How will pirates that hunt you down affect PVE?

People will evade, and file support tickets to get their mission ships reimbursed, unless the rewards are worth to run the base.

2 Likes

So do these pirates affect a single system, or a constellation?

Unless the pirates get bored and leave after some time. Somebody mentioned that a dev stated this was the case but I cannot find the reference so take that as you will.

Ultimate if they aren’t worth dealing with for their own sake it will chase people away. Temporarily if the infestation is temporary, permanently if not. And the route they take out of HS will not be to Null, Low or WH but instead they will simply log off.

3 Likes

Meh u guys make it seem as if people have to carebear in specific systems. Eve has lots of space. If a system becomes too hot they will simply move. Tbh this just seems like the sleeper incursions that they once had. Those spread too. As i remember people just ignored them until they burned themselves out.

Depends if they do burn out (?) … how long that takes & if a nearby nest is going to increase the chances of new nests spawning in neighboring systems (so the cancer spreads if left untreated & you end up with no clean systems?) … so many unknowns

Going to have to wait & see how a lot of it works I guess :confused:

I don’t know how all this high sec content is going to work out, and don’t really care except to say that it seems to be another example of Developers making content for some ‘perfect idea of what gamers are’ instead of real people. People always say they want group content, what they really want is to be left alone. Like incursions, ths group content will be a draw for people who like to organize (read: non-high sec players) while people who like to solo (high sec players) might dabble in it for a few minutes before going back to mini and saving Damsels.

But this part from the Massively article always sets my teeth on edge:

CCP Games has been working on advanced AI for the past few years with the aim of turning those mindless drones we fight in PvE into intelligent actors similar to players

If PvE players wanted “intelligent actors similar to players”, we’d be PvPers. I think it’s dumb how people celebrate “better PVE” that no one ever uses.

6 Likes

You need to go gank someone in hi sec then taunt them in local, do it quick, you appear to have run out of the recommended dosage of salt for consumption with that line :rofl:

Then this plan is awful and needs to be canceled immediately and the offending parties fired from CCP.

1 Like

Or we will be tanked enough to just fail to care, i already have to tank therm/kin for my missions so its not really a big deal, depending on the spawn rates i might just sit outside the station and let the free ISK come to me instead :stuck_out_tongue:

Your assuming they will give any ISK/bounties at all, the ones spawned to defend the pirates bases give zero bounties, only the structure itself gives a reward. So the ones that it spawns to annoy players may also simply be bounty-less and used as pressure to kill the bases.

You are speaking for yourself, and certainly not for me, and certainly not for the future generations of players coming through, who will accept this as part of their missioning environment because thats the way it always will have been for them.

I do actually want this sort of thing. I like the idea of the faucets being turned off, and there being things needed to be done to turn them on. I also like the idea of their being traps, and reasons to group up for mutual support. I’ve seen this first hand with the miner response fleets (ie after a little experimentation with a throwaway plate vexor, I now know what to do to extract a friendly from one).

3 Likes

Then feel free to explain why these things like NPC mining operations are in the game and yet so few people are doing them? Explain why after 9 years of ‘better PVE’ starting with Incursions that the most popular PVE activities are STILL missions, anomalies, mining, exploration and complexes?

I’m sure you think you want this crap, hell, you may even actually be a part of the tiny minority that does want it (like how all those people clamored for Incursions yet the number of logged in people doing them almost never exceeds 1.5%), but it would be a mistake to ignore what the bulk of us are doing every day in EVE.

It would be yet another example of a game company ignoring the actual actions of its players in favor of “cutting edge, ground breaking innovation” aka stuff that shows of technical prowess but that almost no one likes.

2 Likes

Would you also like it if CCP would do it in nullsec? If this was done in nullsec, i bet there would be a threadnaught with hundreds of pages explaining why smart NPCs and nerfing faucets are a bad idea …

Its quite telling that the new NPC AI ignores nullsec faucets. The NPC miners ignore ore anomalies (Rorquals mine there). FOBs and NPC AI fleets, who hunt players, only spawn in highsec. The NPCs in combat anomalies are still as intelligent as a rock and can be farmed easily with carriers.

Dangit, Jenn…you’re probably right, but:

2 Likes

Oh for gods sake, cas/castabouts system is on a well travelled pipe (because we are too small/weak/neutral to take space that anyone else actually wants), its currently 1 jump from an active goon staging, 6 jumps from inits home - on their current deployment routes, and not much further from pandemic horde or until recently where culture staged like 4 jumps away too.

Not only that we’ve had a 16 hour a day camper for the last 8 weeks, and every solo pvper on the pipe stops there for 15 minutes to do the exact same antics that 10 other people do in the same day.

Trust me, I know what the off button on a nullsec faucet looks like.

Which is not my game design choice. Please do raise it with CCP, I’m completely fine with that change.

In any case, this is highsec content, which highsec ‘champions’ like Dinsdale were after all stamping their feet and complaining they never get.

2 Likes

Yes, and once there were no highsec anomolies, and then when highsec anomolies were introduced, nobody did them, no money compared to missions (until people figured out about the escalations).

Nowadays you can watch gurista highsec anomolies respawn in a system because they are being done that fast. I notice you’ve added them to your arguments these days, because I pointed this out to you last time we had this debate.

As I’ve often stated I live in nullsec. We have a system with anomolies to run, there is 25 people logged on in fleet, and 1-2 people in the sov system, and less than 1 person on average out actually doing them. ie our utilization peaks at ~8% of logged on members and averages less than 2%.

Also I’ve had to interact (in order to help a fleet mate) with the npc miners, and I enjoyed the experience, sufficiently to schedule some time at some point in the near future to figuring out how to kill their haulers - the more that content has tricks and traps, the more spaceships die, the more normalized spaceship death becomes, and the more reasons I have to interact and help others, rather than just link them to a mission cheat sheet. All of those things are improvements.

Yes I like the direction its going, and yes, there is a better game at the end of it all. Whiny old farts halfway through grinding a titan that don’t want the system to change until they finish notwithstanding.

1 Like

Tbh the FOBs seem like null lite for high sec. Someone drops a citadel in or around your space or stages from a nearby outpost and voila you have random content from them. You kill the citadel or take over the outpost and voila problem solved.

So to me its just CCP trying to “train” high sec denizens for the “fun” of being invaded and annoyed every so often by the next uber leet pvp crew.

1 Like

lol “better game”.

I’m going to enjoy watching people abandon all of this shiny new pve (that is actually a was of developer time) like they did with almost every type of ‘better’ PVP including:" takes deep breath incursions, sleepers, drifters, burners, clone soldiers, epic arcs, mining operations and soon Sotiyos and FOBs). The question isn’t IF, it’s “how long till people go back to running missions” when they find they don’t like this new stuff. It’s not like I imagined the last 9 years…

And I’m going to enjoy your dissatisfaction when you realize that what you want is a pipe dream. PVE isn’t about smart ‘life like’ NPCs and ‘dynamic experiences’ (when people want that, they PVP), it’s about resource gathering. The “I want PVP-like PVE” crowd is just another version of naivety like what was seen with the Walking in Stations crowd.

3 Likes

Do you know you replace almost all PvE activities? They are popular because there is nothing new. If FOBs will be a fresh start to new NPC UI, like Burger said on Vegas then it’s good. NPCs buliding their own empires? Mix of incursions with drifters style?
Nobody talking about removing all activities you mentioned they just add new ones. You’ll still be able to rat in nullsec anoms if you want.

Jenn is already hammering the sad prospective awaiting these “mini-incursions” as they’ll end, at best, being run by a tiny sliver of players transitioning towards incursions.

So I will just point at how ineffective is to add group content to a game where that lack of purpose in being a solo PvE player has cost CCP more players than all other causes combined. Also will point at Jenn’s last point: the development of technically advanced PvE serves as career and ego boost for developers, but players have little use for it. As you may figure I don’t care of CCP Larrikin’s bragging rights, but the fact that they stand in the way of getting OTHER PvE than these stupid advanced AIs makes it an issue.

People want what they do. CCP insists to ignore what PvErs do and keeps wasting the largest single demographic in EVE for no gain. That’s as stupid as it comes and given the persistence it has become structural, corporate stupid.

3 Likes