Eve Vision: play EVE without ever needing to leave EVE

Very cool

13 Likes

Looks nice. Eve at it kinda sorta should be. Iā€™ve bookmarked the page ā€¦

But I think Iā€™ll let it mature a bit before trying it out. Problem with 3rd party tools is they come and go, Iā€™d hate to rely on this for the plug to be pulled at some point.

@CCP_Aurora However, possibly CCP should take note :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very cool, Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Might as well ban users that have multi-monitors then. Or play in a tabbed window.

Edit: This is what the eve in-game browser should have been.

7 Likes

Not sure what you mean. The only feedback I saw was setting destination from within Eveeye. Youā€™ve been able to do this and from Evemarketeer for as long as Iā€™ve been playing (3 years+).

Then report and let CCP judge that. Not you.

Now I expect a multi paragraph tiradeā€¦

6 Likes

The biggest take from this, is just how utterly incompetent CCP are at designing/developing the EVE UIā€¦

3 Likes

Is this software free?

So really, if EveVision is available to everyone free of charge, then thatā€™s more fair than others using multi-monitor setups or multi-boxing, since there are financial impediments for some to utilize those.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Or maybe, just maybe, people interpret you as pissing all over something that took someone a lot and time effort to make, and they believe that your reasoning for doing so is flawed.

@Steve_Ronuken
Hey bro, I thought you might be a good person to ask? Are any features of EveVision that are in violation the EULA, or in a grey area?

3 Likes

Looks nice.

1 Like

Now we only need player made CQ back.

3 Likes

I call BS on that. People will pounce on forum whiners, and canā€¦ adamantlyā€¦ disagree with each other, but they tend not to piss on other peopleā€™s achievements. In fact, they can often be quite supportive.

Yeah, you rightly called somone out on using a strawman argument, but you then used a hasty generalization when you claimed that everyone was using strawman arguments, and are now using a reductio ad absurdum.

Finally, you do know that the EULA says ā€œunfair advantageā€ and not ā€œsignificant advantageā€ (or even advantage). I mean, all of the third party tools worth their salt give a significant advantage. The question is whether or not they give an unfair advantage, and we are talking about a (1) free program that is available to everyone without restriction, and that (2) seems to be more of a QOL thing than anything else. Moreover, if people do use other programs and plugins in combination with this program in way that is in violation of the EULA, that doesnā€™t make this program guilty by association. You have to consider what it does on itā€™s own. The only caveat to that would be that Iā€™m sure that CCP has the right to prohibit the program if it makes it too easy for other EULA violating code to be used. But, that would be up to CCP.

Holy crap, how is it that every post you make has like 12 things I disagree with in it. I canā€™t even touch on them all without writing one thousand word walls of text. And, I still owe you a reply from the last thread we were arguing in. Sigh, I think I might do like Paul Torin and toss the baton to someone else for this thread.

4 Likes

very noice, thanks for sharing

1 Like

Iā€™m not part of CCP, so bear that in mind. Everything is purely my opinion.

That said, as far as I understand it, Eve Vision is just a browser being injected in the same way that the steam browser is.

It makes no changes to Eve. Thus, itā€™s ok.

But like I said, Iā€™m not part of CCP. And Iā€™ve not really looked into at it.

7 Likes

Once you take into account the amount of intel that can be brought in across multiple characters and the control looped back to the client through ESI, I really struggle to understand how someone can look at it and not see that it provides a significant unfair advantage.

ā€¦What? You are just stringing random words together at this point. You hate my program so much that you had to continue this tirade from Discord three weeks ago the last time you saw my program talked about? For reference, this guy spent a bunch of time trying to convince everyone on a Discord server of the same thing. He REALLY does not like that this program exists, and Iā€™m not sure why.

Not to beat a dead horse, but let me yet again invalidate your arguments since you seem to want to ensure my hard work goes to waste:

• It doesnā€™t let you see any extra information you couldnā€™t before. Additional monitors, pinning browsers with DisplayFusion etc, or even just using windowed mode with a browser next to it has always been around. Several tools already draw over EVE. So this part doesnā€™t matter whatsoever.
  • The ability to go back and forth between EVE and EveVision windows isnā€™t some special thing enabled by it ACTUALLY drawing in the game. Pinned windows already work the exact same way. That one DPS graph overlay comes to mind. So, this part of your argument is also invalid.
  • Your remaining argument for unfairness is that other players donā€™t have it as part of the installer. They also donā€™t have any of these other third party tools that weā€™ve been using for a decade. Are you telling me we should ban D-Scan Info? Dotlan? ESI in general?
  • And finally, regarding your point where ā€˜a bot writer could write all the tools to read game data and chain together actions but not actually write the behaviourā€™ā€¦ Yeah, thatā€™s trueā€¦ except I didnā€™t write a single thing that enables you to violate the EULA any more than you already could. If a web-based tool violates the EULA, itā€™s gonna violate it whether or not itā€™s inside EveVision. We should ban Chrome too while EVE is running, I guess? This is literally just Chromium with the ability to draw over EVE, something that is fundementally no different than an always-on-top Chrome browser.

You seem to just be one of those types of people who likes to be controversial for the sake of it. Get over yourself. The only thing EveVision does is level the playing field, it doesnā€™t make it more unfair. Maybe if youā€™re the only one out of 2000 people saying something, youā€™re the incorrect one.

20 Likes

Seeā€¦

I was not wrong. There is not a thread on these forums with Lucas in it, that does not devolve into a ping pong match. All for the sake of having the last word.

I am done with this thread.

Awesome stuff with the development. I donā€™t like using 3rd party software in games but it looks awesome. Until CCP decides this is an issue but I cannot see that happening, ignore Lucas.

11 Likes

Its not like you have contributed something of value.

Your basis for continuing to express objection at the existence of this software.

Funny, when I decided an article on the impact of ganking was fairly irrelevent for the same reason, you discounted it.

Your hypocritical ramblings are just that,m being a grumpyold man yelling at a cloud. You literally add nothing but division.

So yeah like I said, you want kudos for defending your own hypocritical, unsupported view and are getting pissy when called on it, and calling it a virtue.

Oy vey, please stop standing so close to me in the store, Boomer.

6 Likes

Oh, I get it, youā€™re one of those people who just immediately says ā€˜stop having a tantrumā€™ whenever someone calls you out for your argumentative fallacies and truly believes they are the only proper debater in the room no matter what. The fact that you managed to be known for being an extraordinarily argumentative person on an MMOā€™s forum, and EVEā€™s forum at that, is honestly impressive.

Saying I donā€™t level criticism is a load of horse crap. You are the only one here that is 100% unwilling to budge on your opinion and accept that parts of your arguments are invalid. I am constantly listening to what people have to say and responding to them. And last I checked, in that Discord server we left off on a good foot and agreed that it just needs to be carefully managed, but here you are spewing your tirade again about how everyone using this should be banned.

Just as an example, people were freaking out because I said I might replicate NEAR2 myself. I decided that would be horribly unfair like NEAR2 itself is, and decided that I would never implement it nor would I allow any official plugin to do so. Iā€™ve spent hours discussing this program with various community leaders and CCP employees to ensure it doesnā€™t violate the EULA and never will.

So, no, Iā€™m not some random nullibear who has 2000 other nullibears behind me saying itā€™s great and could care less how it affects anyone else. The highsec miners love it. The russian wormholers love it. The jita traders love it. The lowsec FW people love it. Matter of fact, the nullsec groups are using it the least out of anyone due to how opsec they can be. This is actually probably the first time a third party tool DIDNā€™T benefit one group of players more than the other, this benefits every single player equally because itā€™s useful for everyone.

You know how you know someone has lost an argument in EVE? They start calling you out for being part of a nullsec group. Go ahead and ask Horde how active I actually am in nullsec space - I literally do nothing but make tools for EVE and blow up a ship once in a while. Look at my killboard. I donā€™t rat. I buy PLEX every few months, blow up ā– ā– ā– ā–  when my kid gives me the time to go on a fleet, and spend my hobby time working on EVE tools. I have zero real bias for any group or playstyle in this game.

There isnā€™t a single group of people this tool doesnā€™t benefit, and it only does so in ways that make the game nicer to play. Itā€™s making it better for everyone, and itā€™s free, and itā€™s open source. There is zero barrier to entry to using this. Itā€™s like saying CCP should ban better graphics cards since some players may not be able to afford them and it lets people be able to perform better in heavy fleet fights. The GPUs are available to make your gaming experience better, why canā€™t EveVision?

Not a single other person saw EveVision and went ā€˜ooh im really gonna get those ganks nowā€™ or ā€˜oh man thisā€™ll let us take over that sov spaceā€™. Not a single other person has seen this and thought ā€˜this is gonna negatively affect gameplay and hurt EVEā€™. If there is an unfair advantage, itā€™s so hilariously miniscule that it doesnā€™t matter. A person not using this will be at almost no disadvantage to someone who is. You are making a mountain out of a dustmite.

The only thing EveVision does that a normal always-on-top pinned browser cannot is let you still use your hotkeys while in a tool window. That may be unfair, and if it is decided to be so, I will remove that functionality.

The level of enjoyment and ā€˜easeā€™ you get out of EVE has been directly linked to what third party tools you use since 2004 when people were first scraping the public skill site, which is why the API was made in the first place. You use these high-level arguments so you can avoid the point, instead of realizing the basis of everything you stand on is meaningless. You arenā€™t against EveVision, youā€™re against third party tools in general, and you donā€™t even realize it.

10 Likes