Weak argument, given Vanguard, Frontier, etc.
I would guess these two are going to be yet again bad business decisions. Maybe they’ll have players shell out 30 bucks for Omega at a near future point to recoup their loss ![]()
Weak argument, given Vanguard, Frontier, etc.
I would guess these two are going to be yet again bad business decisions. Maybe they’ll have players shell out 30 bucks for Omega at a near future point to recoup their loss ![]()
eve online isn’t funding frontier
fenris, if you are going to mess up the hud can you change the actor for the mining survey chipset to be like this:
As most of you know by now, I am against the HUD being altered for their idea of esthetics. It is my opinion, the best UI is a user generated UI. Not everyone considers themselves a graphics art major. However this game already has a limited but sharable Overview design. All I would like to see are more options and not “this is the way” design. That might please the select few but not the masses.
Remember these?
1972 Chevy Truck
All these changes for change sake returns us nothing. Did you buy your last vehicle because it had a cool looking dashboard? I doubt it, and if you did, then I feel sorry for you. My question for those FC developers making fat cash off this gimmick, how does this get more players to join your game? Once they come here, will the dashboard make them stay any longer?
Have fun!
Ironically the problem with dashboards…digital ones have more catastrophic failures…while the analogs are fairly resilent.
The current EVE HUD is workable…and has been built on alot of hard experience. Where as the newer concepts seem to throw that experience, and unified understanding.
Does it need work and could be made better true. Does it need iteration. Yes. We can have new ideas…or variations. Feedback should reinforce the mechanics of the HUD and mechanics.
I hate digital dashboards in cars. This is all one needs to drive a car:
Everything else is redundant and a distraction on the road where you should be paying attention to the road and keeping your situational awareness.
However, i don’t feel the same way about the HUD of a video game. I think it’s time for a new one, and most players will adapt. I can’t tell whether I will like it or not – I will reserve my judgment till after I actually get to use it – but in either case I don’t think it will be as bad as some are afraid. It’s time for a change.
I had one exactly like this, my first car was a green Plymouth Scamp.
I love the old analog gauges too and the clock that never kept the correct time. The common term for any mechanical failure light was “the idiot light”. By the time the idiot light for check oil came on, your car was smoking and the engine was trashed. It was always preferred to have an oil gauge with a needle.
I understand your position, but to change something that is not malfunctioning, is obviously not the area where the game is in need of attention.
Have fun!
My last car ( I am not allowed to drive any more ) was a 2005 Pontiac Sunfire.
I still had the analog needle gauges in that car.
Back to the current HUD, it might be October before we get the new one in game. I just think it is hogwash to say the opt out policy is temporary. They could at the very least grandfather the current players to have the old HUD. Tell them no updates will be made, but switching to the new HUD a given date voids the grandfather policy. This is a GUI and I know “someone” will tell us that keeping the old one will cost money. That is a load of bull manure, they never had to work on it until now.
Have fun!
The new EVE HUD may be intended to modernize the game, but it risks making the interface less practical for the players who rely on it most. EVE Online is built around fast decision-making, situational awareness, and the ability to process multiple pieces of information at once. Redesigning familiar elements can force veterans to relearn basic interactions during combat. This can also negatively impact , exploration, industry, and fleet coordination. A cleaner appearance is not automatically an improvement if it comes at the cost of speed and clarity.
There is also a danger that the new HUD prioritizes visual polish over customization. EVE has always allowed players to arrange their interface around highly specialized playstyles, from solo PvP and mining to large-scale fleet warfare and logistics. If important information is moved, hidden, or presented in a less comprehensive format, players may spend more time fighting the interface than playing the game. The strongest HUD would offer optional improvements while preserving the established layout and giving users meaningful control over what appears on screen.
Most importantly, a change this central to gameplay should not be treated as successful simply because it looks modern or was developed with limited community input. We the players need evidence that the redesign has been tested across different activities, hardware setups, and levels of experience. The rollout should include more than an opt-in period, extensive feedback, and a permanent way for the player to revert to the classic interface. Until the new HUD proves that it improves usability without disrupting established workflows, it would be better to delay or reconsider the change rather than impose another major adjustment on the EVE community.
Thank you for your time.
I am more of a proponent of “Elegant Solutions” or Soviet-esque “Good Enough” solutions where the barebones are easy to teach or intuitively understand at a glance.
I have serious doubts that the current “project” with the HUD doesn’t factor in many of the points you have brought up. And is just change for change sake, and alot of the posters in this EVE forum have shown their own variations and concepts. Some that are superior to what has been offered.
I’d really like to know how an element of the game that wouldn’t make most players’ top 50 of “things that need changing” gets chosen to be a major developer time sink.