Eve needs an UI-facelift?

I’d like to see some UI-improvments… Am i alone in this?
I think there is much to be done!? the only thing i still like about WoW, is the ability to use a custom made UI… Im not a coder so i’d download someone else work, but still.

In EVE find the current UI, kinda gritty and obsolete?

For one, i hate that i cannot set “transperency” to 0% and thus having 100% solid targets and overview. Its kinda annoying not to be able to change position of buff/debuff aka “links”.
its also kinda annoying to set-up everything and then change eve-window size, having it all move around…

All in all…
i think EVE is due for an custom-friendly ui facelift?

1 Like

I think the UI is great actually. All the latest changes made it worse. So I hope no more will follow.

5 Likes

Worst reply ever- go away.

I miss the old, colorful neocom buttons. Otherwise, I feel that the UI has been mostly improved.

6 Likes

I want new inventory icons for livestock, peeple in particular, curently they look like from some low budget nes game.

And I consider this to be one of the big issues in WoW. I’m actually fine with the fact, you cannot and do not have to download and manage tons of ui “upgrades” in EVE.

3 Likes

The gfx engine in Excel sucks doesn’t it :stuck_out_tongue:

its 100 times better than in 2011 so i think its ok

yeah, the ui looks great for me aswell :wink:
*sarcasm aside… As you can see, this is a hot mess. “eve is sucha beautiful game” yeah… “ok” :stuck_out_tongue:
i hafto move my screen towards a darker patch of space, just spinning my camera in space, all the time, to be able to tell if anyone in middle segments are even taking damage.
the bleed from space effects - behind the targets, are further making it very hard to tell if anyone is taking damage.

Well, you dont HAFTO download UI stuff for wow, but it sure helped me alot, with some of them bars…
but last i played wow was like 5+ years ago so now i dont know anything about that.

I suspect that you are talking about custom UI-users in wow did infact have an competetive pvp edge towards players with basic ui?
well… Its not the same game, there would not be a “competive edge” in having a fully customazation ui vs the basic ui, that we now have…?

CCP Hellmar said in last nights twitch stream, that they are now working with eve code - laying the foundation for this game to last into the future.
And i strongley feel like, even thou this current ui is an “upgrade” from what it looked like xx years ago… its still the same foundation? its still is 17 years old?
its still kinda crap towards the standards of today - even thou its a little bit “better”?

1 Like

Can you provide highly specific details as to what could change, please?

Fully customizablee UI, kinda like wow had/have?

hp & cast bars, like in wow, do not exist in EVE…?
so i dont see a problem, giving the eve-player an option to download and install ui mods that let you rezize tooltip windows & chats.

WoW is a very different kind of game than EVE.

I’m agnostic on tooltip windows, but you can already resize the chats, both the windows and the font size.

The screenshot you posted above is indeed a hot mess, but it seems to me that you could simply arrange your various windows better. You know you can also double-click on a window’s menu bar to make it collapse out of the way, too, right?

Here’s my UI arrangement:
Imgur

I don’t know how any of you manage with a single monitor. I think I would actually cry if u took away one of mine.

1 Like

I don’t have room for a second monitor rn, but getting a 2-monitor setup going is on my short list.

Makes a massive difference. Setting up each of my alts the same way was a pain tho, screenshots help.

This was interesting…

1 Like

:facepalm:

1 Like

I played EvE on a laptop for years…still do on occasion…yeah, gets a bit crowded. Spoiled now with bigger monitor, but mobility of laptop is appealing. Still a single monitor, though.

I dont understand? do you want me to list all things that are in a fully customizable UI? :confused:

Its quite clear?
i want a fully customizable UI.
so that others may make ui-mods plugins for me to choose from - what suits my needs. as others may choose diffrent ui layout to suit theirs.
… Just like how WoW handles ui.

If so my ui choice would entail:
movement of the hud freefloat style instead of just “up or down”.
the windows would not have a “fixed minimum ratio/size” (with alot of deadspace inbetween)
my Target list would be atleast 200% of what it is now and all the rest would maybe be 75% of what it is now.
My “target list” would be 100% solid - same goes for overview tab.

This is just on top of my mind… How would you modify your ui for your needs?

i play on a 32" (sweeeet!)… this is the size of 1 out of 4 windows.
and everytime i change # windows, i hafto rearange everything…

i know, but when resize the windows, everything changes, and then the changes i made dont “fit”… it gets old real quick to try to make ui look nice, with current ui-options.

What im trying to say is
To determine if a product is “good” or “bad” one simple question can be:
Does the product adapt to the customer or does the customer adapt to the product?

I am adapting to the product, multiple times per day, and its a pain…
and tbh, im sorry!.. but i dont agree with people that say that EVE is a beautiful game…

Hmmm, I can immediately think of quite a few instances where this isn’t the case.

No need to apologize for having an opinion.
One thing that I imagine would make a transition to a fully customizable UI is the fact that in contrast to WoW’s UI, EVE’s UI was not designed this way from the beginning. I am no programmer but I’d think that opening up the game to allow add-ons to modify the EVE UI, after 17 years as is, would be asking for trouble. I am happy to be corrected on this matter, of course.

While it can’t exactly replace the entire UI, this is the entire point of my project EveVision.

It’s a EULA-legal way to extend the EVE Online UI. It’s only a little over a month old and is currently mostly a way to use existing third party tools ingame, but I’m already working on the real goal - a plugin system for others to develop beautiful EVE-themed UI components just like in WoW that can be used without fear of it infecting your computer or sending off your character’s data somewhere. All you have to know is HTML, CSS, and TypeScript. Someone already reimplemented the original Jukebox themselves within a week of EveVision’s release, and now it’s part of EveVision.

CCP Aurora has stated on the forums that it is currently okay to use (note this isn’t a final approval, we’re still working through whether future features are OK).

Here’s the forum thread

And the separate FAQ

2 Likes