How much server capacity would it take to have D-scan automatically update every x seconds?

In my mind, if server load isn’t a problem, then this is the next strongest argument against automating d-scan. As someone said before, manual d-scan is an expression of skill, and an advantage in pvp. However, as I said before, CCP could make it so guns no longer automatically cycle and reload when emptying. That would also enable an expression of skill, and would push even a little bit closer towards starcraft levels of APM. Some people might like that idea, but I think most people who play eve would not, because they like EVE how it is, and are familiar with the way things are, and find comfort in that familiarity.

However, from my point of view, D-scan is just as tedious and unecessary as manually firing your guns every time they cycle. I’m coming back to eve, after having played a lot of other games. I have 108 games currently in my Steam library and began playing EVE back in 2008. I think the loss of the “expression of skill” that d-scan allows is outweighed by the quality of life improvement, and in addition to that, there are a lot of other ways for player skill to take effect in engagements, such as manually piloting instead of setting orbit. Again, similar to automatically cycling weapons.

If you have Arthritis and can’t d-scan then change your game-style to adapt fly brick tanked ship’s stay in a fleet and act as bait and when people catch you call out on coms to give the people around you content by killing the poeple off of you.

If you cannot hit d-scan then use your brain and play in a way that doesn’t need it.

What is with all the insulting, personal attacks? Yeesh, I made a suggestion. Attack the suggestion, not the person making it. CCP does a lot to make their work environment a good place to work, seems like they could improve on making their forums a good place to provide feedback and have discussions on ways to improve the game. If a mod is reading this, maybe start dropping some temp bans. If this continues, I might start testing the waters myself and see how personal I can get with insulting these douchbags on the forums before I get myself temp banned.

I already know where to get started, by telling people that they should kill themselves. See how fast that gets a reaction out of the mod team. Let me remind you all, that words create real word consequences. If you think you’re free to say what you want, reality will slap you so hard in the face, your head will spin. Words have real world consequences, as they should. So get your ■■■■ together, talk to me like a grown-ass ■■■■■■■ adult, and stop making personal insults and attacks on me. For fucks sakes.

2 Likes

This forum is full of trolls who attack the person when they disagree with the post.
No wonder this game is called toxic.

2 Likes

Yeah it’s called toxic disinhibition. Like this: This is REALLY EvE - YouTube
The lack of consequences for such behavior is what gives people the sense that it’s okay to behave like dicks. And to be real? Yeah, they really CAN act like dicks, if there’s no consequences for THEM.

I know this kind of goes off topic but to hell with it. It seems like (from my experience), gaming communities start off small, positive, helpful, and as they grow and mature, toxic shitheads come in and drive away the nice, helpful people.

In this thread, I ignored the insults at first, but ignoring it only normalizes and perpetuates the behavior. Unfortunately, toxicity is often not dealt with until it reaches the point where it can’t be ignored any longer. So I just cut straight to the chase, “kill yourself” is the hot button to go to when you want to make some splashes. Even the most die hard “harden the ■■■■ up” enthusiasts have no choice but to concede that telling someone to kill themself online is crossing a line, whether they like it or not. As/if anti cyberbullying laws are progressed, we might lose out on some of our freedom of speech, in exchange for more psychologically safe online environments.

Anyhoo, back to the main point of this thread. Googling has revealed to me that this subject has been brought up multiple times in the past so, meh. Maybe it’s on their radar. I’m sure I won’t be the last person to bring up the subject of automating d-scan.

That’s not good.
You’re supposed to report people who insult you. There are rules in the forum. FAQ - EVE Online Forums

LOL.

Imagine being grown and snitching.

What are you even talking about you literally said the person has a disability to hit the button so then I gave a solution under that circumstance, there is no personal attack.

When I use the word you I mean the person in that situation, it’s just different cultural ways of speaking don’t take things so personally.

It would have to be an actual insult which it isn’t he is being oversensitive.
Obviously I can’t speak for Gix’s comment’s only myself, but then I have him blocked for being a known troll anyways so… maybe you guys can use the block function?

Where did he literally say that ?

No you did not. You gave an idea which is basically don’t play the game - which is not acceptable - and then claim that he does not use his brain :

That’s another personal attack. “There is no problem with my insults, the problem is you don’t like them”.

Maybe you should not block him and use the report function ?

1 Like

If what he wrote means it, then what he wrote is not literally it.

And it implies he’s not using it.
Otherwise your post would be a nonsense.

So it’s plain insults.

more personal attacks.

It does not.

Blocking people is the same as closing your eyes when you see a law infraction.
Abide the law, report to the authorities.

You are now being reported for personal attacks. Bye.

Imagine if you had to hit a key to update your overview. Seems silly.

1 Like

Imagine having such low self esteem you have to build yourself up by trash talking others in a video game forum. No one cares how skilled you are at spaceship pixels.

As for the OP’s suggestion: I doubt it would take much more server attention than it’s already doing to keep dscan constantly updated the way the overview is. Whatever listener they’re using for the overview could be extended out to 14 au but just keep the current display settings. All the rest of that information could then be shunted off to the dscan.

The biggest issue they’ll run into (beyond increased network load) is whether or not the old code would freak out or not (which is all the more reason to try to replace it if and when they can.)

Whether or not auto dscan is a good idea is a balance issue, but I don’t think the negatives are strong enough to shoot the idea down. There are plenty of other areas in the game people can get their skill ceiling fixes. (Such as actual combat.)

1 Like

This is another perfect example why actual devs should interact with the playerbase more.

If they did they could have added their bit to this thread to clarify if server load would be an issue if this was implemented. Instead we can just guess.

They could also add their thinking process regarding the idea itself why they are in favor or against it to see what effect it might have on intended gameplay to see why this is a good or bad idea based on game balance according to developer perspective.

It seems CCP is afraid to interact with its own players. :thinking: :psyccp:

2 Likes

True. But I can say in this case, dev interaction not needed on this issue.

Ganking for sure tho :smiley:

That’s very funny post. :grin:
Thanks for the laugh in what would otherwise be a sorry thread with insults and idiocies.

To O.P, I would guess it wouldn’t take as much server capacity as to crash it.

1 Like

That’s assuming they know.

I think it’s 40% rotation per year in CCP. Which means most devs have no idea what it takes to work on the engine.

Remember that the server has to calculate each action, each event, each change, for each entity on the grid, and broadcast it to each client. Which basically means sending n² data with n clients.
Now add each entity and each client that is NOT on grid. Plus a check per client on entity size. That’s why dscan is about.
Most of the time there won’t be an issue. but when the server is already tidi then there will be more load.

At least their educated guess would be lightyears more reliable and dependable than any educated guess we can come up with. Maybe it’s just me though but I rather read their guess than swinging in the dark.

making my thorax invulnerable would improve my qol . is that balanced ? good for the game ? fair to players trying to kill me ?

players will rationalize to the ends of the earth , arguing for changes they want . suggesting ridiculous changes , like weapons auto repeat is somehow analogous to dscan .

at the end of the day , the real question is , is this change beneficial for ALL players .

those hunting you , when you forget , get distracted, or just don’t bother to dscan, would say no .

1 Like

your thorax is already invol… while you’re parked in a station. Or tethered.