HUD Feedback Thread!

Where is the hamburger?

From the looks of it, are we are getting short changed all these icon positions? Where are the rack buttons?

Also what you are showing us is much larger than the HUD is now. I for one are the vast viewer who have a 1080p monitor. This appears to take up a lot more real estate, unless we can permanently opt out of the map portion, but then we lose some scanning function buttons.

I assume your image is not scaled down, so pixel for pixel your new HUD consumes 33% more horizontal space. Also the players with eye sight issues, won’t be happy about the microscopic buttons I highlighted in green. I didn’t get $10,000 lens put into each of my eyeballs to make me go blind. I see rather well at present, but there are some 20 to 40 year-olds in the audience wearing glasses.

Have fun!

4 Likes

Will you still be able to align the new hub to the top?

Yes, I absolutely think it’s easier to understand, and that’s with not having seen the new UI animate yet. Old UI has a ton of strange design choices that create a lack of clarity about how certain functions work. The new UI fixes several of those.

3 Likes

That seems to be the trend the past few years with the new UI changes, I guess it is some lead’s design principles. :thinking:

:psyccp:

1 Like

At first it will be Opt-In like Photon was. Then after a while you’ll have to Opt-Out, until eventually the “finished” product is fully live then you’ll be stuck with it, no going backwards.

2 Likes

My feedback from the new UI. I think:

#1. The overheat icon should be a heat icon and not an electric icon. I think it is misleading. Even if you are intentionally trying to change the terminology from “overheat” to “overload”, I still think thermal damage and a heat icon will better describe the damaging effects of this ability. After all, the skill for this is called thermodynamics.

#2. The module cycle animation looks like a sonar/radar. Because it is a gradient line, it does not provide a clear visual indicator of the cycle state like the old animation provided. I think this needs to be changed. I think the solid line around the icon is better with no visual distractions in the middle.

#3. I am not a fan of “active” and “inactive” indicators. Green is on. I’m sure you have your reasons for making it blue. If that is the case, I think both needs a different color. They should not be the same.

1 Like

my two cents for the capacitor graphic: make the glow’s alpha drop with cap %, which should alleviate any practical issues some people might have with the glow making it difficult to read (when it counts), and to further help readability (maybe as a setting), use a color gradient; maybe yellow → orange → red, as it approaches 0%

2 Likes

Seems like it’s going to take up more space, which I don’t like. But more so than that, people have adjusted for years to the HUD. The clicks are automatic, the locations unconsciously memorized.

Would it be any way possible to make it an option? Like you go into Settings, Display & Graphics, and choose? Since it’s already a working HUD, there wouldn’t be any real maintenance or bugs, it’s all been worked out. Then us old goats can keep playing without having to learn new tricks.

Other than that, it IS nice to see work being done on the game.

3 Likes

Maybe yes, maybe not. At the present way it looks. One can just take a glance and see the information in a moment. That does look promising.

Plus do realize that what we are seeing is not the final form either. Any or all of it might change. Maybe for the better, maybe not. Time will tell which way this goes. At the moment it does look promising. I am always cautious about something new or different. “It looks promising” is not the same as I am embracing everything and lighting my hair on fire and doing backflips off tables.

I know this was mentioned a few time, I want to vote on having the Health bar dynamic, where if you have 1000 health on Shield, 10,000 on Armor and 2500 on Hull to show that level amount displayed.

can we just have option to keep old hud please? i really dont want more clutter on screen :frowning:

8 Likes

You get your localized thousand separator. Not everyone in the world uses the comma to separate thousand portions in their numbers. More sane countries use dots.

2 Likes

My only complaint here is the capacitor. Currently the amount of “capacitor lines” represents total capacity while losing or gaining cap is represented to how much of the circular “pie” is missing or present.

The images of the new design in the blogpost seems to suggest that when you lose cap, you’ll lose radial “lines” rather than pie slices. I hope it stays as it is currently, to be consistent with the different HP bars.

Maybe the blog post needs a text clarification that everything is staying the same, and you’re just adding the “cap trend” gauge.

1 Like

Great thingking! New UI will make informaion read easy.But I really like current PIE style and that give me huge sense of fulfillment .Hope let PIE style keeping:)

I like the changes, but I really proactively dislike flat design. It just lacks the soul and identity, IMO. Every game and every piece of software in the past 10 years insists on having the same look and feel, and while it sure is “modern” and fitting to the Zeitgeist, it robs identity. If there is wiggle room for less flatness, and more feeling like those are real buttons, please use it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Absolutely love it! Bitter vets losing their mind over it makes me happy.

3 Likes

One important thing. Some of us are forced to play with Squared Monitors. I am, now playing with two dell squared monitors i think 17 inches and one UVGA 25601780 25’’ , and in other place i am forced to use a 19 square hp monitor. If we need have open a chat, can be a problem or need configurate each of pilots. The problem i see is 1280 * 1024 pixels is a need for some of us.

2 Likes

Again so much spam, this time about CCP being stupid enough to make more flashy GUIs with less functionality and usability. The current GUI already prove that guys, you don’t have to tell us anymore.

EDIT Forgot to mention the huge waste of screen area that always increases too. Like the years of trying to force us to at the very least double the area used by neocom, constantly changing our settings, making it impossible for new users to reduce to the size everyone used etc.

6 Likes

I’m afraid I find myself agreeing with most, if not all, of the criticisms outlined in some detail above. It is really bad. More screen space unnecessarily eaten. More bits and bobs all over the place adding to even more clutter. Talk about cognitive overload.

Perhaps the time could be spent more productively fixing all the issues with the Photon GUI…

6 Likes

I’m 44 and still have 10/10, age is not a sentence and I’d like to keep my UI minimal

1 Like