Eve Vision: play EVE without ever needing to leave EVE

I am used to this:

Navigate back: Hold right mouse button + Drag left
Navigate forward: Hold right mouse button + Drag right

Reason is my mouse doesnt have 5 buttons

Oh jeebus. I donā€™t know what thatā€™s gonna look like to my codeā€¦ but uhā€¦ it should be whatever is called 4 and 5. Lemme know! Iā€™m interested if that kind of mouse will cause issues.

I will be adding the alt+left arrow, alt+right arrow combos to EveVision soon, maybe today. I keep forgetting that thereā€™s a default keyboard shortcut.

2 Likes

Iā€™m digging through the defaults in the mouse software, and it has keys assigned to num 0-9. Iā€™ll set those up and try them out, and report back on the results.

@Jaydubs
Iā€™m using a Logitech G600 MMO mouse, and the page forward/back defaults to the scroll wheel left/right.

That makes sense. Does using the scroll wheel left/right work in EveVision? I might need to get a mouse with one of those.

Sorry-- I should have specified, that is what it defaults to within EVE vision.

Perfect, then! Thank you for letting me know. Iā€™ll make it adjustable too.

5 Likes

WTF? This looks amazing! How did you do this integration without modifying the client?

2 Likes

Definitely an outstanding presentation.

Getting an endorsement from CCP would probably help a lot.

2 Likes

I highly doubt itā€™ll ever be endorsed by CCP, on contrary iā€™d bet if they ever give any reply at all - itā€™ll be a negative one since program seemingly injects itself into gameā€™s process and then reads and writes into gameā€™s memory.

It is a very good way to get oneself banned, if exposed. And/or get your account stolen.

I donā€™t know, looks like they did their homework:

A EULA-legal way to extend the UI of EVE Online.

Whatever the case is, this looks like an excellent application that should be implemented in the gameā€¦

1 Like

but Eve had an ingame browser and jukebox at some point. They were removed because of security concerns (and because it was a legacy code that is pita to maintain).

1 Like

Iā€™ll take the bet.

It was the maintenance CCP was fed up with in order to keep it secure; there were not security concerns in and by itself.

1 Like

can you dont put opposite things in the same sentence? If there werent any security concerns then it (an ancient version of chromium/webkit, aka Awesomium) wouldnā€™t have been cut to bare basics and then some more just to be able to exist ingame.

Say what?

When asked, CCP responded they didnā€™t want to spend resources to keep the software updated. Because of it becoming outdated there was more risk of vulnerabilities and it was eventually removed. It was not removed because it was unsafe perse. If you think it was thĆ© reason Iā€™m looking forward showing me where CCP says so.

Read this also on github, agree, this doesnā€™t seem pure ESI and overlay but code injection.

Soā€¦IS IT LEGAL??

Need CCP confirmation.

As far as anyone can tell thus far, itā€™s legal for the portion of having to do with injecting and overlaying. CCP probably wonā€™t ever officially comment on it, but it uses the exact same techniques as the Discord overlay, even to the point of being based on Electron like Discord is. The only difference is that itā€™s designed to look like EVE. There are hundreds of people already using this every day.

There is still some debate on whether or not this provides an ā€˜unfair advantageā€™, but mostly everyone believes that itā€™s OK here too since itā€™s accessible to everyone and really is a QoL thing more than anything.

Until you can be banned for using overlays like Discord or Mumble (which inject a DLL and hook DirectX/User32 just like EveVision), or they outright say EveVision isnā€™t allowed, you canā€™t be banned for this either (excluding using something in it that would get you banned anyways)

Conveniently, CCP also had explicitly stated that web browser overlays would be allowed a few years ago.

Hereā€™s the section on it from GitHub:

EveVision Core is as EULA legal as your Mumble overlay. CCP commented on this type of tool years ago: Overlays, ISK Buyer Amnesty and Account Security | EVE Online

We may, in our discretion, tolerate the use of applications or other software that simply enhance player enjoyment in a way that maintains fair gameplay. AS LONG AS itā€™s fair to everybody - neither you nor anybody else gets any unfair advantage ā€“ we are fine with it.

For instance, the use of programs that provide in-game overlays (Mumble, Teamspeak) is not something we plan to actively police at this time. This is an example of something we do NOT consider unfair, for now. This also includes other in-game overlays which do NOT grant you any unfair advantage. We do not consider it an unfair advantage if you can see who is currently talking in your voice communication tool via the means of an in-game overlay.

Most importantly, showing that this is not limited to Mumble or Teamspeak:

We also do NOT consider it unfair if you use other comfort overlays which do not affect how the game is played. This includes overlays for chat and IM applications, the Steam overlay, and Web-Browser overlays for example.

This tool cannot do anything like read the screen or perform ingame actions automatically (unless via ESI). It solely draws over EVE and intercepts input for the purpose of interacting with the EveVision windows.

However, keep in mind that CCP always retains the final say. They could full well decide in the future that EveVision is too much and should not be allowed - but in its current form there is no risk of a ban. Additionally, unofficial plugins in the future do not fall under this - if they provide an unfair advantage, it is still against the EULA, no matter what.

5 Likes