Eve Vision: play EVE without ever needing to leave EVE

lucas is a troll
im new to the forum and i wasted one day of my life arguing whit him
then it clicked

the Enrichment Center urges you to disregard lucas advice

7 Likes

since he’s already replying, I wanted to make one more point without editing. If we boil it all down to ‘unfair advantage’… the key piece of it all, the part of the EULA we’re interpreting. Let’s just ignore everything else we’ve debated on so far.

What makes something unfair? Is it the unavailability to all players? The fact that the game doesn’t come with it? Both of these things are true for better graphics cards and larger monitors, both of which give you a distinct, HUGE advantage in using the EVE UI, and both of which have SIGNIFICANTLY higher points of entry than EveVision does.

EveVision is a single, free, open source EXE you click and run. It doesn’t even need to be installed. It requires zero setup or configuration. I’m even porting it to linux and mac to ensure those players have access to it too.

There isn’t a single player in EVE that won’t be able to make use of this. So there is no unfair advantage, and even if there was, there are already existing things that have WAY larger advantages and are WAY less accessible.

If anything, EveVision is leveling the playing field, making it so you don’t need to buy an ultrawide or a second monitor to keep up with those that did, in a game where nearly all the interaction is done through graphical interfaces. It’s making things more fair.

5 Likes

Your point about it enabling people to bring multiple characters worth of data into a single screen, however, is a very valid one I had not previously considered. I can potentially make it so these third party sites can only ESI authorize the currently logged in character. I will talk to people and see what they think about that.

3 Likes

sound super great @Jaydubs
can you port this for mac?

2 Likes

yes, I’m working on the mac/linux port for the month of May.

3 Likes

:smiley: :smiley: yes

1 Like

95% of EveVision already works natively in Wine AND most of EveVision can already be compiled to Linux/Mac natively. There’s just a bug we haven’t figured out.

2 Likes

@Nicolai_Serkanner its pretty bad when i agree with everything you’ve said.
@Jaydubs i most likely will not use it, maybe maybe not, but good luck with it, if it is still within CCP parameters
Wall of text incoming from Kellboy

1 Like

Well there’s someone who evidently never heard of much less used Overwolf…which CCP itself recommended to it’s players when they removed the ingame browser…and it was pretty much the same thing as this evevision is now…so…you know…I’m gonna suspect this eveview is probably not a ban…

Petition it and please report back the result, @Lucas_Kell

6 Likes

i can hear it in my head so clearly

‘rrrrroooooooooiiiiiighttttt’

1 Like

I wanted to read something about how secure this tool is, but I cant find anything. Is nobody concerned about security when downloading stuff from internet, stuff where you can write your passwords in? :thinking: :female_detective:

2 Likes

recreational developer spends time and energy making something cool like we havent seen since ig browser/eve central days.

Instead of community giving an o7 and thanks this entitled lot starts picking it apart.

5 Likes

Apparently if you support this, you’re a dirty nullbear alt.

Because “muh EULA”

1 Like

This is a good point. I have 3 displays -including a 4k TV, which allows me to tile 4 clients at 1080p (I use Kuroro Lucifer’s autohotkey script to position borderless windowed clients). So, I can multibox 5 clients at 1080p, and still have a display left over for 3rd party tools. This gives me an extreme advantage over anyone working from 1 display, and still a big advantage over people working from 2.

This tool helps level the playing field for those that don’t have the space and/or cash for multiple large displays.

Also, rate my setup.

5 Likes

I tried it and the browser window that is build in is very restricted in what I can do in it. Doesnt even have an adress bar, search field, bookmark folder or next/back buttons. In that form I only used jukebox more than anything, but it doesnt have a repeat button too. :confused:

1 Like

Yes, there isn’t really a fully fledged browser as of yet. This is very much still beta software. You can navigate back/forward with the mouse buttons, though.

Most of the bugs have been ironed out now, so we’ll be adding things like this over the coming weeks. What you see now is what I’ve accomplished in just a month.

I’ll ask Niedar to add a repeat button to the Jukebox - that was a community contribution!

3 Likes

I like this question!

Not only is the source code on GitHub, it’s also built entirely on GitHub. You can see the process happen live as I push code, and all the logs and artifacts from the builds are public too. For example, here’s the build that made 1.6.1: https://github.com/evevision/evevision/actions/runs/90875164

Additionally, the commits require a valid GPG signature that is stored on a physical YubiKey so you know for sure that it came from me. It’s near impossible for someone to hack my accounts and deploy malicious code. It’ll also be impossible for me to cry wolf and say I was hacked.

So, I’ve made it as difficult as possible for me (or anyone else!) to sneak any code in there without someone noticing and getting me permabanned by CCP. It’s also technically a federal crime to do so.

This contrasts starkly to web apps where you can’t really prove at all what they’re doing with the data.

Now, regarding the security of the actual tool itself and the browser - it is based on Electron, which is the same technology Discord and a few other very popular applications use to make desktop applications with web software. What you are seeing is really just Chromium (open source Google Chrome) processes running in the background and having their frames piped into EVE. I don’t have to worry about security because it’s handled by the Chromium team - I just have to keep my dependencies up to date. So, it’s as secure as your desktop browser.

5 Likes

I haven’t been able to get this feature to work. Assuming you mean the regular left/right click, that is.

The mouse4/5 on the side of the mouse.

Thanks, will give it a try!
(I use an MMO mouse with 12 buttons on the side, so it’s likely defaulting to some combo I haven’t discovered yet.)