Eve needs an UI-facelift?

I think they should just make the UI moddable like other games and let the community figure out how to make it better.

Edit: Looks like EveVision is the answer. About damn time.

1 Like

Yes, you are alone. The EVE UI is fine.

2 Likes

FTFY, some parts of the Eve community are well known for exploiting any edge that CCP inadvertently allows.

An example would be the Bacon app that exploited the fact that you could poll the logserver to get real time updates on who was in a system, and then compared those updates to a standing list in order to produce different alerts depending on standings.

You already (mostly) can. It is idiocy like this that makes me lash out in these forums. It is fools like you coming here bleating about all the things that are wrong in the game and present their awesome solutions whithout checking first if it is already possible. ■■■■ off!.

Want to play wow? ■■■■ off from my EvE and play wow.

You are the problem

Wow, you dont know how to arrange your UI at all. Mine is a lot more tidy.

4 Likes

Indeed, you can get a pretty good workflow if you set it up right.

2 Likes

In EvE I can rearrange windows as I need. Can’t do that so easily in WoW without those addons.

you want custom UI?

you know eve is about 6 codes about to be 7 codes sewn together in a giant blob of code that the devs dont even know wtf is what.

no new people learned the existing code before all the old people left and just starting adding their own new gen coding, those people up and left and new people added yet another code.

the POS system is still around all because they cant figure out how to delete it without breaking eve.

2 Likes

you have :red_circle: in neocom now :)))

No actually, you are the problem and also you are only insulting yourself.
ps. i hate wow.

The more i think about it EVE ui its rather basic, the framework which it was build upon is 17 years old. Its far from “fine” today.

Im not a programer either (dont know the lingo) but i know system architecture and i belive you are right. Adding things to this current UI “base” is not going to work, it would only be more polish and im think eve is maxed out on polish already.
they would hafto remake the entire UI and i really hope this is something that CCP prioritize.
CCP devs, if your reading this; i think you should go with your guts here and take the bull by its horn and just re-do the client, i know you know, its needed.

Agree 100% set it up so the the community can craft the UI! im unsure of EveVision? sure its a nice tool to have, and mad respect @Jaydubs !
instead of 15 tabs in Chrome… just one simple ingame tool! nice!
…but for the purpose of changing/customize is it possible to alter UI-windows?

Yes, i know how to arrange my ui.
i just dont bother doing it everytime i resize eve.
print is “quick and dirty” ui arrangement. ingame windows are at their smallest sizes, they cannot be any smaller due to UI limitations.

ps. @Trudeaux_Margaret btw, in what instances are my simple question not applicable to product adaption to customers or viceversa? im genuinly interested in knowing this :stuck_out_tongue:

Unfortunately not, it would be strictly against the EULA if I or anyone else made modifications to existing windows. That’s the real magic trick of EveVision - I figured out how to add onto the UI without modifying the game and thus violating the EULA. But maybe one day they’ll give us the tools to do so.

Well, video games is a huge one.
Let’s look at World Of Warcraft as an example. In its early years, it was known as a highly social game where most of the end-game content could only be accomplished in guilds. And the mid-tier dungeon content had to have a group of five, which the players had to organize themselves. The players complained about the frustrations of putting groups together, so Blizzard added an automatic group-finding feature to take away all the work. All you had to do was press a button and the game would put together a group made of players all over your region.

The end result of this was that server reputations ceased to matter. There was no continuity in who you played with, so there was no longer any reason to be friendly to players within your group. You didn’t have to work to overcome objectives anymore-- if someone was annoying, you could just kick 'em out and have a replacement within seconds (or at worst, minutes).

The effect this had on the social fabric of the game cannot be overstated. And what’s more, a lot of people didn’t care. Taking the path of least resistance had a tradeoff of reduced quality of interaction, but the majority of players went with it all the same. And complained about how the game had changed, and began leaving. This was the start of the game’s long decline in participation rates, leading Blizzard to introduce even more “conveniences” that were solutions to non-existent problems. Certainly, many of their changes did help the game for the better, but many of them came about simply because the players whined about how something took too long, or whatever.

The TL;DR of this is: the customer is not always right. The customer wants the easiest way to do things, which is not always the best thing for the situation.

Oh, man. That sucks. I didn’t know they did WoW like that. One of the first things I always think when I think WoW is how they’ve got all these servers with different guilds and reputations…

Actulley i wrote a lenghty response to you about wow… but i ended up deleted it all becouse i just got in a bad mood thinking on how much blizzard fails over and over again.
And also its a little bit offtopic, but i will say this…

Yes, when it comes to blizzard, my “simple questions” might break down, but i think thats becouse we have diffrent synonyms of the word “accommodate” (or whatever word i used)

I think what im trying to say that Blizzard has lost it’s identity in so many games, and when it reaches that level blizzard is at, then the word is no longer “accomodate”… more like Blizzard morphs into “what the community wants” … and by “community” is? i dont know who community is… its no me anyway.

PS.
I think however that one of the thing WoW / Blizzard did right was to enable a community driven customizable UI… and i miss this alot in EVE.

1 Like

Eve needs redesigned drones control and ship control UI it’s not only archaic but not intuitive for newcomers

Eve needs more Linux love, there’s only so many ways you can roll a spreadsheet, however, external apps can certainly add to the experience improvement

Gaming IS opening up on Linux more and more, get onboard

Thats the word i was looking for when i was trying to explain eve ui :stuck_out_tongue:
Drone control ui is “ok” but as you say its archaic. I hate that the “fighting” message along with the drone hp-bar is the info that gets trunkated away when resize the window. (i alrady know what drones i launched!)
Kinda actually, this makes me think of charachter creation ui… where the camera is centered on the pelvic instead of the face…

UI needs a metric tone of work, but we can see CCP has no clue from the products being developed within the community, versus CCP developments like the… red dot… no one requested it, it isn’t needed, it wasn’t tested and it breaks everything in the UX handbook for UI development - so expecting CCP to actually do something positive is barking mad - but then, oddly, that’s been CCPs MO since forever… so take some comfort in that…

1 Like

Not long left :smug: maybe this is the year Eve dies?

Every day, is that day closer

A UI-facelift ? Be careful what you ask for. You may not like the result.

2 Likes