How to fix bots

No. Go away.

2 Likes

“No go away” would be the message to the botters and they would as they’ve had to do so in other games. But hey up Nicolai bot freely in eve as CCP has no intrest in stopping non rmt related botting.

And so I have no interest in helping stop rmt :wink:

I don’t bot or RMT and resent the accusation. Your debit card idea is retarded.

3 Likes

I guess OP doesn’t know that captcha exists and it could just be put in game… and instead makes up some random RGB color sillyness.

There are only 2 parties that should ever have access to my debit or credit card number. Myself and the bank that manages that card. To have any 3rd party use my card number as a security feature is ludicrous and stupid. I’m fine with them assigning a complicated PIN or authenticator system, but not something that can directly or indirectly give them access to my financial information.

5 Likes

Why have a debit or credit card if you are not going to allow a 3rd party access to said funds? You should just bury your money in your back garden and go back to the 1300’s.

Allowing a 3rd party to use it for a purchase is one thing. Having them store it as an arbitrary security feature is another altogether. Use a PIN (you can even have a 16-digit one if you like) or an authenticator.

They don’t have to permanently store it. It could just require that a purchase was made with a Debit/CC card once.

Of course, that adds more barrier to entry… and goodbye to things like starter-packs.

People can spin up email addresses and pins at will. Financial cards make you have some skin in the game, as it were.

ATM Cross Warezone Plexing needs to end, else all FW will be lost. Untill a solution can be found.

Just buy some technology to detect if the client is started on a virtual machine and don’t let run it. Maybe CCP could lose 10% of their clients but 90% of the bots. It’s a deal. Sorry, collateral damage.

They can restrict the parallel running clients number. Let’s say only 4 can run at a time.

They can restrict how many hour per day can run a client. Let’s say 12 hours. 12 hours of playing computer games is more than unhealthy, go and do something else.

It doesn’t matter what CCP want do against bots, the solution will hurt a group of players. It is just a business decision which hurts better. The bots, or the solution(s).

You wanna say how long i can play ? You wanna say how much money i could spend for my hobby ? You wanna say that this restrictions would kill the most of eve’s bots ?

If the answer of this questions is yes then pls go and insert random word yourself.
If this would happen then eve would lost his playerbase and then its dead. And this will go very fast

Same reason it doesn’t fight back

Because it doesn’t matter. They know they’re going to lose their ship, it’s more time efficient to let you kill it quickly if it’s caught. The way things are, the faster you kill them, the faster they get back to farming.

If you want to “grief” the bot owner, scram+web the bot and keep it there until downtime. That is literally the most harm you can do to them. Obviously, it comes at too high a cost to yourself to make it worthwhile.

The moment you make it so that a pod loss negatively affects the bottom line more than flying back to the ship stockpile, you’l see them flying back to the ship stockpile.

Anti-botting bot?
Picture it: a thousand bots in synchronicity enter plexes to scram/web whomever’s in it. A hug from one bot to another.

We’ll call it the “Just let me love you!” protocol.

1 Like

Yes perhaps but i was going to bet on AI being much easier to control from within the application with a development team thus as a player the automation has limitations you can’t just create any NPC’s only very basic ones.

Somebody hire this guy!

1 Like

I am unemployable due to the vast distances between me and the real world.

Meilin Nightstalker…actually there is an easy fix to the memory reading problem you mention. No need to encrypt client memory or use ASLR, just alter where elements are kept in memory! Seriously, CCP can download any of these botting platforms and see how they scan the memory stack and just change things. This memory addressing is reverse engineered over many many months of digging into the memory stack…it isn’t easy work. If CCP just changed things regularly with their quarterly releases then the botters would never be able to keep up via performing reverse engineering fast enough. CCP holds all the cards here. The BOT platforms are all open source and they can be reversed in a matter of days. The EVE client is closed source and takes months to reverse. Just make changes at regular intervals and the botters simply can’t keep up.

3 Likes

IMO…there is a reason ccp takes so long to “ban” botters.

Let me explain…

Comes down to botters use what ccp sells…PLEX. Botters use literally hundreds (thousands?) of plex per month which ccp just happen to sell.

Lets face it. You dont have to be a genius to be able to tell a botter is on the rocks. So if ccp cant tell, or wants to “use analytics” on these bots i call BS

Here in a nutshell is what ccp does…

They let said bot go for however long it takes to pay for the costs of bot account…then let bot sock some plex and isk away for future costs (which somehow mysteriously disappear in a supposedly “untraceable” manner) and THEN “put the hammer down”

So what is accomplished?

ccp has made thousands on plex…while sort of giving the impression they give a crap about botting!

Botter has made enough to replace everything, having been given enough time to do such and made a tidy profit also. Other than some inconvenience of starting new account its time to roll again…

WIN WIN for both botter AND ccp…

Go ahead and tell me im wrong np…but this is one i would actually bet on.

1 Like

Benduin2, I’m pretty sure you’re right. CCP makes far more $$ per account on PLEX sales from BOTTING than they ever could from monthly subscription fees. Use this example:

I just ran through a section of NULLSEC and saw the exact same thing as what is depicted in this article. That article was 1y ago…what I saw was last night. Finding these bots are super easy, just open your map, select “# of pirate ships destroyed in last 24hr”. Look for those systems in deep NULLSEC that are in strings where thousands of ships (sometimes upwards of 10,000) are destroyed in the last 24hrs. Now fly out there. You can see exactly what this article describes going on right in front of you.

Now use the math displayed by plenty of actual players running these anomalies in supercarriers on youtube. 100mil isk ticks are not out of the ordinary. That’s 300mil/hr per bot. I counted 8 bots last night running in this string of systems all running supercarriers (untold hundreds more in VNI’s, Gilas, or Ishtars). These bots are pulling in billions of isk per hour. And what do the botters do with all that isk? They buy the PLEX off the market. What do they do with that plex? Sell it on the black market sites for real money.

But even concentrating on just those 8 supercarrier bots I ran across last night do the math:

100mil per tick per bot
800mil per tick combined
2.4bil per hour combined
57bil per day
1.7tril per month

Using the current ISK to PLEX conversion that is roughly 450,000 plex per month those bots fund for CCP. With conversion rates to USD giving 3000plex for $100 that is about $15,000/mo these botters are making CCP.

That is just those 8 supercarriers with all my numbers rounded down to account for disruptions in botting activities.

Heck, cut that by 1/3 even. $10,000 per month is nothing to shake a stick at. I don’t think CCP realizes that their player base (human players) can put the pieces together and see this. And lets be real, it would be super easy to stop botting for CCP, all the bot platforms out there rely on reading the eve client memory stack now days. All they have to do is rearchitect where the eve client keeps things in memory and all the bots stop working. No need to ban any account. Just attack the problem at the root using a couple developers over the course of a couple months.

But why remove that type of actual hard cash from your coffers? They can either suffer from a small portion of their playerbase complaining about the botting and the inflation it causes or they can suffer an actual cashflow problem that is running their company and providing the employees with their paychecks.

I’d keep my company afloat and suffer some userbase complaints.

1 Like