategy, I think it’s also a bit fantastical.

I’ve been playing Eve for over ten years and I now head up a corporation. I would never, ever place my trust in an Alpha character who rocked up and tried to be < ahem > ‘helpful’.

It’s simply not worth my reputation to trust anyone who I don’t know really well with the ore that other miners have sweated to produce (because if this person then rips off my fellow miners, it comes back on me).

Reputations take years to build and seconds to obliterate. I can’t speak for all CEOs but I’d not take the chance unless I was 99.9% certain.

Lastly, you’ve only been playing Eve for five days. You do realise that Eve is a pretty slow burning sandbox game. right? It takes (*literally *) years to get even close to mastering it, at least IMHO.

:mouse:

1 Like

OP, the best advise anyone can give you, is:

Don’t listen to losers who want to tell you how to behave.
Behave how you want, aim for success, but don’t harm people.

Gladly this is a video game and no one is actively being harmed, no matter what you do.
People who can’t seperate reality from fiction aren’t your problem.

It’s a game.
It’s not real life.

May I suggest you target the above guy’s corp first? :slight_smile:
Definitely seems to be worth it.

And always keep chatlogs and make copies of their discord servers’ chats.

You never know if it’s not for good use later on.

edit: forgot the word “chats”.

1 Like